How Long Before Filter Wool Needs Changing?

Author Topic: How long before filter wool needs changing?  (Read 8831 times) 7 replies

Offline mizuti

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
How long before filter wool needs changing?
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone, I have a fluval u3 filter which came with my tank, it's been running for 2 months with fish. When I first started using it, so about 3 months ago (fishless cycle) I removed the carbon off the cartridges and replaced it with more filter wool (this filter has 2 compartments with a sponge and a carbon/filter wool cartridge and 1 compartment with ceramic media). As per advice on here I used the remaining part of the cartridge to secure the filter wool into the compartment against the sponge if that makes sense.
My question is how long until I replace this additional wool with fresh? I rinse the sponges and wool in old tank water about once a fortnight when they get a bit brown. My water is clear and parameters are normal, but I know you're not supposed to change it all at once so I don't want to wait for a problem to crop up before I need to change it, what do other people do?
The cartridges which I removed the carbon from are looking a bit thin too.
Thanks

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: How long before filter wool needs changing?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
The filter wool only 'needs' to be replaced when it clogs up, though many fishkeepers replace it a lot more regularly than that especially as it doesn't have a large surface area and therefore cannot hold much bacteria, meaning it is relatively safe to change.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
I find that filter wool does not wash well - it goes thin and holey. When I use it, I need to change it every couple of weeks. If it is changed this often it never gets chance to grow many bacteria, and it is not a particularly good home for the bacteria anyway as it doesn't grow biofilm properly.
If you buy it by the metre and cut it up to shape it doesn't work out very expensive even changing every 2 to 3 weeks.

Offline mizuti

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Yeah when I bought it I got a huge bag for about £3.  The wool on the cartridge is thin now, maybe I'll replace those with the non carbon versions. Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure how much bacteria I'd lose. I added more fish today so I won't change anything yet!

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:50:28 PM »
I have a U3.  The first thing I did was throw the carbon and the filter wool out as it's not needed really.  Filter wool is used as an extra layer to polish water (catching smaller detritus than the standard foams) and not for bacteria growing.  It doesn't last long and is more trouble than it's worth IMO.  I get large pieces of black bio filter foam off amazon for cheap and cut them down to fit filters.  Saves tons of money against buying the brand specific bits and bobs for each different filter I have.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
Not a bad shout, I'm hoping to do something similar with my filter as I've only got bioballs at present and I need something to clear the water rather than just clean it. The design of the internet cf2 means that everything that gets trapped just drops back into the aquarium when you remove the sponge though. Something they have avoided with the fluval u series.

Offline mizuti

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »
Does the black biofilter foam keep the water as clear as the wool? I might order some.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »
My filters don't use filter wool but they have a fine sponge as the last stage to 'polish' the water, while they use coarse sponges as the first stage to catch the debris. And of course both can be repeatedly washed and make good homes for bacteria.
So if you do go for sponges, look for fine ones rather than coarse ones.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How long before filter wool needs changing?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
by SteveS
2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 10:53:14 AM
by Narm1971
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
by Fishx4
4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 11:14:28 AM
by biffster
8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 11:47:18 AM
by Sanjo
18 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
by Diz1
12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2015, 09:06:33 AM
by evan47

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: