New Idea For Fishless Cycling

Author Topic: New idea for fishless cycling  (Read 14914 times) 38 replies

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
Re: New idea for fishless cycling
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey,

I've been on the add and wait stage with the same results since day 10 of cycling, today is day 34.

I checked pH today, it's perfectly within normal values at 7.4  :)

So tonight I added 1ppm of ammonia rather than 3ppm so we will see what the nitrite is doing tomorrow.

One thing I keep meaning to ask is the large water change that I'll need to do before I get the fish, how large is it?

Sorry I keep asking things that probably sound really daft  :-[

Tasha  :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Lake Tebera Rainbowfish (4) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Platy (6) - Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
The water change - at least 75%. It depends just how high your nitrates are. You want to get the reading close to your tap watre level.

We'll see what the lower dose of ammonia does.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
Hey,

Tonight nitrite was reading 0ppm after adding only 1ppm of ammonia solution last night, so I've added 2ppm tonight and will see what happens tomorrow.

Tasha  :D

Lake Tebera Rainbowfish (4) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Platy (6) - Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »
Hey,

Tonight nitrite was reading 1ppm  so I'll see what it says tomorrow and probably add some more then.

Tasha  :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »
It's looking good :-) don't worry about this stage - my nitrite stage was stuck for aaages! They're trickier than the ammonia eaters!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Hey guys,

Guess what..... its FINISHED!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I know I'm ridiculously over excited but it is exciting to me because it's my first tank.

So I have a list of plants and such that I need to get now to plant the tank ready for the fish. Shall I do my water change before or after planting the tank?

Sue you said a 75% water change didn't you? 75% of 150l water in the tank is 112.5l, that's a lot of water to change one bucket at a time  :o

Tasha :D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »
Congrats Tasha! Cycling seems to go on forever, I was jumping about when mine finally finished! I guess it would be easier to plant during the water change, though adding the water may mean the plants end up where you dont want them!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
Yes I did mean 75% or even more. It is the only time you'll ever have to do it. Hopefully. I do know how time consuming and tiring a big water change is when using buckets. Several years ago, I used a combination of Melafix and Pimafix for a sick gourami as I didn't know what the problem was. An hour later, I found all my pencilfish dead. So I did a 95% water change on a 125 litre tank to remove the meds as fast as possible.

How high is your nitrate reading? The purpose of the water change is to get that down to just above the tapwater level. In theory, this new version of fishless cycling shouldn't make too much nitrate - the old way, especially the version that said to add 5ppm ammomia doses, would end up with a nitrate level too high for the test kit to read. If your nitrate is not too bad you could get away with a smaller water change.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
Hey,

The tank has been finished for a while now and I planted it when I did the big water change. So today I went out and bought my first fish! ;D

I'm really pleased with them as they're gorgeous and seem to be settling in okay.

I have some pictures, where shall I put them?

Tasha  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09:25 PM »
There is a section called Gallery Showcase near the bottom of the forum.

What did you get?

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
I got some silver tip tetra, they're really pretty little things :D

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
I have just used this method for my 38 litre tank and its worked an absolute treat, thanks!  ;)

Bala / Silver Shark (5) - Congo Tetra (23) - Rosy Barb (17) - Golden Nugget Plec (2) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Tiger Barb (23) - Clown Loach (5) - Denison's Barb (7) - Black Neon Tetra (21) - Rummy Nose Tetra (15) - Panda Cory (4) - Fiveband Barb (10) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Yoyo Loach (3) - Denison's Barb (5) - Checkered Barb (7) - Cherry Barb (5) - Congo Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (13) - Zebra Danio (5) - Honey Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Bala / Silver Shark (7) - Tinfoil Barb (5) - Rosy Barb (13) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Congo Tetra (13) - Golden Nugget Plec (4) - Tiger Barb (17) - Ticto Barb (13) - Silver Dollar (1) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
Glad to hear someone else who used it. How long did your cycle take? I used a modified verion of the old method (usng 1ppm till enough of both bacteria had grown for that amount, then increasing ammonia doses in stages) and it took me 48 days. It would be interesting to see if yours was less than that - it's supposed to be.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
Hi Sue

Its taken about 32 days. I cranked the heat up to about 30 degrees and had the water line below the filter outlet so it 'rainfalled' down creating lots of bubbles. I dosed to get it around 3ppm. Its been fantastic. Now I am just being a bit careful and will ensure that it is 0ppm amm/nitrite 24 hours after a few more times before adding any fish just to be totally sure (also because it will be next Sunday at the very earliest I can get fish anyway).

I would recommend this method to anyone.  :D

Bala / Silver Shark (5) - Congo Tetra (23) - Rosy Barb (17) - Golden Nugget Plec (2) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Tiger Barb (23) - Clown Loach (5) - Denison's Barb (7) - Black Neon Tetra (21) - Rummy Nose Tetra (15) - Panda Cory (4) - Fiveband Barb (10) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Yoyo Loach (3) - Denison's Barb (5) - Checkered Barb (7) - Cherry Barb (5) - Congo Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (13) - Zebra Danio (5) - Honey Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Bala / Silver Shark (7) - Tinfoil Barb (5) - Rosy Barb (13) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Congo Tetra (13) - Golden Nugget Plec (4) - Tiger Barb (17) - Ticto Barb (13) - Silver Dollar (1) -

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Sue

Where did you find this new method, out of interest?

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
On another fish forum. I'm not going to name it because the forum in question gives warning points, then bans members who give links to other general fishkeeping forums. I don't know if the owner of Thinkfish does the same but I'm not going to risk it  ;D

The chap on the other forum is American (let's call him TwoTankAmin, or TTA for short). He is a follower of everything Tim Hovanec says. That is the man who discovered the species of bacteria that grow in our filters, and proved they were not the same ones that was originally thought; that is, not the ones that grow in industrial situations.
TTA did a lot of research into cycling and in particular all the writing by Tim Hovanec. He discovered that the main reason that fishless cycles took as long as they did was because high nitrite levels stalled the cycle. Most nitrite testers do not go high enough. The API one, for instance, only goes up to 5ppm. Once the level in the tank goes higher than this, we have no idea how high it actually is. The test shows 5ppm regardless of how high it really is, but that 5ppm colour was interpreted as meaning exactly 5ppm, so people thought their levels were low enough. Diluting the tank water needs distilled water and very accurate measurements. The cycle stalls when the nitrite level gets over 15ppm. The old method of cycling created nitrite levels much higher than this.
TTA also discovered that Tim Hovanec had found that the filter bacteria do not starve and die within hours as was previously thought. The ammonia eaters can go several days without food before coming to harm.
So he devised a new fishless cycling schedule, which I have shamelessly paraphrased on here, which limits the addition of ammonia to amounts which prevent the nitrite level exceeding 15ppm.

I used a variant of the old method when I cycled a 25 litre tank this spring. I knew about high nitrite stalling a cycle; I knew that the nitrite tester would read 5ppm regardless of how high it actually was; but I did not know about the ammonia eaters being able to go for several days without food. I used the old add and wait method, but dosing to only 1ppm ammonia. And I did a water change just before adding the ammonia dose evey time the nitrite reading showed 5ppm (easy with just 25 litres). Then once the nitrite level had dropped to zero 24 hours after adding ammonia, I increased the amount of ammonia I added.
This took 48 days to complete the cycle.

I was interested to know if TTA's newer method would cycle any faster which is why I posted it on here. If he had written it in time, I would have used his method to see what happened.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
It took 43 days to complete the cycle using this method for my 180l tank. It only until day 10 before I needed to start testing the nitrite levels but from this point until day 34 they alternated readings between 5ppm 24hours after adding the 3ppm dose of ammonia solution and 0ppm 48hours after adding the ammonia. I was using the API kit so the nitrite levels were probably higher than 5ppm at some tests.
At day 34, I added the maintenance dose (1ppm) of ammonia solution to see how much nitrite was in the water after 24hours, the tests showed that there was no nitrite left in the tank 24hours after adding 1ppm of ammonia solution. I then added 2ppm of solution and followed the same procedure as the method specified until the readings after 24hours were zero for ammonia and nitrite at a 2ppm dose of the ammonia solution. Once this point was reached I added 3ppm and was back to the original method.
I think that if I had added 1ppm at the beginning and increased it to 3ppm by the method above it would have taken a lot less time as there was only 9 days between the points where I changed my method.

Tasha :D

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
I have already cycled my 38 litre tank using this method and have now started a cycle on my new 64 litre this way too! Its so easy and I highly recommend it!  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
I'm glad to hear someone else is happy with this method, as I haven't used it myself yet.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New idea for fishless cycling"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 04:08:54 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2017, 09:06:03 PM
by Paddyc
425 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 10:08:56 PM
by Matt
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: