Author Topic: PH, KH, GH readings  (Read 3889 times) 4 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
PH, KH, GH readings
« on: October 24, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Although I have liquid-based test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, I had been using test strips for PH, KH, GH and chlorine. I had a liquid-based PH test kit in the past but it seemed to give an inflated reading in comparison with the LFS liquid-based test kits (different brands) and it seemed as though the test strips (Tetra or JBL) were more accurate and in line with the LFS results. However, my consistent 6.4 PH didn't seem to "tally" with what I'd just discovered on the local water supply's website, and I was never convinced that the colour-matching of the KH was that accurate (albeit reassured by the LFS that I was reading it correctly).

Liquid-based test kits which I sent off for arrived in today's mail. My results are as follows:
* Pre-water change: KH 3; GH 4; PH 7.5 (possibly 8.0!)
* Post-water change: KH 2; GH 4; PH 7.5.

Water quality results on local website are: PH 7.3-8.2 (min-max) with avg 7.84; Ca/l 10.00; Mg/l 1.49; mg/CaCO3 31.07; Clark 2.18; French 3.11; German 1.74; Soft (<50mg/l).

Hmmm - quite a difference in PH from what I'd thought, assuming that the liquid-based test kits (Aquality - German make) are accurate (this does seem to tally in with the water supply website), and the KH and GH are low.

On the basis of the above, besides the Tufa rock, ought I to take any action to improve the KH and GH, and, if so, what? As a reminder, I have x-ray tetras (been in the tank exactly a year) and harlequin rasboras (been in the tank 5mths) but the pygmy cories didn't fare well. An Indian Almond Leaf has been in the tank for the past 5 days too.

Offline Sue

Re: PH, KH, GH readings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
Have you tested the GH and KH of your tapwater? Water companies do not seem to give KH or alkalinity, their term for it.

Your tank GH of 4 compares to the water company's value of 1.4 German degrees, so your tufa rock is doing something.

1 german deg = 17.86 ppm so your 4 deg are between 73 and 89ppm. It could have been at the top end before the water change and at the bottom end after which is why the GH value stayed the same.
But your KH could have been right at the bottom of 3 deg which is why that one dropped after the water change.

With a KH this low, you are in danger of a pH crash. But if you do regular water changes without fail, this should not happen. It just means that all your KH will be used up quite quickly so you need to make sure it is topped up by regular water changes.

Your fish are fine in a GH of 4. This is more important then the value of your pH as long that stays stable.

You might find it better from a water chemistry point of view to do two or even three smaller water changes a week instead of one larger one. Since you are artificially raising your GH with tufa more smaller changes will alter the GH less at each water change.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »
Thanks, Sue.

Directly from the tap, the GH and KH are each 2.

I used to do smaller water changes twice a week but changed that to one large water change once a week, every Sat morn without fail, unless I'm going to be away which is very rarely, in which case I bring it forward by a couple of days and do an extra one mid-week the following week.

This is all very helpful to know, though - I'll now change this regime to 2-3 smaller water changes per week and keep monitoring the situation.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »
I'm noticing some changes, mainly an increase in PH from the tap and also in the tank, and a slight decrease in KH from the tap. There's also the matter of the inconsistency between the liquid-based tests and the test strips, and not sure which to believe.

Water directly out of tap:
KH 1, GH 2, PH 7.5 [liquid-based tests]; KH 3ish, GH 3, PH 6.4 [test strips]

Water in tank which has Tufa rock in it but also 2 Indian almond leaves]:
KH 3, GH 5, PH 8.5 [liquid-based tests]; KH 7ish, GH 6, PH 7 [test strips]

Given the water from the tap has such low KH and GH, I'm assuming I absolutely need to keep the Tufa rock in. However, *if* the PH of 8.5 is accurate, that's rather too high for my fish (x-ray tetras and harlequin rasboras). Are there any alternatives that might keep the KH and GH at an acceptable level, but without increasing the PH? Or, given that everything is fine and everyone looks perfectly healthy and content, just leave everything "as is"?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »
Hardness is more important than pH. As long as the fish look and behave OK, I would leave things alone.

I recently read of a study done in Germany, dissecting dead cardinal tetras that had been kept in hard water. They lived around 5 years when the life expectancy in the "correct" water is 10 years. All the cardinals they looked at had calcium deposits in their kidneys. This shows why the "correct" hardness is important.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "PH, KH, GH readings"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
75 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
by jesnon
75 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 11:28:52 AM
by pollydoodle
21 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 10:08:07 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
by jaypeecee
16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2021, 04:40:19 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: