Help With Water Hardness!

Author Topic: Help with water hardness!  (Read 5858 times) 14 replies

Offline Eeyore94

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Help with water hardness!
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:34:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Am in the process of setting up a new tank, nitrate/nitrite levels are good, so is ammonia, but ph and hardness are too high (I know I live in a hard water area).

Got a ph down and was told this would adjust the hardness too, but it hasn't, also I will have this problem every time I do a water change.

What can I add to the tank to soften the water and what do I do about the hardness when I do water changes?

I currently have no fish, but do have live plants.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (2) - Upside-Down Catfish (1) - Glass Catfish (1) - Denison's Barb (5) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Swordtail (female) (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help with water hardness!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
When you say too high what do you mean? It really depends on what fish you're planning to have!

Ph and hardness are quite complicated to change, so an easier option may be to keep fish that like your water conditions. 

If you're not happy with that option the best option would be using RO water

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Eeyore94

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
Ph was 8.5/9, but is now down to 7.5 after using ph down

Kh reads 240 and gh 180, but this is using test strips and that is the maximum reading, so could be higher.

I haven't decided on fish yet. I like unusual or different varieties, although I am very fond of different varieties of plectrum. My partner wants silver sharks and I've always wanted a black knife ghost fish, but know they can be difficult to keep.

This is a restart after having an empty tank for a couple of years due to broken lighting and have always struggled with water quality and the only fish that thrived before were my parrot fish.

I have done a bit more homework this time, hence discovering the hardness issue of which I was unaware previously.

What fish options with current hardness?

What's RO water?

Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (2) - Upside-Down Catfish (1) - Glass Catfish (1) - Denison's Barb (5) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Swordtail (female) (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish (4) -

Offline DaveyRockett

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 01:04:56 AM »
RO: Reverse Osmosis: a method of making pure H2O with NO impurities.  Needed for marine, where you then add the correct amount of salt to ensure the salinity is exactly what you want.  Could also be used for tropical, but expensive compared to tap water, and you'd find yourself adding salts of some kind or other to maintain the buffering capacity (hard water will retain pH very well: large "buffering" capacity).

I have v. hard water: it goes with a high pH (my tank's pH 8.5 or thereabouts).
One way to check is to get the water quality report for your area (affinity water let you search by postcode).
Likely to be more accurate than test strips (though if you have limestone gravel in your tank ...).

I'm setting up a new tank at present: this site has great information on pH tolerances (and sizes and tank loading), from which I'm selecting Dwarf Rainbows, X-Ray tetras to go with my current small shoal of harlequins that I've moved from my old tank.

According to thinkfish site, both knife fish and silver sharks would be ok with hard water/pH 8.5, but watch out ... they grow massive (30cm+): thinkfish are recommending a tank of at least 1.2m for the knifes, 1.6m for the silver sharks.  I'm steering clear of these as they'd get far too big for my 120l tank.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:48:57 AM »
I've got very hard water too and it's supplied by Affinity (to my shame I thought ph and hardness was the same at first ) I now use half di-ionised water and half tap water (tap water dechlorinated) it dropped my ph over time from 8.5 to 7 which is a vast improvement.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »
The problem with using pH down type products is that the pH can fluctuate, which is not good for fish.

Let me just run through a few definitions.

pH measures the amount of hydrogen ions in the water. As acids release hydrogen ions, it is a measure of acidity. And since it is an upside down measure the more acid, the lower the pH
GH is a measure of divalent metal ions. In reality our water supplies contain mostly calcium and magnesium as divalent metal ions; others are there only in trace amounts. It is usually expressed just as calcium.
KH is a measure of the buffering capacity of water. The main water chemical that does this is carbonate, which is why buffering capacity is referred to as carbonate hardness. Water companies call it alkalinity if you come across that term on their website.

Carbonate (KH) reacts with acids and neutralises them. If the KH is high, it has to react with a lot of acid before it is used up. The products that lower pH do so by adding acids and with a high KH the pH drops for a while, then the carbonate reacts and the pH bounces back up.

The other problem is a fourth measure, TDS ie total dissolved solids. If you add something to the tank eg pH down, there are more things dissolved so the TDS goes up, the opposite of what you want.

As the others have said, the only realistic way to lower pH and hardness is by diluting your tap water with pure water - either de-ionised or reverse osmosis. But you must find the ratio of the two that gives the result you want and use that exact ratio at every water change. Using 100% tap water if you run out of DI or RO will change the hardness and pH and harm the fish. Now is the time to experiment to find the ratio and replace all the current water with the mixed water, before you get fish.

The other alternative is to stick to fish that like hard alkaline water.

Offline Eeyore94

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
Thank you Sue.

That is a great help.

So if I wanted to go the adjusting route where/how do I get deionised water?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
Maidenhead Aquatics sell RO water but as mine dont deliver I buy di-ionised water from my local hardware store, they order it in for me and deliver it too. Its the water you'd use to top up a car battery basically. I followed Sue's instructions and gradually replaced 50% tap water with di-ionised water over a period of a couple of months

Offline Eeyore94

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
So my friend who's a mechanic should be able to get it easily.

Thank you all for your help

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Make sure its not been opened or contaminated by petrol or oil though if your mates going to supply it from a garage would be my only word of caution

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
Once you get the DI or RO water you'll also need a liquid reagent GH and pH tester. GH ones work differently from the others; instead of adding x drops, waiting a few mins and comparing the colour to a chart, you add drops one at a time till the colour changes, and the number of drops = GH in german degrees. Or with some brands 2 drops = 1 degree.
Then you'll need a bucket to experiment in. Once you know how much tap water and how much DI/RO gives you the results you want, you can change all the tank over to that ratio - but only as you don't have fish. If you get fish before changing over you'll have to add RO/DI a bit at a time to gradually change the tank water over.

Offline Eeyore94

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
Thank you, experimenting love it  :).

I will be careful of contamination, it will just be easier and cheaper through him, as trade discount.

Now to research fish and decide wether to have fun with experimenting or if there are species I am happy to have with the current hardness.

Any suggestions as a starting point?

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »
The most interesting way would be to go round a few local fish shops and see what they stock. Make a note of any fish you are interested in, including the latin name if it is given. Then come home and look in the fish profiles on here, and Seriously Fish - this site is easier to find the fish if you have the latin name. Look at the tank size the fish need, the pH range and the preferred hardness range. Seriously Fish sometimes gives the hardness as dH (german degrees), sometimes as ppm. The conversion is 1 german degree = 17.86ppm.

You may find that there are hard water fish that you like; in this case you don't need to use RO or DI, just tapwater. But if all the fish you like prefer soft water you will need to lower the hardness.

Offline Eeyore94

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 12:54:52 AM »
Thank you again for your help.

I have got a good idea of what to stock with now from the fish profiles on here. I actually found quite a lot that I liked that are hard water compatible, it also help that I have a 200 litre tank, so was less restricted on size. I just need to get a more accurate hardness reading to make sure they are all suitable.

Just need to find a decent LFS, as the ones local I've used before don't seem that great now after reading a few of the fish profiles. I know most stock parrot fish and the two I used regularly both sold me silver sharks, which I have now discovered are too big for my tank, yet I was sold several and told my tank had ample room.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
The first lesson in fish keeping is don't trust the shop. The pets stores with a fish department usually don't train their staff properly. Other, fish-only shops either don't train staff or don't care as long as they make a sale. There are some good shops, you'll know when you find one.
Research on-line before parting with your cash.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help with water hardness!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM
by Paddy60
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2018, 06:30:26 PM
by Lynne W
7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2017, 07:38:10 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2018, 09:44:14 AM
by Sue
26 Replies
Last post April 25, 2020, 10:01:19 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:17:35 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: