Newbie Fishless Cycling - Too Soon To Worry?

Author Topic: Newbie Fishless Cycling - Too soon to worry?  (Read 6415 times) 14 replies

Offline Gingerstu

Newbie Fishless Cycling - Too soon to worry?
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all

I've been lurking in the background of this forum for a couple of months and thought its about time I took the plunge...

I was lucky enough to yet an aquarium last month for my birthday.  So setup my juwel lido 120 (without carbon sponge in filter) with silica sand substrate, a bit of inert rock and some Sumatra wood, added the water with api conditioner and off we go...

After running filter for 24 hours @ 30c
Ph 6.9; gh 2; kh 2; nh4 0; no2 0; no3 0

Then added 3ml ammonia
Day 1: ph 8.2; gh 2; kh 2; nh4 4; no2 0; no3 0
Day 2: ph 7.3; gh 2; kh 2; nh4 4; no2 0; no3 0
Day 3: ph 7.1; gh 2; kh 2; nh4 3; no2 0; no3 0
Then same readings every few days until today:
Day 17: ph 7.0; gh 2; kh 2; nh4 2; no2 0; no3 0

I'm using a combination of api and jbl liquid tests

Fortunately I don't appear to have experienced ph crash, at least not yet, which was something I was worried about given the low kh.

There is some growth on the wood, a kind of wispy white film which I guess is to be expected at this stage and will eventually disappear once balance is achieved in the tank (or eaten by the inhabitants once arrived)?

Given my manchester water is ridiculously soft (hopefully good for the tetras and corys i intend to get once cycled) i believe this will likely be slowing the cycle down due to limited carbonates for the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria, but wondered if from the stats above it looks like the tank is actually cycling, albeit very slowly, or whether I need to intervene (I think I read somewhere that ammonia could absorb into the substrate and so look like its falling and give false impression tank is cycling, but in reality nowt is happening?)

Should I add bicarbonate of soda to up kh to chivvy things along and buffer against poss ph crash, or just wait it out a bit longer (happy to be patient if there is something happening)

My plan is to plant up once cycled and get some Corys, neons, pair of rams, maybe pencilfish (and maybe otos eventually once everything has matured).

Any advice welcomed.

Ta

Stu

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Newbie Fishless Cycling - Too soon to worry?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »
Yes, you need to add some bicarb. You won't have a pH crash yet as ammonia is alkaline and pushes the pH up as shown by the pre ammonia addition pH; it's nitrite and nitrate that are acidic and push it down. My KH is only 3 and I did have a pH crash at that stage of the cycle. Try dissolving 1 tablespoon (15ml spoon) in  tub of tank water and adding that to the tank. Measure the KH after half an hour or so to let it mix in. Add more bicarb as necessary to get the KH to at least 7, and keep an eye on it during the rest of the cycle. You'll remove it all when you do the huge water change at the end.

I am curious as to where your ammonia is going, though - dropping to 2 without any sign of nitrite or even nitrate. I think I'd be inclined to add some more ammonia to get it back to 3.0 and see what happens. I only discovered recently that the bacteria need carbonate to multiply, so it could be your low KH that is affecting the cycle.

Your fish wish-list sounds fine for your water. Though bear in mind that rams sometimes do badly at temps below 28 to 30 deg - temps that are too hot for cories. With rams, it depends on how many generations ago their wild ancestors were. Fish that have been tank bred tolerate lower temps more readily, but some breeders use wild caught fish to introduce more genes into the gene pool. This results in a reduced tolerance of low temps.
Look at the dwarf cories (pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus) or even pandas as the Lido is a cubic tank with a smallish footprint.

PS just seen your post on another site - listen to what twotankamin says!

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:21:10 AM »
PS just seen your post on another site - listen to what twotankamin says!
Time to put on my unofficial pointy blue hat and get persnickety! Care to give us a summary please? We can't learn from other people's experience if we don't know the resolution that's been recommended. (Or violently disagree with it and curse everyone involved as being... well that's not going to happen  :) )

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
The other site referred to and the member's name I gave, is the one who wrote the new fishless cycling method I have shamelessly rewritten on here as my new fishless cycling method. At the time I found the OPs post over there yesterday evening, there was no reply. I haven't gone there yet this morning as I always come here first, but when I do, if I find a reply from that member I will paraphrase it here too.

OK, just checked. That member has replied. In summary, he says:

add crushed coral for the pH and KH (though I always thought it was too slow to dissolve for use during cycling, and was for use afterwards).
a drop in ammonia with no rise in nitrite is not possible
he calculates that for the tank size, amount of ammonia added and the reulting ppm, the ammonia would have been a 14% solution which is not a strength usually made
he warns against using 2 brands of tester for the same thing; you should use the same one for each substance
and finally he says that the numbers make no sense so must be inaccurate. He wants someone to explain the rise then fall in pH and the disappearance of the ammonia or he is going to believe the test reults are wrong.

Anyone lese have any theories? Because like that member on the other site, I'm stumped too.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Gingerstu..... can't help you on this one, but you're in good hands.

However; forum rules dictate that a picture is required very soon. ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
As you know, I'm not a chemist but I have a... well theory is far too strong a word for it, here goes.

Let's assume the test results are correct, otherwise we're just blowing smoke. The fall in pH could well be explained by the fall in ammonia, there is nothing to buffer the pH in water so soft.

So what is making the ammonia fall? "A drop in ammonia with no rise in nitrite is not possible." I hate statements like this; They make my mind scrabble round looking for reasons why they're false. Here's one. The consumption by plants on ammonia will not cause a rise in nitrites. The nitrogen is used to make proteins. The implication of Ginger's original message, "My plan is to plant up once cycled", seems to be that he has none; But algae could be causing this couldn't it? The only problem is that he doesn't mention algae!

Of course, the test results could be wrong!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
That's one thing I forgot to copy over - the chap on the other site says the plants should be put in before starting to cycle, another difference from the original add and wait method.
From the way he writes, he thinks either the OP measured the ppm incorrectly when he added the ammonia (hence the backwards calculation to find the strength of the ammonia solution in the bottle) or that he is using two different ammonia testers randomly to give the odd results (he says to use the same tester every time).

I should say that the chap on the other site is American and has done a lot of research on cycling which is why he was asked to write up this new method. He strongly advocates the use of Dr Tim's One & Only, a bottled bacteria product we can't get over here.

And in case you were wondering Steve, it is the site you posted on while this one was down last year. Though of course you could have posted on several sites ;)

Offline SteveS

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »
I sort of guessed it might be, the trouble is, I don't post on any other sites anymore; Now TF is back, I am faithful. Unlike some other wayward spirits I know :) Also, I don't actually remember what site that was!

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »

Oh...Steve's a SMURF! ;D.....and who is this Persnickety??? and why is Steve going to get him? ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Gingerstu

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.

On reflection, I can only think that I must have misread the initial ammonia readings and so started out on 3ppm not 4ppm.
I have tested the water again today (day 19) and readings are the same as day 17 which at least reassures me the ammonia has dropped from 3ppm to 2ppm (unless I really am hopeless at reading the tests).

I am hoping that the absence of nitrite at the moment just means the cycle is slow and the recent drop in ammonia means things are happening but I haven't quite reached the point were nitrite bacs are in sufficient number to be measurable on my test kit (and for the sake of clarity, I am using one product per parameter test, just Api for some tests and jbl for others)

I haven't yet planted up as I thought to do so would encourage algae given lights would need to be on.  I had intended to plant when make the big water change at the end to remove nitrates, and then add the fish.  Don't understand why plants should be in from the start?

I can't see any algae so far to explain the fall in ammonia (albeit arguably now from 3ppm to 2ppm) and presume if there was some I would  know about it. I had just assumed the drop in the ammonia was all part of the process but one which was going slowly for me, but thought I'd check with you guys just in case (even if it was reassurance that all was well), hence the original question.

I will take your advice sue and add some bicarb and go from there.

Thanks

Stu

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »
When the ammonia eating bacteria start to use the ammonia and make nitrite, the nitrite level goes up quite quickly. 1ppm ammonia is converted to 2.6ppm nitrite. So even a small drop in ammonia, too small to accurately measure, results in a nitrite level that shows up quite clearly when you test. And that same 1ppm ammonia is processed further by the nitrite eaters to make 3.6ppm nitrate.

I should add that all the nitrate tests for use in the home are not terribly accurate - you'd need lab equipement for really accurate results. Home testers give a ball park figure, and are best used as a series of tests showing a trend. They are also very easy to mis-use. Whatever the make, with liquid regent testers there is one bottle that has to be shaken really well. A lot of people don't read the instructions properly, don't shake the bottle and test tbe, and get very inaccurate results. Not that I'm accusing you of failing to shake them, but I always remind people that it needs to be done  :D

Personally, I think adding bicarb will help a lot. Once you have completed the cycle, you could use crushed coral to raise GH, KH and pH slightly. Either a bag in the filter or even mixed with gravel on the bottom of the tank. It will dissolve slowly and won't add any sodium to the water like bicarb does - that's why you can't use bicarb when you have fish. I don't think crushed coral dissolves fast enough to get the KH level high enough for fishless cycling, which is why I suggest bicarb.

Offline Gingerstu

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
Thanks sue

Makes sense. I have tried to be vigilant when testing to shake bottles, measure water in test tubes accurately, use daylight when reading colours etc. to mitigate against false readings... But who knows.

I've added the bicarb as you suggest and raised kh to 6-7 (drop 6 moved from blue to green, drop 7 moved from green to orange) so fingers crossed I might start seeing some definitive measurements for nitrite etc. at some point soonish

With regards adding coral once cycled, given I'm hoping to keep sw fish what effect would this have?  I presume the coral would buffer against a potential ph crash but I'm curious how likely this would be once the tank is cycled, stocked and regularly maintained - or would my water be too soft even for soft water fish?

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
If you want exclusively soft water fish, your water would be fine. The only problem you may have is with the pH. Keep a close eye on it (by that I mean test daily) and you'll find out immediately if the pH starts to fall. If it doesn't after a few weeks with a fully stocked tank, just check before a water change. If it does fall, try a bit of crushed coral. Not enough to make the water un-soft (if there is such a word  ;D ) but enough to stop your pH crashing. My tapwater has a KH of 3. If I do weekly water changes of 25% minimum without fail, my pH is OK. It was when I got a bit lazy a few years ago and only did water changes every couple of weeks that I had a pH crash.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »
Sue, I think your chap on the other forum is wrong about planting the tank before the cycle is complete. There are two reasons for this. First, the plants are going to consume the ammonia in the tank in competition with the, hopefully, developing bacteria. Secondly, the plants consume, not only ammonia, but nitrates too and this, in association with the first point, is going to confuse the issue whilst evaluating the test results.

Ginger, when you go for plants you are going to have to be more careful than most of us. As a general guideline, plants that come from a soft water environment are going to tolerate being grown in hard water. The opposite is not generally true. So you are going to have to make sure the plants you select come from a soft water environment.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
Yes, that's what I always thought too regarding planting at the beginning.

I didn't know there were hard and soft water plants like with fish. I suppose it's obvious if you think about it. You learn something new every day  :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie Fishless Cycling - Too soon to worry?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 09:37:05 PM
by sunshine
19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 04:08:54 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
by Littlefish
425 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 10:08:56 PM
by Matt
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: