High Nitrites In Cycle

Author Topic: High nitrites in cycle  (Read 15345 times) 68 replies

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
High nitrites in cycle
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am attempting a fishless cycle on my new tank but seem to be stuck with high nitrites. I may be impatient.
Today's readings are
ammonia 0.00
Nitrite off the scale high
Nitrates 5 ppm ( roughly )

I started the cycle on Saturday 2nd and readings were after adding 3ml of ammonia
Ammonia 3.00
Nitrites 0.25
The cycle was started using ceramic and foam from my pond filter in my Fluval 206.

On Wednesday 6th readings were
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrites 5.00+
Nitrates 5, just thought I'd check. Water company site says nitrates <2.08
Added 3ml of ammonia

I've just checked my water and ammonia is again 0.00, nitrites are still off the scale and nitrates still 5.00

Is this normal or if not do I just have to be patient or is there a plan B.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Black Widow Tetra (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Diamond Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: High nitrites in cycle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
That's fine for a cycle using mature media (your ceramic and foam from the pond filter).
Your ammonia eaters seem to be there in large numbers hence the drop form 3 ppm to zero in 4 days. However you don't appear to have many nitrite eaters - I wonder if that's due to the temp as a pond would be running cooler than a tank, though I don't know how temp could affect them.

1 ppm ammonia is converted into 2.7 ppm nitrite, so the first 3ppm that you added is now around 8ppm nitrite which is off the top of the tester scale. And the second 3 pm ammonia means you now have around 16 ppm nitrite in there. This is at danger level as the nitrite eaters stop multiplying around 15 ppm nitrite.

Have you tested your tap water nitrate yourself? Nitrate testers are the least accurate of the ones we use so it is better to use them to compare levels. Try testing nitrate on your tap water and tank water at the same time so you can compare the colours side by side. If the tank colour is higher than the tap colour, you do have some nitrite eaters.
And if you are using liquid testers, are you shaking one of the bottles even more than the instructions say to?

Once you've done these nitrate tests you'll know for sure if your nitrate is going up and if it is you do have some nitrite eaters, you just need to grow more.
You have just completed stage 6 in the method stickied in this section. Because you are potentially at the upper safe limit for nitrite, don't add any more ammonia yet. Go from stage 7. Since your ammonia is dropping very quickly, you'll test in 2 days and get zero ammonia, then test again in 4 days to get the second zero ammonia. That's when to add the 1 ppm dose. Then repeat this until your nitrite falls below 1.0 ppm
Please don't be tempted to add more ammonia more often than this or your nitrite will get high enough to stall the cycle.

It shouldn't take very much longer  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum Manjr.

I've just matured a filter using some mature ceramic media to kickstart the process and I ended up with off the scale nitrites, however the whole process finished yesterday. Because I had some mature media it only took 23 days.

Good luck with your cycling  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
Hi Manjr and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Good luck with your tank cycling.  :)

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »
I did test my tap water and all readings except hardness were 0.00. I also tested the tank water immediately after setting up the tank, adding substrate and plants and filling with water containing Seachem Prime. Nitrites showed 0.00 and NitrAtes 15:00. I am using the API Master liquid test kit and temp is 30°C. I am sure I'm simply being impatient, I've had tanks on and off for around 30 years but the Nitrogen cycle is like trying to teach an old dog new tricks, I'm literally of the old school (got the bus pass). When I started I don't think Nitrogen was around never mind the cycle. My first tank stand I made myself from angle iron though I can't remember how big the tank was but it had a UG filter. Anyway, enough rambling I'll keep testing.

Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Black Widow Tetra (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Diamond Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:22:13 PM »
It shouldn't take you too long, it took me 23 days start to finish to cycle a sponge filter seeded with mature media, I imagine you'll be about the same. The nitrite eaters are the slow moes of the bacteria world I'm afraid

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
When I started I don't think Nitrogen was around never mind the cycle.
lol nice one. :rotfl:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Good luck with your cycle, as you're off to a headstart with mature media it shouldn't take too long.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
Have taken your advice Sue and done a comparison of the nitrates in the waters, the tank water contains, guesstimate, a couple of ppm more than the tap water about 5.00 against 7.00. Looks like I'll have to keep on waiting.
Edit: Surprised at the tap water, not seen that much nitrate before.!

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »
Edit: Surprised at the tap water, not seen that much nitrate before.!

Mine comes out the tap at 40ppm  :(  It's a right royal pain in the bum

edited to add I have between 4-5ppm phosphates coming out my tap too

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »

Mine comes out the tap at 40ppm  :(

Same here.  >:(

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
With the number of plants I have you 'd think the water in the 200l would be lower but it's not. The tanks not even 50% stocked atm either. 1 soft algae pellets divided between 7 cories and 6 ottos isnt excessive and I only put a small pinch of flaked in for the others. I also hang a slice of courgette in the tank now for the ottos and gobies to share. Twice a week they all share half a cube of bloodworms. Am I over feeding do you think?

I know the quarantine tank where the shrimp are currently residing is down to 20ppm nitrates.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
My tap water is 40ppm nitrates too.

::)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »
Fiona what you've described certainly doesn't sound like overfeeding to me.

The Nitrate in the QT are nice and low considering  the level in your tap water! Do you have different plants in there? Maybe the plants are gobbling up the Nitrate?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »
Same plants....I grow on cuttings from the main tank in there normally, a lot of the stemmed plants go bald at the base so every now and then I replace them. Although that said there is a spare potted amazon sword in there. Maybe that's sucking up the nitrates

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I would dearly love a pair of rams, the guys in MA said they'd be ok with hard water or high nitrates but not both. Mind you that said even if I could get the nitrates down, my male 'possibly rainbow' goby is so territorial there'd be a blood bath, so I'd need to wait for him to pass to the great fish tank in the sky first.

He even chases off the ottos sometimes, they do look a bit like stiphs at a quick glance..a brief one..from a distance....I guess he's just stoopid  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
Welcome, Manjr :wave:

Hopefully it won't take too long for the cycle to finish.

What fish do you have in your pond, what fish have you had in the past over your years of fishkeeping, and what fish are you planning in your aquarium this time round?

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
My pond is about 100 gallon and stepped, it has 8 ordinary run of the mill Goldie's 2 or 3 ins. It's got lillies and other plants in it. I've had it for about 5 years and the fish tend to breed most years although nature seems to keep the number fairly steady. There's a local heron and some cats.
As for the tank it's an Aquaoak 76 from MA, lovely tank and just the size for me now. My last tank was a Rio 180 which I had for about 10 years up until last year but had to get rid of it for health reasons, mine and the fish. It had angel fish, kribs, cherry barbs, neons, Otto's, panda Cory's and a big golden loach that terrified everything else.
My present plan is some of what's in my creator.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
Very good - I'm a goldie fan although mine were kept in a tank; I'm learning a little about pond fishkeeping as my parents' neighbour has a pond and I hear updates on it from them. Good luck with the new tank once it's cycled - great choice of fish you have planned for it.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:43 PM »
Some nice choices, personally I'd up the ottos and especially the cories a wee bit , they're happier in bigger groups.

I've found glowlight tetras to be lurkers, they prefer the shadier areas and with foreknowledge of that I wouldn't have picked them, if you want something interesting to look at you'll have a bit of a wait.

It all depend what you want from your tank though.

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 07:49:27 AM »
On further reading and using the creator I've decided to forget the Agassiz's and  replace the tetras with cherry barbs and up the Otto's and pandas to eight of each. I'll put the barbs in first as they seem a good choice for that honour. I've kept the cherry's and kribs before and the kribs usually bred though no fry ever matured and the barbs always seemed very hardy and busy. The problem is that all the fish always look great in the bare tanks of the LFS. I've also got a diy cave in the tank waiting for them.
I almost forgot Fiona, I have had frogs in the pond for the last few years and they always breed, there's a load of spawn in there now.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "High nitrites in cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 02:18:09 PM
by fishcake76
2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 03:52:09 PM
by louking13
14 Replies
Last post July 06, 2014, 11:50:02 AM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 09:29:11 PM
by Cheryl
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2014, 02:21:37 PM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post August 08, 2015, 10:35:09 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 12:23:11 PM
by AircooledDude

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: