Author Topic: Struggling with cycling  (Read 3911 times) 11 replies

Offline LizFish

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Struggling with cycling
« on: November 29, 2016, 05:51:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I am trying to cycle a 55 litre tank (fishless cycle). I have been adding 2.1ml of ammonia to get a reading of about 2 - 3ppm every other day for about three weeks. Ammonia levels have been stable and nitrites went up and dropped and I now have nitrates.
Today, after adding ammonia I have readings of ammonia - 5.0ppm, Nitrate - 80.0 and nitrites - 0.25.

I think I've done the cycle wrong having read other posts. Is there any way for me to rectify this or do I have to start again from scratch.

Thank you.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Angelfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Glowlight Danio (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Pearl Gourami (1) - Yoyo Loach (4) - Panda Cory (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Struggling with cycling
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »
Hi LizFish  :wave:

Yes, you have gone a bit wrong, I'm afraid. Have you been following the method on here, and misunderstood what I wrote?

With the method on here, you add enough ammonia to get 3 ppm then wait. And if the cycle goes anything like mine did, you wait some more, and then some more. At first you test every third day and only add more ammonia when the ammonia reading is less than 0.75 and the nitrite reading is over 2 ppm.

The problem with adding too much ammonia is that it gets turned into rather a lot of nitrite, and at levels over about 15 ppm it inhibits the growth of the nitrite eating bacteria. But our test kits can't measure that high; once the level reaches the highest colour on the chart it still reads as that highest colour. We could have 50 ppm nitrite and it would still show as the highest colour of the tester.

But all is not lost. With 55 litres it is fairly easy to remove all the water (I had a 50 litre tank until recently). What I suggest you do it a total water change, don't forget the dechlorinator and warm the replacement water as cold tap water is very cold at this time of year. Switch everything back on and let it run half an hour then test for ammonia. You won't be able to get all the water out so you may have a small reading for ammonia. The next step is to add enough ammonia to get the reading up to 3 ppm - don't forget to allow for any ammonia still in there.
Because you will most likely have grown some ammonia eating bacteria, I suggest you test every second day for ammonia and nitrite rather than every third day. You are looking for the day that your ammonia is less than 0.75 and nitrite above 2.0. This will mean you are at stage #6 of the method on here.
When I cycled a sponge filter for my betta's tank earlier this year I got to this stage on day 28. Since it is 3 weeks since you first added ammonia, it should not be much longer till you are at stage #6; you might even be there already. The test results 2 days after refilling the tank and adding ammonia will tell you.

You say your nitrate is at 80 ppm. Can I ask, are you using liquid tests or strips? And if it is liquid tests, are you shaking one of the nitrate reagent bottles till your arm falls off? All liquid testers have one bottle that needs to be shaken really well or they give false results. This is because one chemical in the bottle settles out and all the shaking is needed to redissolve it.

Offline LizFish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Hi Sue,

I'm using a liquid testing kit and there is some sediment in the bottom of the tube. Does that mean that the nitrates could be even higher?
I was trying the follow the cycle on the link but I've been putting Ammonia in to frequently I think.
I will do a big water change and then check the Ammonia levels and add a bit more. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for your help.

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Angelfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Glowlight Danio (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Pearl Gourami (1) - Yoyo Loach (4) - Panda Cory (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »
Nitrates are the least accurate of our tests - it needs expensive lab equipment for real accuracy.

In the UK we are allowed up to 50 ppm in drinking water. But your 80 ppm is a lot higher than that so either it is a false test or you do have some nitrite eating bacteria turning nitrite into nitrate.
The simple way to tell is to test the nitrate of both your tap water and your tank water and compare them to each other - before you do the water change  :) . If they are the same colour, whatever the actual reading, there are no nitrite eaters yet and all the nitrate is from your tap water. But if your tank level is higher than your tap level, the nitrate must be coming from somewhere and unless you are adding plant fertiliser, the only place it can be coming from is bacteria making it.

Offline LizFish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
Hopefully it's bacteria. I test my other tank with the same kit and I either get O nitrates or 0.25.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »
Do you have another tank? If you do and it's been running a while, all you need to do is steal some media from that tank's filter - up to a third - and put in the cycling tank's filter.

I'm curious - how do you get a reading of 0.25 for nitrate? Mine goes from 0 to 5 and all I can say is between those colours  :)

Offline LizFish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 07:31:56 PM »
It's the NT Labs testing kit. I think I will go for a different one next time though.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
I've seen those on-line, though I have the API ones.

The best brand is Salifert. They cost about the same to buy but do fewer tests. Their nitrate tester is supposed to be more accurate because Salifert use powders rather than liquids.

I don't even have a nitrate tester at the moment. I do have pH ammonia and nitrite though  ;D

Offline LizFish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:10:51 PM »
Hi again,

so I've drained the tank, tested ammonia and got a reading of 0. I've added enough ammonia to get up to 3ppm.
48 hours later and ammonia and nitrite readings are zero.
I'm assuming that I need to add ammonia again today and test again in 48 hours????

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 10:06:43 PM »
@LizFish You could if you wanted but I think the cycle has completed ! :) Perhaps if you are unsure add 1ppm - which is a maintenance level if you cant stock immediately then check tomorrow. If both are at 0ppm them check for NitrAtes, do a water change to drop nitrate to around 20ppm AND GO BUY FISH !!!!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Or if you want to be extra cautious, add 3 ppm ammonia and test after 24 hours. If that gives two zeros, you are definitely cycled  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
Oh, how exciting.  ;D

:fishy1:  :fishy1:    :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1: :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Struggling with cycling"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 09:46:39 AM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
by Gaynor
Cycling

Started by ColB « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

24 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 11:46:09 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 12:37:20 PM
by Robert
28 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 04:31:10 PM
by Sanjo
3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 08:10:02 AM
by fcmf
32 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 08:31:43 AM
by Marcus_F

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: