Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fishless cycling problem
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

Am new to site but having an issue in my fishless cycle. Got artificial plants and some ornaments in tank with a sand substrate. Started on 7th Jan, used Prime to dechlorinate the water and then on 8th added 3ppm of ammonia. My PH is 7.0. On the 21st ammonia was below 0.75ppm but no nitrites. After speaking to some people they suggested topping up ammonia to 3ppm and put some Tetra Start Up in just to try and give it a kick but as of today ammonia is about 1.10ppm , still no nitrites and nitrates have stayed at 2.5ppm all the way along. My water is soft and Gh is 4.2 or 75ppm and KH is 60ppm according to water board. I understand this is quite low.
Could this be holding up the nitrites appearing? Would some bicarb of soda help? Or anything else I could do?
Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Fishless cycling problem
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »
Hi Dave,

I'm Sue from the other forum  ;D

I completely forgot to mention using a plant fertiliser as someone on the other forum has suggested. Your water is so soft that it's short of everything, and plant fertiliser contains lots of trace minerals. I use Seachem Flourish, the one without anything else added to the name.

I think maybe see if the advice you've been given 'over there' by the poster called Steven would help, he really knows his stuff.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:08:52 PM »
Thanks Sue

Will try the Seachem flourish and hold off the bicarb for now.

David

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Just had a quick thought, is there anyway I could of squashed the sponges in the filter which would cause the bacteria not to grow?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
The only way that would cause a problem is if you squashed them in such a way the water can't flow through them. Is the water is coming out of the filter outlet nice and strong?

Very very silly question. Did any of the media (sponges, cirax etc) come wrapped in plastic - and if they did, did you remove the plastic wrapper? It has been known......

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
Water seems ok out the outlet, causing rippling on water surface.

99.9% sure plastic is off. The top layer piece split into 3, so I just used one of them, hopefully that was ok.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
The white pads do come in packs of three.

The white pads do clog quickly when you have things in there to clog them. They don't wash very well - they fall into holes very easily - and they are not a very good media for bacteria to grow on. There main purpose is to catch bits so they don't get into the other media.
Because they have to be changed often they can work out expensive. Buy a roll of filter wool instead - or a metre cut off a roll - and use the juwel white pads as a template to cut the sheet up. Much cheaper.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »
Here is a post of my tests and sponges, Two blue sponges are on bottom and blue and green one on top. I have put carbon one in but not sure I need it. Is that right? And top right one seems a little dirty.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
That looks right. The fine blue sponges go in the bottom with the coarse blue sponges higher up. Do you have cirax as well?

The top white one will get dirty. It is first in the direction of water flow and Juwel put it there to catch any bits before they can get to the sponges.
Although you don't have fish (their poo and any uneaten food will end up stuck to the white pad) or live plants that could lose bits the white pad is picking up something. The grey looks a bit like the dust that sand contains when you first buy it and no matter how much you wash it, there always seems to be some left.

You could try washing it very gently in a tub of tank water, but be very gentle as filter wool (aka filter floss) goes into holes very easily.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Hi

No I don't have cirax, it's an option you can purchase separately. Is this something I should have? Also do I need the black carbon filter.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
Now here's a though. The green sponge is called Nitrax and is a nitrate remover. Could this be why my nitrates haven't changed. According to Juwel they have various optional media. Links below:

https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/Filtering/Filter-media/Cirax/
https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/Filtering/Filter-media/Amorax/

Could one or both of them help?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
You don't need cirax, sponges are a very good home for bacetria.

The general consensus is that the nitrate sponge doesn't work, and even Juwel says it doesn't work immediately. From their website with my italics
The nitrate removal sponge contains bacteria, which will after a while reduce the nitrate level

They say that the green sponge contains anaerobic bacteria that break down nitrate - but anaerobic means in the absence of oxygen, and the filter has lots of oxygenated water flowing through it so anaerobic bacteria won't grow there.

The general opinion is that it doesn't remove nitrate so treat it like a blue sponge and leave it there till it starts to fall apart.
But if you wish to, there's no reason you can't remove it, let it dry and put it in the cupboard until the tank has cycled. There is plenty more media to grow enough bacteria to support a tankful of fish.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
How about the Amorax, have you ever heard anything about it?

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
I'd not come across that till I saw it on Juwel's website looking for that quote. They say it is zeolite. I would never use this in an aquarium of mine.

It removes ammonia, so there is none left to get the bacteria to grow. If you use it you are tied in to changing it before it becomes full for ever. If you don't change it in time, it becomes saturated, stops absorbing ammonia and, because you haven't been able to grow any bacteria, the ammonia level in the tank rockets and harms the fish.

It works out expensive changing it on a regular basis for ever. It is much cheaper to grow some bacteria.

Zeolite also absorbs medication, so you have to remove it if the fish get sick - and then ammonia will rocket as a result.

Zeolite does have a place. If something happens to the filter bacteria when the fish keeper is not there to sort it out, zeolite can be used to save the fish. We once had a member who was away on a business trip. His wife phoned him to say she was testing the water as instructed and found the ammonia reading was high for some reason. because he wasn't there to investigate, we suggested his wife get some zeolite to protect the fish till his return.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
Well with no movement on ammonia or nitrites or nitrates, have done a large water change today. One thing I noticed is the 125 litres my tank quotes seems nearer 105 litres, is that common?

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »
It is common. Juwel do tend to give the volume as being the amount of water it will hold when empty. But we put in substrate and decor which displaces a lot of water so the volume of water we end up with is somewhat less than the empty volume.
Other makes give the volume as the amount of space occupied by the whole tank, including the thickness of the glass, the space under the bottom pane with floating bases, and the air space on top of the water.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »
but what figure do I use when calculating ammonia, 105 or 125 litres?

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Use the amount of water the tank holds, 105 litres.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »
Well that's me all rest, decided to start with 1ppm ammonia as Tetra Safe Start might have problem with higher ammonia levels supposedly. Hopefully some bacteria is still there to help out as well.

Finally got a GH/KH tester today. GH was 107ppm and KH 53ppm, how often should I check these with those figures?

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Those figures convert to

GH 107 ppm = 6 German deg
KH 53 ppm = 3 German deg

GH shouldn't vary much. It will only change significantly if you use a substrate or decor that is made of calcium carbonate (eg coral sand, limestone rocks) as these will dissolve and increase GH; or if the tank water evaporates a lot and you top it up with tap water - in this case, the water evaporates but leaves the minerals that comprise GH behind and when you top up you add more minerals so GH gradually increases.

KH can vary. The natural tendency of fish tanks is to become acidic. Nitrate made by the filter bacteria (once the tank is cycled!) and other things excreted by fish are acidic. Carbonate reacts with acids and they get used up. If there's not much there to start with - like yours (and mine) - KH can fall to zero meaning a pH crash is likely. This isn't a problem once the tank is cycled as large regular water changes will keep the KH topped up, but during cycling we don't do water changes, and we make a lot of nitrate so KH can get used up.

It is important to keep an eye on your KH during cycling, and I would also keep an eye on it for a while after you have a tankful of fish. And keep an eye on pH.

Back about 10 years ago I was lazy about doing water changes. Sometimes I went 3 or 4 weeks between changes. And I was overstocked as I now realise. Then I discovered that my pH had dropped by a lot so I came on-line looking for a solution, and found Thinkfish. The site had an advisor back then, and he told me it was because of my low KH - at that time my water company used a table which gave both GH and KH. He recommended that I use remineralisation salts of the kind that people who use RO water need, but I found that by changing at least 30% of the water every week without fail stopped the pH dropping.
I did buy GH and KH testers and kept an eye on those for a good while, but once I knew that my water change regime kept the KH high enough, I never bought any more testers once they ran out.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless cycling problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: