Maturing New Sponge Filter. COMPLETE In 23 Days.

Author Topic: Maturing new sponge filter. COMPLETE in 23 days.  (Read 15401 times) 53 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Maturing new sponge filter.
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
At least you noticed.  ;D

Yeah finally  ::)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
That's the old method, the one you'll find just about everywhere, add more ammonia every time it drops to zero. There used to be a sticky for that method on here till I unstickied it after I wrote up the newer method.

All you have to do is a big enough water change to get the nitrite reading somewhere on the scale, then you'll know it isn't past the critical 15 ppm.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »
The cycle stalls above 15?

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 09:41:24 PM »
Yes. That's why the chap who invented the new method did so. At 15ppm, the growth of the nitrite eaters is inhibited. And the very high nitrate levels generated by the old method also inhibits them.
The problem is that our test kits don't go nearly high enough, and to do a proper dilution test you need very accurate measuring equipment and pure water. The thinking behind the method I've written up on here is that if you follow it the nitrite level cannot exceed 15ppm. With the old add-ammonia-every-time-you-get-zero method, the nitrite level got well over 15 ppm and fishless cycles took ages, longer than the 7 weeks mine took.

But if you've been adding 1 ppm ammonia rather than 3ppm, your nitrite shouldn't have got terribly high. It might have got over 15, but not hugely over. The good news is that getting it down below 15 ppm starts the nitrite eaters off again.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
Ok thanks Sue. I'm not going to do it now as there's nothing alive in there but plants but tomorrow after college I'll do a big water change and get the nitrites down to a more acceptable level.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »
Did a 50% water change yesterday and ended up with 0 nitrite so added a full dose of 1 ml ammonia. Tested just now and there's zero ammonia in the water but we're having to make an educated guess on the level of the nitrite because the colour of the solution in the test tube bears little similarity to the colour on the chart.  :-\ I think it must have faded or something.

So we're going with 2ppm of nitrite and I'm going to add 1/3 dose of ammonia.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »
Did a 50% water change yesterday and ended up with 0 nitrite so added a full dose of 1 ml ammonia. Tested just now and there's zero ammonia in the water but we're having to make an educated guess on the level of the nitrite because the colour of the solution in the test tube bears little similarity to the colour on the chart.  :-\ I think it must have faded or something.

So we're going with 2ppm of nitrite and I'm going to add 1/3 dose of ammonia.

The shades on the nitrite scale are very close to each other aren't they!?

I found towards the end of my cycle I would do two nitrite tubes 5 minutes apart and compare the second one to the first one (having sat 5 mins) to see how much it had changed. It was more accurate than making an estimate which shade on the chart was closest.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
My solution looks nothing like the colours on the chart. Thats why I think it might have faded. Its the chart I got with the kit when I first started fish keeping. I just buy replacement bottles when I run out.

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
I have three nitrite shade cards, two single ones and one with all the testers on. The colours are different on all the cards  :-\

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Back from my sisters finally and Ive just run some water tests, 0 ammonia and nitrite. I don't know if my son kept up with testing while I was away, so I've added a full dose and I'll see what happens overnight.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
Sounds like you're almost there. Fingers crossed.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 09:14:47 PM »
Ta Simon.  :) Even if its cycled I wont be adding the shrimp yet, I want the plants well established first and they seem happy enough in the quarantine tank.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
I am considering starting a quarantine tank after my house move, around a 25-40 litre with a bio sponge filter... Is it possible to add bio sponge filter media to my big external tank to start it cycling? Or would it trigger a mini-cycle in my big tank?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:13 PM »
I asked that question and nope you cant, it wont work, unless you have a way of adding mature filter media to it. Once a filter is cycled you can add to a tank as additional filtration and then add it to a quarantine tank as necessary.

Readings today: 0 ammonia 2-5 nitrite. My son reckons he followed my instructions and didn't need to add any ammonia, if that's the case tomorrow nitrites should be definite 2ppm and the day after 0 We'll see

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
Yeah fingers crossed you see those figures Fiona, you just need to get those nitrite eaters multiplying... Towards the end of my own cycle the nitrite was last to drop but boy did it accelerate at the end... Thanks to some mature media from a pal...

Said media is still in my external filter... I haven't disturbed it and I probably won't bother for a while. But once I have moved house and settled my tank in, I may use the mature media to aid the cycle in a quarantine tank... It did a pretty sterling job in assisting cycling my 180 litre tank in 18 days!!

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 10:29:10 PM »
I managed to squeeze 2 pieces of mature ceramic media and a bit of the old filter sponge into the new filter which is why the ammonia munchers multiplied so fast. However it would have been quicker if I'd remembered to turn the temp up  ::)

Once the shrimpery is set up and the shrimp are out of the quarantine tank, I'll start work on building the bacteria in that filter THEN I can restock my 200litre finally. I'm quite looking forward to that. I've got the tail ends of several shoals so I'm a bit undecided about what to do. I might start a new thread for that

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »
I might start a new thread for that

Please do this  8) 8)

#picsoritdidnthappen

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34:02 PM »
I might start a new thread for that

Please do this  8) 8)

#picsoritdidnthappen

Absolutely!   ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »
I am considering starting a quarantine tank after my house move, around a 25-40 litre with a bio sponge filter... Is it possible to add bio sponge filter media to my big external tank to start it cycling? Or would it trigger a mini-cycle in my big tank?

The easiest way is to remove some of the main tank's media when you want to set up the QT. You can take up to a third of the main filter without trouble. That's what I did when I set up the QT for the sick cherry barb.

When you say a bio sponge filter, what exactly do you mean? An internal filter with sponge media or an air pump powered sponge filter? An internal would be easier as that could take some of your external's media, while an air powered sponge couldn't.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
When you say a bio sponge filter, what exactly do you mean? An internal filter with sponge media or an air pump powered sponge filter? An internal would be easier as that could take some of your external's media, while an air powered sponge couldn't.

It was the air-powered sponge I meant Sue, thank you. So I would probably have to go through a proper fishless cycle then, unless I used an internal filter? Aside from the air-powered sponge filter not requiring an electrical source (since the air pump is providing the flow) what are the advantages of the air powered sponges?

I haven't decided yet but I may do away with the air pump and bubble strip in my 180l tank. I just prefer it without the bubbles (I think). Hence why I'm thinking of doing a quarantine tank with the air pump and a sponge filter.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Maturing new sponge filter. COMPLETE in 23 days."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 01:01:13 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 06:20:26 AM
by MaidinBelfast
4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2016, 11:11:12 AM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:47:16 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 06:35:52 AM
by Matt
30 Replies
Last post May 30, 2020, 09:42:26 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: