Help With Fish Tank Cycle Please

Author Topic: Help with fish tank cycle please  (Read 20524 times) 107 replies

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
Help with fish tank cycle please
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
started cycling my 120ltr tank five weeks ago ,dosed filter sponges with dirty water from my small tank(cycled).
Started getting good readings ammonia nitrate nitrates,then after two weeks after redosing to 3ppm ammonia it would not drop, i had added all the artificial plants and ornaments ,and i think i used some aquacare bio boost .
Something seemed to have stooped the cycle. I did an 80% water change and dosed to 3ppm ammonia ,starting cycle over again.Am now 21 days in and ammonia has not moved from 3ppm.I am now a bit concerened because of the stop in cycle after two weeks ,and now three weeks in after starting again,and no change . So does this look ok,on track, or any steps  i need  to take please ?
appolagies if i have posted about cycling this tank before

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: help with cycle please
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »
It took 28 days for my ammonia to drop. If it wasn't for the fact that I already had three tanks running I would have got very frustrated (it was a sponge filter to replace the internal in my betta's tank and I cycled it in the quarantine tank).

Is it possible to take a bit of actual media from your small tank and put that inside the bigger tank's filter? It is safe to take up a third of the media from an established filter, though it is wise to keep an eye on the ammonia & nitrite in that tank for a few days.
The water from the small tank would have had virtually no filter bacteria in it because they are attached to surfaces not free floating. But the bacteria are attached to filter media, which is why using media works better.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »
ok thanks sue, so yours didnt drop at all for 28 days ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
This is the data I recorded for the fishless cycle I did in Jan 2016

Because this tank is 26 litres and has just one male betta and one small nerite snail, I initially added ammonia to just 1 to 2 ppm as this is more than enough for that bioload. The colour was between 1 and 2.

Day 1 - added ammonia Stage #1
Day 4 - no change
Day 7 - no change
Day 10 - no change
Day 13 - no change
Day 16 - ammonia still same but just a hint of nitrite though still well below 0.25
Day 19 - same as day 16
Day 21 - ammonia still showing between 1 and 2 and nitrite the merest hint. Got frustrated and did a 100% water change then added ammonia to give a reading between 2 and 4 ppm.
Day 24 - ammonia between 1 and 2, nitrite 0. The ammonia dropped from 2 - 4 to 1 -2 but no idea where it went.
Day 26 - tested after 2 days because getting fed up. Ammonia 1 to 2. Nitrite merest hint.
Day 28 - ammonia 0.5 nitrite > 5 (off the top of the chart). Added ammonia to ~ 3ppm Stage #6
Day 30 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5
Day 32 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5. Zero ammonia on 2 test 2 days apart, added the one third dose of ammonia. Stage #8
Day 34 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5
Day 36 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5. Zero ammonia in 2 tests 2 day apart, added the one third dose of ammonia Stage #8 again
Day 38 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5
Day 40 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5. Zero ammonia on 2 tests 2 days apart, added a one third dose of ammonia. Stage #8 again
Day 42 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Added a 2 to 4 ppm dose ammonia Stage #10
Day 43 - ammonia 0.25, nitrite 1.0
Day 44 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Added 2 to 4 ppm ammonia. Stage #10 again Then power went off for 4 hours.
Day 45 - ammonia 0, nitrite 2 - was the cycle affected by the power cut?
Day 46 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Added ammonia to 2 to 4 ppm Stage #10 again
Day 47 - ammonia 0, nitrite between 0.5 and 1. Added ammonia to between 2 and 4 ppm Stage #10 yet again
Day 48 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Finally stage #14

Ammonia and nitrite both zero 24 hours after adding full dose ammonia = cycle finished.

As you can see, ammonia finally dropped on day 28. And nitrite dropped from off the top of the chart to zero between days 40 and 42.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
great alot of help ,gives me some idea now,thanks sue  :)

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
38 days into cycle no change, ammonia still 3ppm ,nitrite 0 ,nitrates same as tap water 10ppm ,chlorines 0
Still concerned , are some of the artificial plants and ornaments affecting the cycle ?
Have added another dose of water conditioner for 120ltrs to the tank.
I am going to add a bag of bio max from my 23ltr cycled tank to try and kick start , have three bags of bio rings and af isponge in small tank ,so one bag less ,is less than 1/3 of bio filter as advised by @Sue .
Still concerened about plants etc .Has any one else had any problems with artificial decor and cycling ?

ps Happy christmas all

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
The plants etc won't cause a problem, the cycled media should make a massive difference though
  :cheers:

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
ok thanks Matt.  :cheers:

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
any body know anthing about acuacare bio boost? does it do the same as tetra safe start?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
As far as I'm aware, there are only two 'bottled bacteria' products that contain the correct species of nitrite eating bacteria - Dr Tim's One & Only (very hard to get outside the USA) and Tetra Safe Start.
At first it was thought that the nitrite eaters were the same species found in waste treatment works (Nitrobacter), then Dr Tim Hovanec, working for an American company which has since been taken over by Tetra, discovered the correct species which grows in aquaria (Nitrospira). The use of this species was copyrighted or whatever the correct term is so that only he and Tetra can make a bottled bacteria containing this species.

Most other products do contain the right ammonia eaters, just the wrong nitrite eaters.

It could still be worth trying a different brand of bottled bacteria, it should help kick start the ammonia eaters.
The correct species of nitrite eaters function at the low concentrations found in tank, but the wrong ones need higher concentrations of nitrite. These bacteria will help during cycling where the amount of nitrite is high compared to in a cycled tank, but will die off as the level drops, something to bear in mind when interpreting test results.

If anyone knows of any other product which contains Nitrospira rather than Nitrobacter, please let us know.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »
realy getting stressed out now,read evrything i can and still no results .cycled my 23ltr tank lately and all is going fine but cannot get my 120ltr to cycle. so hears the update ,seeded 120tank with dirty water from 23ltr tank got good reedings and all looking good , added all the decor , redosed to 3ppm ammonia then it would not drop.Did 80%water change and re dosed to 3ppm.I am now at 44days since that water change no drop in ammonia,added a bag of biomax from small tank to this filter three days ago,also started adding pinch of crumbled fish flakes every day, turned of air pump incase flow to great ,added tetra safe start 24hrs ago ,STILL NO DROP still concerns me why i had readings and a liitle while after adding decor stuck at 3ppm ammonia.
So still no drop urgent advise what to do needed as it seems nothing working please please please

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Hi @Paddy60

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your 120L tank.
I would have thought that the bag of biomax from the small tank would have helped. Have you put them in to your filter - that will help the bacteria on the biomax grow into your filter media.
Have you had any problems with your pH? Just a wild shot but thought I'd ask because a drop in pH can cause a cycle to crash.

I'm no @Sue  when it comes to cycling tanks, and my experience has generally been with having a lot of mature media available from several tanks to be able to move into a new tank, so any cycling I deal with tends to have had a very big kick start. It has been over a year since I've had to cycle a tank "properly" rather than just moving mature media around. I've not used products like Bio Boost or Safe Start, so can't comment on them.

If it is any help then I am more than happy to send you a larger amount of mature media to help you with your tank. It may have to wait until the new year as I can't imagine what the postal service would be like until then, but it might be worth a go.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »
hi @Littlefish thanks for your replie i will see if @Sue  has any ideas why this is not happening then i will take you up on your offer of sending me some media.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »
The biomax should have done something.

Is there any possibility something is in the tank that shouldn't be? You've used dechlorinator - which one? - so there shouldn't be any chlorine in there.
Did you use anything to clean the tank before starting the cycle? Any trace of a cleaner could do harm.
Are the two tanks in the same room? If the 23 litre is OK and they are in the same room, there shouldn't be any air born pollutant getting in the 120. If they are in different room, check for aerosols or air fresheners of any type.
And just to be sure, you do have pure ammonia not ammonia with detergent added?

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »
both tanks in same room,using same dechloranator which is fluval aquaplus,have tested for chlorine with strips which is reading 0, did not clean tank with any products .just seemed to stop after adding decor .have another bottle of safe start from different source dont no weather to add it. does it work with ammonia at 3ppm

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »
am using kleenoff ammonia

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »
You have eliminated contamination from everything but the decor - and you say the problems started after adding decor.

So now I'll ask, what decor did you add and where did you get it from, a fish shop or somewhere else?

Tetra Safe Start doesn't work if it has been stored incorrectly at some point between the factory and your tank. If you want to try another bottle, get it from a different shop - and not just a different branch of the same shop as they'll have the same wholesaler.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 07:18:31 PM »
ok have 4 ornaments and quite a few plants all but two ornaments where bought at maidenhead aquatics.The two ornament where bought on line one is a bridge ,and from china it looks like its made of resin but the bridge ropes are made of some other plastic. I have removed both now, will try this ,if this does not work i will strip all decor out and try that

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
@Paddy60 As Littlefish mentioned, what is your pH please.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
Now you've removed the 2 bits of suspect decor I would do a large water change and re add ammonia to reach 3ppm. This will mean that whatever is in the tank from the decor you removed is also removed if this is the issue.  Either way it reduces the possibility of this being a factor going forwards  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help with fish tank cycle please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2012, 11:22:34 AM
by Mervyn
3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 04:46:34 PM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 10:16:44 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 10:10:07 AM
by aespp
5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2016, 02:52:10 PM
by fcmf
27 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
by ChrisP1969

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: