High Nitrate

Author Topic: High Nitrate  (Read 4389 times) 6 replies

Offline GazFerg

• Tropical Fish Forum User
High Nitrate
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
Wondered if anybody can help with my high nitrate??
I’ve suffered with it for quite a while now and struggling to get it to an acceptable level. My tank has been running for a few years and I have 2 external filters, 205 and 305. My aquarium is 240 litres. I try to add more plants but they generally die after a few weeks as they get covered in a hairy algae which also covers my substrate (obviously a result of the high nitrate). I’ve gradually been adding a nitrate removing media (de-nitrate Seachem) but this so far hasn’t done anything.
I religiously perform a 40% water change every week and clean the substrate as much as I can. The water out of my tap is around 30-40 and by the next water change it’s up to around 80. I don’t really want to be doing more water changes or going down the RO water route.
I only have 12 tetras/barbs and a plec so understocked for aquarium size.
All other parameters are in check.

Any other questions please ask, and any help is much appreciated as I’m slowly losing patience😬
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: High Nitrate
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »
If your nitrate is going up so much during the week between water changes, something is making that nitrate. The usual causes are :
Too many fish - but this doesn't apply in your case
Feeding the fish too much as the left over food decomposes to ammonia which the bacteria turn into nitrate
Not enough or large enough water changes - you do yours weekly, and 40% is a fair amount, though the increase is substantial between water changes. It is usually recommended to do 50% or more nowadays.

If you deep clean the substrate, it isn't 'stuff' trapped in there. Which leaves the filters. How often do you clean them? The brown goo that collects on the media is left over food, fish poo, bits of dead plant etc and the goo is often referred to as a nitrate factory. The filters should be cleaned every couple of week - as you have two, clean one every week, alternating them.

Floating plants do take up a lot of ammonia that would otherwise be turned into nitrate, you could try those rather than plants that are rooted in the substrate. Anything from duckweed to water sprite, via Salvinia, water lettuce, and Amazon frogbit. Floating plants do not seem to suffer from algae, though if your water is soft you would need to add a trace mineral fertiliser.

This doesn't solve the problem of the tap water nitrate though. A lot of people with high nitrate use a Pozzani filter to prefilter the water for a water change.
Other members with high nitrate will have other suggestions to add.

Offline GazFerg

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:42:35 PM »
Thanks for your response.
I probably give each filter a clean once every couple of months or so as they don’t seem to get too messy, but I will do as you suggest clean them on alternate weeks for a while to see what difference it makes.
As for feeding, I only give a small amount once a day so I don’t think that is causing the issue. One part of the tank does get quite messy (where the plec hangs out) but as I said I do regularly water changes, I will up it to 50% though.
I will have a look at the floating plant suggestion.
Thanks.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
What substrate do you have? If gravel are you gravel vaccing to remove built up wastes?

Offline GazFerg

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »
Hi, I have a sand base with gravel on top. I do try to vacuum as much as I can, but will double my efforts next time!
Thanks

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
Hi there.  :wave:

My tap water has a nitrate level of 40ppm, so my sympathies are with you here. I use a tap water/RO mix on some of my tanks, but not all of them (way too many). I'm currently looking onto ways to reduce my nitrate levels, and have bought some of the Seachem media. I'm under the impression that this won't have any impact on your levels immediately because the nitrate is used by anaerobic bacteria, which could take a while to build up to useful levels.
Substrate in my tanks is sand over planting substrate, with live plants, and although my tap water has high nitrates, I don't get any increase between the weekly water changes.
I also have plecs, and adorable as they are, they are also very messy.

I have some suggestions, and it would be useful to see what the others think before you consider taking on any of them.

To deal with the current algae problem I would consider blacking out the tank for several days. Blocking out all light should cause the algae start dying off.
At the same time I would start to do daily siphoning of waste, and try to scrape as much algae off decor as possible. Maintain weekly water changes & alternating filter cleans.
I would also consider removing the gravel. Not only because waste sits on top of a sand substrate, so it's easier to see to clean, but I've previously struggled to keep gravel clean if there is anything else underneath. That may have been more about my abilities (or lack of), but I found it difficult to keep the gravel clean enough, without removing the sand underneath whilst siphoning.
Once the algae has been dealt with (hopefully within a week or two), then floating plants would be useful when the lights are back on.

Dealing with tap water nitrite levels is a more long term issue, but at least we should be able to get to a point where your levels are not going up between water changes fairly quickly.

Would you be able to post some pictures of your tank, and provide as much information as possible about it (lighting periods, location - does it get any direct light, etc), and we'll see if we can make any more suggestions to resolve you issue.

:)

Offline GazFerg

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
(Writing this a second time because it failed on the photo attachment and I lost all that I’d written)😕

Thanks for all your info, much appreciated.

I know what you mean about finding it difficult to keep gravel clean, I tend to run out of water before I’ve got the stuff clean! Wished I had chosen the sand option now which I very nearly did. Suppose I can still change, just a faff doing it.
I will follow your advise and blackout the aquarium to try and rid the present algae and I’ll add a few floaters once the lights are back on.
I use a strip LED light which is on for about 7hrs a day. The tank is partly in front of a window but I keep the blinds closed pretty much all the time. There is no facing window.
I will try and add a few pics on a separate reply so not to lose all this again😊.

Thanks
Gary

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "High Nitrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post July 06, 2014, 11:50:02 AM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
22 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 09:29:11 PM
by Cheryl
5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 09:52:09 PM
by Paddyc
9 Replies
Last post August 12, 2016, 05:29:30 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2019, 05:15:53 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: