Author Topic: Fishless cycling problem  (Read 47952 times) 425 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Fishless cycling problem
« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The fish don't seem to be nibbling it, which is worrying me. Will leave and see how things go.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #381 on: April 11, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »
Be patient, the fish will find a way to obtain the food when they are hungry.
You'll probably find no trace of the feeding stick by tomorrow morning, and just have a tank of slightly rotund but contented fish doing the equivalent of laying on the sofa with their trousers unbuttoned.  ;D

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #382 on: April 12, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
Still no change on the block. Been testing my autofeeder and if I use flake I can get a nice amount of food so going to test that.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #383 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
If your just away for a few days that sounds like the best option to me, though flake in autofeeders is renounced for going soggy and no longer dispensing/going off. That said if its only a couple of days the fish should be fine without food for that length of time...

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Hi all

Back off holiday and had a few losses (4 Rasbora's), to be expected with my luck. Checked ammonia and it is 0.27ppm. Would a 20% water change help, or could I just put a does of Prime in the water?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #385 on: April 21, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about your losses.
I would do a water change. If you are using the prime as your water conditioner as well then that will also help.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #386 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your losses.
I would do a water change. If you are using the prime as your water conditioner as well then that will also help.

I expected 1, but got 4. Thought I had lost more but the Black Phantoms were hiding, all 7 of them. Which leads me to a question, they hide most of the time, is there anything I can do to bring them out?

Offline Sue

« Reply #387 on: April 21, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
I've forgotten  :-[ do you have many plants or other decor? I know you intended fake plants, which is fine as long as you have a few of them not just one or two. The most common reasons for fish hiding are that they don't like the water, they don't like their tank mates (usually timid fish sharing a tank with aggressive fish) or that they don't have enough hiding places. Fish that have plenty of hiding places know there is somewhere to run to if a predator comes along so they come out more. (Fish don't know they are in a tank and are safe from predators  ;) )

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
I've forgotten  :-[ do you have many plants or other decor? I know you intended fake plants, which is fine as long as you have a few of them not just one or two. The most common reasons for fish hiding are that they don't like the water, they don't like their tank mates (usually timid fish sharing a tank with aggressive fish) or that they don't have enough hiding places. Fish that have plenty of hiding places know there is somewhere to run to if a predator comes along so they come out more. (Fish don't know they are in a tank and are safe from predators  ;) )

There are lots of places to hide, they just seem to hide behind the same big green plant. There are barrels, a hollow log and 2 temple things where they could hide as well as other plants. Their tank mates are Rasboras, they are usually lively, maybe too lively?

Offline Sue

« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
In my tank it is the rasboras that hide, but I have hengels rasboras not harlequins.
Harlequins are often cited as being slow swimming peaceful fish and black phantoms as being more outgoing. I would expect it to be the harlequins that hide from the phantoms. But fish don't read fish books......

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
Sorry to read of more fatalities. I'm inclined to suggest you avoid adding any more rasboras from now on as you seem to have been beset by problems. How many rasboras are you left with and how many phantoms do you have?

I wonder if the phantoms somehow dislike and are hiding from a strong water current? Is the plant, behind which they hide, sheltered from the water current? If so, could the water current have its direction of flow changed or power of flow reduced? Alternatively, perhaps they'll become more confident if they now outnumber the rasboras.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
I have 2 Rasbora left now and 7 Phantoms. The pipe from the filter is pointing toward the surface of the tank, I could try and redirect it and see what happens. They are at bottom of tank near the filter, so would say the current would be less there. I cant adjust the flow rate.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
For a very low level of water movement you can always point the outflow towards the glass of the tank, that's the general advice with axolotls, who get very stressed from strong water flow. I generally have the outflow pointing towards the surface of my tanks to make sure there is surface movement to help gas exchange and increase oxygen in the water.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
Have redirected the water flow, still got surface agitation but directed against glass more, hopefully that might help.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #394 on: April 22, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
Ok, been doing some thinking about what to do next. The  Phantoms are still hiding and although I love the Harlequins have lost so many wondering if I should try another fish. Any thoughts? I would like neon's but want to add them last.

Also, I haven't really cleaned my filter yet. Am I right in thinking I just rinse out in water I take out of tank? Do I squeeze the sponges or just move them side to side?

Offline Sue

« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »
Yes, neons should be added later. They are delicate fish nowadays so I would wait until the tank is running with no problems.

Sponges should be squeezed gently in old tank water. You need to remove any brown goo on the surface but not squeeze them so hard that you dislodge the biofilm. There shouldn't be too much goo as the white pad is there to stop bits of debris reaching the sponges (in theory).
I've always found that blue sponges turn a sort of purple colour. In my tanks they never went blue again after washing.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #396 on: April 23, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »
Do you think it would be ok to move or remove the big green bush to see if the phantoms might come out more? There is still a few hiding places?

Offline Sue

« Reply #397 on: April 23, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »
I wouldn't. There must be a reason why they are hiding behind the bush and moving it will cause them stress.

Do they rush and hide behind it when they see movement outside the tank or are they there all the time? The way to find out is to sit away from the tank but close enough to see what the fish are doing, and keep still for a while, perhaps as long as half an hour, so they forget you are there. Then they will behave normally.
Fish don't behave normally if they see movement which they interpret as something coming to get them, or they see you and assume they are about to be fed. In the case of your fish it doesn't sound like the latter so you need to find out if they are just hiding from the perceived threat of something moving outside the tank.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #398 on: April 23, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »
They seem there all the time. Have tried sitting away and watching, one or two might pop out but then hide again.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #399 on: April 25, 2017, 08:14:01 PM »
Fish still hiding, not sure what else to do. Removed the back picture today to see if that helped, seem a very little more out, maybe over next few days they might come out.

I am getting to the end of my ammonia test kit, can it sometimes throw up strange readings?

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless cycling problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: