Help With Readings

Author Topic: Help with readings  (Read 6650 times) 21 replies

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Help with readings
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It was 6 weeks since I setup my fish tank with fish-in-cycle. I still read ammonia and nitrate around 0.5 to 1ppm each with 50% water changes 2-3 times a week.

Today I changed 75% water and my readings as below. Now, how far my cycling done in order to add more fish? Also I need advise on high nitrates, high KH and low CO2. They consistently record the same. Sounds like my tap water has got nitrates though it was not so high when I started my tank few weeks ago.

Nitrate 50 ppm
Nitrite 0.09 ppm
Ammonia <0.25 ppm (bottom tube more like 0 ppm but towards top it is <0.25 ppm
GH 13 dH
KH >20dH
PH 8.5
CO2 2ppm

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Honey Gourami (1) - Neon Tetra (6) - Guppy (male) (1) - Ornamental Snails (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help with readings
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
You need to have zero ammonia and zero nitrite for 7 days in a row, without doing water changes before getting more fish. This is more important at high pH like yours as a larger proportion of the ammonia is in the toxic form compared to pH below 7.

However.....

What are you using to test ammonia? Your results look like a strip tester except that the all-in-one strips can't have ammonia on them (the colour developing time is different from the rest). The reason I ask is because with liquid ammonia testers, the colour of the water depends on the type of light it is read under and also the way the testing person's eye perceives the colour - some people never see the zero colour. This doesn't apply to strip tests, only liquids.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
I am using liquid test for Ammonia and test strips for the others.

Is my water parameters are reasonable? Especially on Nitrates, KH and CO2?

Also, feeding once a day keep my ammonia levels down and cycle quicker? I am feeding twice a day.

Thank you

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Nitrate is a bit on the high side - it should really be kept below 20 ppm. However, there may be quite a lot of nitrate in your tap water so you need to test that as well. If your tap water nitrate is above 20 ppm there is little you can do to get it lower, though using lots of live plants could well help.The only other alternative for reducing the nitrate in the water you put into the tank is to prefilter it with nitrate removing media.

Your high GH and KH are consistent with your high pH. KH is not important except where it is very low when it can get used up and allow the pH to crash. With yours being high, you can forget about KH.
GH is very important to fish, and is often referred to as just 'hardness'. Your hardness is pretty hard, so you need to keep fish that like hard water.

Back to ammonia and nitrite - both of these must be zero or the fish will suffer harm. The 0 and 0.25 levels in liquid ammonia testers can be hard to distinguish, but anything over 0.25 is definitely not zero.
You said your pre-water change ammonia and nitrite were 0.5 to 1.0. With reading this high you need to do at least 75% water changes per day. In fact you should test every day and do a water change whenever the reading is above zero.
If you don't have any live plants, I recommend that you get some. These are your best friend while cycling. They will take up ammonia and unlike bacteria they do not convert it into nitrite, they use it to make proteins etc. Getting live plants should reduce both your ammonia and nitrite levels, and with enough plants they'll reduce them to zero.
Water sprite can be planted in the substrate or used as a floating plant, and when used floating is particularly good at removing ammonia. They also need good light and carbon dioxide both of which are plentiful on the water surface.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »
Forgot about CO2 in your readings.
I have no idea what the range for this is as I've never used anything that tested it!

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
Thanks Sue, very helpful and detail.

I tested my tap water for nitrates in the past which read below 10 ppm but seeing 50 ppm today after 75% water change - I need to test this again.

I am looking for hard to very hard fish so this should suit my water parameters.

I have two Jave Fern in the tank at the moment. The leaves are slowly growing roots.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
If your tap water nitrate is that low you need to do a few very large water changes to get the tank reading down to the same level as your tap water. Nitrate levels over 20 ppm cause long term damage.

Can I ask, you have small readings for both ammonia and nitrite and your nitrate level is at 40 ppm higher than your tap water. What size is the tank and how many fish do you have, numbers of each species?
We normally aim to stop nitrate going higher than tap water level plus 20, so in your case water changes should be often enough and big enough to stop nitrate ever getting above 30 ppm. I ask because with 50% water changes twice a week, nitrate should not be that high unless you are very overstocked.

Java ferns are slow growing plants that won't take up much ammonia. To have a real impact you need fast growing and/or floating plants.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
I have 4 male guppies at the moment, feeding twice a day. My tank size is 54l, 60x30x30cm.

Before 75% water change today my nitrate readings almost same as now. I mix hot/ cold tap water to bring down to reasonable temperature.

I will add a few water sprite plants. Are there any plants that absorb nitrates? My substrate is gravel and is not plant friendly so I am looking for easy care with minimum light.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
4 guppies in 54 litres should not cause nitrate to go up that much. And you shouldn't have ammonia or nitrite with this few fish after 6 weeks.

Plants will use nitrate as fertiliser. They prefer ammonia because they have to convert nitrate into ammonia inside the plant to process it so it takes less energy for them to use ammonia. But once they've taken up all the ammonia they'll start taking up nitrate.
If you can tolerate it, even duckweed would help  ;D

Can I check some things with you please.
When you do a water change, do you run the water straight in via a hose or do you use a bucket to refill it?
Which brand of dechlorinator do you use?
At what stage do you add dechlorinator to the new water? With a hose, most people add the whole dose of dechlorinator to the tank before starting to refill; with a bucket you should add enough dechlorinator to treat the volume of the bucket to each bucketful of new water.
Do you routinely add any other chemicals to the tank besides dechlorinator?

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
Sounds like my tap water has high Nitrates this time. Direct tap water reading is 35 ppm, Nitrites is 0.15. Surprisingly Chlorine is 0.1 ppm.

I use bucket method and treat with Tetra Aqua Safe into the bucket to the volume required for that water quantity.

I did not use any other chemicals so far.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
I should say this, when I add my fish 6 weeks ago my lfs tested the water and is clean with all readings.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »
If you took some water in as you bought the fish, the water would have been perfect because there were no fish to make it un-perfect yet.

One thing you could try is a bottle of Seachem Prime and use that as your dechlorinator. It detoxifies both ammonia and nitrite, though they do still show up in the tests in the detoxfied form. The detoxification lasts somewhere between 24 and 48 hours so you still need to do the water changes but at least the fish will be safe between water changes. Use the dose rate on the bottle, don't be tempted to overdose.

If you have nitrate in your tap water, the simplest thing is to just live with it. As long as you get ammonia and nitrite to zero.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
I will change my dechlorinator as per your suggestion and also add water sprite to the tank. Thank you

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
How did you get the reading of 2ppm CO2 out of interest?

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 06:45:07 AM »
I use Tetra easy strips 6 in 1 and read using its mobile app. This gives me CO2 reading though it is not indicated on the package.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
I used to have a Juwel tank, and extensive reading said that this sponge did nothing for nitrate, and the advice was to treat it like a plain sponge.

The only way to remove nitrate from the water apart from plants is to use a nitrate filter to pre-treat the water, like this one https://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-filters-185/product_info.html

Or use reverse osmosis water and add remineralisation salts (not table salt). The RO process takes everything out of the water leaving just pure water; but all the fish in the aquarium trade need some minerals so they have to be added to RO water in the form of remineralisation salts. Depending on the fish, the water has to be made soft or hard, and the same amount of salts per litre water must be used at every water change. The RO water and the salts do work out expensive over time.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
Thanks Sue, I live with adding more plants in for now and see drop in readings before considering Pozzani filter.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
You can use a mixture of RO and tap water to bring down the Nitrate levels. My tap water Nitrate level is around 40 ppm. I use a 50/50 tap/RO mixture which effectively halves the nitrate level to a more reasonable 20 ppm.
I use around 70 litres per week which costs about a tenner. So it is an expensive option if you have a large volume to change.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
I am using liquid test for Ammonia and test strips for the others.

Hi uv,

Would you please confirm which liquid test kit you are using for ammonia? Also, are the Tetra test strips in date? I have never used the test strip/mobile phone approach; there are a few variables that could lead to erroneous readings. Very nervous about the 2ppm CO2 measurement but this is probably the least important reading right now.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help with readings"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
75 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
by jesnon
4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 07:54:34 PM
by Sue
75 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 11:28:52 AM
by pollydoodle
8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
by jaypeecee
16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2021, 04:40:19 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: