Author Topic: KH values rising  (Read 2745 times) 1 replies

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
KH values rising
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Can I bounce some water parameter off you and get your thoughts please?
I'm in soft slightly acidic water but I have noticed that the tank has always buffered itself and sits about double the natural levels of 2°Kh and 3°Gh. (tank at 4°Kh and 7°Gh) and it also settles just above neutral pH. I don't buffer the feed water and put this down to allegedly inert 3/4mm pea gravel substrate leaching into the slightly acid water.
Not a problem I thought, more stable and less likely to crash, but then I restarted injecting CO2 again to combat an Algae outbreak.
Naturally the pH dipped to 6.8/6.9 again but in tandem the KH took a big step upwards to 7.5 which pushed the CO2 uncomfortably high before I caught it.
Now I think the tank will settle out at the new values, but the water changes will be a bigger difference in Alkalinity and I have read that this can be more of a problem for fish than the Acidity swing.
So two questions, could it be something other than the substrate causing the KH changes?
Are the differences big enough to need an substrate change?
I attached my water records which also show the before and after CO2 and the natural water levels if it helps

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: KH values rising
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The only ways that GH and KH can rise are either by having a lot of evaporation so that things dissolved in the water become more concentrated, especially of the water just is topped up rather than doing water changes; or by minerals getting into the tank from a non-water source. And as you say, the usual suspects are the substrate and decor.

To check the substrate, if you have any left over (or remove some from the tank and wash it) put some in a tub of water and leave it for a few days. Set up a second tub with just water. After say a week, test both tubs for GH, KH and pH. If they are the same, it's not the substrate. If they are different, you've found the culprit. And do the same for any rock decor.

Do you add anything to the tank other than food and dechlorinator eg plant fertiliser? If you do, have you checked the ingredients?

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: