Fishless Cycling Problem

Author Topic: Fishless cycling problem  (Read 47323 times) 425 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fishless cycling problem
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
If some ammonia has gone, it must have gone somewhere. In fish tanks there are two possibilities.

When a tank has live plants, they use ammonia as fertiliser so as they take it up the reading drops.

When a tank has no plants, there must be another reason. Something is eating the ammonia, usually the ammonia eating bacteria. They turn the ammonia into nitrite.
1 ppm ammonia -> 2.7 ppm nitrite so if you've lost 0.5 ppm ammonia that would have made 1.35 ppm nitrite. But your nitrite is zero.
Just supposing you had enough nitrite eaters to turn that 1.35 ppm nitrite into nitrate. 1 ppm ammonia -> 2.7 ppm nitrite -> 3.6 ppm nitrate. So your missing 0.5 ppm ammonia would have been turned into 1.8 ppm nitrate.
This is a bit trickier because our nitrate testers aren't good enough to pick up a rise of just 1.8 ppm.

Are you using API liquid testers, and does your nitrite tester goes a nice sky blue after the 5 minutes with not even a hint of purple?

I think the way to go is to add 3 ppm ammonia and see what happens. If that drops to zero, it should make 8.1 ppm nitrite, which is off the top of the scale. That nitrite would be turned into 10.8 ppm nitrate, and a rise of nitrate that size should show up when testing. Just make sure to shake the one nitrate reagent bottle and test tube as per the instruction or you'll get a false reading.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »
If some ammonia has gone, it must have gone somewhere. In fish tanks there are two possibilities.

When a tank has live plants, they use ammonia as fertiliser so as they take it up the reading drops.

When a tank has no plants, there must be another reason. Something is eating the ammonia, usually the ammonia eating bacteria. They turn the ammonia into nitrite.
1 ppm ammonia -> 2.7 ppm nitrite so if you've lost 0.5 ppm ammonia that would have made 1.35 ppm nitrite. But your nitrite is zero.
Just supposing you had enough nitrite eaters to turn that 1.35 ppm nitrite into nitrate. 1 ppm ammonia -> 2.7 ppm nitrite -> 3.6 ppm nitrate. So your missing 0.5 ppm ammonia would have been turned into 1.8 ppm nitrate.
This is a bit trickier because our nitrate testers aren't good enough to pick up a rise of just 1.8 ppm.

Are you using API liquid testers, and does your nitrite tester goes a nice sky blue after the 5 minutes with not even a hint of purple?

I think the way to go is to add 3 ppm ammonia and see what happens. If that drops to zero, it should make 8.1 ppm nitrite, which is off the top of the scale. That nitrite would be turned into 10.8 ppm nitrate, and a rise of nitrate that size should show up when testing. Just make sure to shake the one nitrate reagent bottle and test tube as per the instruction or you'll get a false reading.

I must say the Nitrate seemed slightly darker today, so might be nearer 5ppm than the 2.5ppm I quoted. And yes, bottle and tube shaken as recommended. Using API testers, Nitrite is blue, no hint of purple at all. Should I try shaking the Nitrite bottle just in case?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
Just checked Nitrite and definitely light blue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
I usually shake all the bottles a bit, but shake nitrate #2 very hard and long.

Since it is known that Tetra Safe Start contains the right species of nitrite eaters, there is the possibility that you might not see any nitrite. The proof is going to be if your nitrate increases as ammonia drops. But to see any increase in nitrate you'll need to add more than 1 ppm ammonia as that won't make enough nitrate to be certain of an increase.
I'd go with adding a 3ppm dose of ammonia next, then when that drops another 3 ppm unless nitrite does start to rise. If the ammonia is going straight to nitrate, that should make enough to show up on the nitrate test.

But if you do start to see nitrite, go with instructions as too much nitrite will stall the cycle.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
I was thinking of increasing ammonia maybe 2ppm and then 3ppm. I have read on another forum that someone has low alkalinity (40ppm) which is KH I guess and their cycle has stalled. Wondering if keeping KH over 100ppm is a good thing to do. Once I have fish, can I keep using bicarb or is there something else that would help.

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
Alkalinity is what water companies call KH. At over 100 ppm yours should be OK, you can always add a bit more bicarb if it does start to fall.

The chemical name of bicarb is sodium hydrogen carbonate, and the sodium bit is the problem when there are fish in the tank. Natural water sources don't have much sodium in them so fish have not evolved to cope with it, certainly not fish from soft water areas. We need another way to stop KH falling.

I have KH 3 german deg/54 ppm and I keep things stable by weekly water changes of at least 30% to top up the KH. I find this works fine for me.
Alternatives would be to use crushed aragonite in a bag in the filter - this contains both calcium and magnesium rather than crushed coral or limestone which only contain calcium. But if your pH is 7.0 or over, not much will dissolve. And it is possible to use too much.
Another option would be to use remineralisation salts designed for use with RO water. You wouldn't need much, just enough to boost your KH slightly. The downside to this is that you would have to add exactly the same amount per litre of new water at every water change as swinging GH would not be good for the fish. Doing emergency water changes if you were near the end of the pack of remin salts would be impossible;you'd have to keep an unopened pack in the cupboard at all times. And it would work out expensive long term.

I'd stick with water changes once you have fish and see if that is enough. You can always try one of the other options if water changes alone aren't enough.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
Thanks Sue

Will post figures daily, as might help someone in the future. More I read on other forum I think KH is very important, seems to be a main reason that cycles stall so will watch mine every few days. If I hit another stumbling block, will have to look at plan C, D and E.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
Test done today. Ammonia seems around .25 to .50ppm, nitrites are o ( but could be down to using Tetra start Safe) and Nitrate seems to be about 5ppm, which is slightly up. Picture attached.

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
How much ammonia did you add in total?

I would wait until ammonia drops to zero then add enough to give 3 ppm. When that falls, see what your nitrate reading is.

One question - when you compare the colour of the water to the chart, what kind of light is it? Daylight or electric light - and if it's electric light, what kind of light bulb? Fluorescent lights, both tubes and compact fluorescent energy saving bulbs, are known to distort the shade of the ammonia test. Daylight is best, or halogen bulbs or LED bulbs, and even old fashioned bulbs if you still have any.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
Hi Sue, just 1ppm to start. Light wise is either daylight or halogen. The Ammonia green is always hard to read as there seems to be subtle changes in the colour and always hard to discern.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
Added ammonia to 2ppm, checked using test kit but what picture is correct one to use for reading?

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »
To compare the test tube to the chart, place the tube against a white area on the chart and hold it up so you are looking straight through the side of the tube. Have the light source behind you shining over your shoulder.

You are looking for the shade of green (in the case of the ammonia tester) rather than the intensity of the colour. A chemistry lecturer at university once told us that the human eye is a pretty good judge of wavelength (ie the shade of the colour) but a poor judge of the colour's intensity.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 11:08:32 PM »
Interestingly today I stood with back door open with my back to it and colour seemed lighter for my ammonia. So will use this method for now.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 05:24:59 AM »
@barneyadi I did notice one thing with the test samples you have shown. The water miniscus in some is still below the mark even after you added the drops so the result will be too 'consentrate' in some by perhaps 10%. I don't know if this will equate to a 10% reading error as I don't understand the chemistry behind the tests but it certainly won't help the accuracy.
I also know that the tubes themselves are not particularly accurate and trying to pour water out of a test tube and hit the mark isn't particularly easy either, and the line is quite thick..... I gave up with this method and use a 5ml syringe to squirt water in it's much easier, accurate and more consistent. Have a word with your local Nurse Gladice Emmanuel and see if she will let you have one.
Another trick I have suggested before is to get an image of the test strip on a tablet or phone and use the clean white background of the image to light the sample from behind You will also note that the reading card colours vary themselves so can images you can find on the Internet that were based on pictures so be sure to pick a good one.

Anybody,
I have seen this same type of question a couple of times, do you think a sticky post with images explaining would be useful? Don't worry I will keep the photometers method out of it :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
I have seen this same type of question a couple of times, do you think a sticky post with images explaining would be useful? Don't worry I will keep the photometers method out of it :)

If you are volunteering Andy.......

Is Fish Tanks and Equipment the best place for it?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
Well with nothing happening was going to start a fish in cycle, but have decided to give it one last chance. Have redirected the airflow to maybe get more oxygen in tank, plastic plants are swaying so there is a difference. Been out today and purchased some different ammonia from Homebase, 9.5% to see if that will help. So will let you know what happens.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Good luck.  :)

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Does anyone think a lack of oxygen might have stalled my cycle?. Have turned filter tube straight up towards surface now and surface is bubbling and rippling. Could an airstone or bubble bar help as well?

Offline Sue

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »
As long as water is moving around the tank there should be enough oxygen.

Pinched from the same chap who wrote the fishless cycling method, the bacteria need
Oxygen
Inorganic carbon - carbonates, measured as KH.
pH over 6.5 with 8 being the best
Temperature between 24 and 29 deg C

If the water surface is rippling that should get enough oxygen into the tank
Carbonates - if you've added bicarb to your soft water there should be plenty of that
pH - if you've added bicarb that should also increase your pH
Temp - if you've set the heater to get 28 to 29 deg, that should be fine. You do need a thermometer to confirm the temp, don't go by the heater setting as most are not that accurately calibrated.

I've also read somewhere that the bacteria need iron, which is why using plant fertiliser in soft water helps - provided iron is listed in the ingredients.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
 not looking good, 24 hours after adding ammonia and no drop at all. Will give some more time and see what happens, but looking likely I will have to try a fish in cycle.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless cycling problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: