Author Topic: Fishless cycling problem  (Read 47617 times) 425 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Fishless cycling problem
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Added 2 more fish today but slightly worried about one of the others who is hiding today, same as Billy no mates did last week. Fingers crossed.

Had a look at pets at home and wondering what peoples view is on following fish.

Black Phantom
Golden Barb
Red Honey Gourami

The barb seems to like a low temperature (16-24) so might not be right but interested what everyone else thinks?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »
Also sad to report one fish i was worried about. :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Was the 'iffy' fish from the same batch as the first one to die? If yes, it could be a less than perfect batch of fish.

Black phantoms would be OK with the harlequins, but I would be wary of keeping them with gouramis as they might nip their 'feelers' (ie modified pectoral fins). Seriously fish recommends 8 to 10 minimum.
Gold barbs need it a bit cooler that the other fish you've been thinking about.
Red honey gourami - fine. But they are very hard to sex and you'd need 1 male, and at least one female, preferably two. With the red colour you have to go by fin shape alone, which is not a guaranteed method. Looking at the the fin along the back and the one along the underside, those will have more pointed ends in males and more rounded ends in females. The problem is that if the fish in the shop are very young, the males won't yet have grown the pointiness.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
Not sure about iffy fish but might have been. So down to 6. Fish do seem to chase and nudge each other, could this be causing a problem, and if so anything i can do about it?

Possibly black phantoms with the Harlequins and Cory's. Is it just neon tetras that have a slight health issue or is it all of them. Saw some Rummynose and red-eye ( i think) and other tetra types.

Offline Sue

« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
The chasing and nudging is normal. It could be males vying for potition or males trying to get females to spawn.

Neon tetras have 2 problems.
They do not do well in new tanks. It has been suggested that this is due to the lack of some micro-organism other than the filter bacetria and that these mirco-organisms perform some function, or remove or make something that is necessary for neons to do well. They are also farmed in vast numbers, and conditions at a lot of farms leave a lot to be desired, eg the continual use of antibiotics to keep the fish disease free - then when they are moved on, the anitobiotics stop and the fish come down with everything they are exposed to.
Then there's neon tetra disease, which is incurable. I know neons can get this but I'm not sure if other sepcies can. The closley related cardinal and green neon tetras probably do - all three are in the genus Paracheirodon.

Rummies do have a reputation for needing mature tanks but as I've never kept them I can't say from personal experience. But I don't think they get neon tetra disease.

Red eyes will be OK as they shouldn't get ntd, but they are a fast swimming nippy species so tank mates have to be chosen with care.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that you've had another casualty.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »
All seems ok with remaining 6. One didn't feed this morning but is lively so hopefully is ok. Ammonia and Nitrite both zero, makes me wonder if I might get more fish a little sooner than 7 days. I know it's ideally not the right thing but having lost two I feel I am a week behind. But will have a think.

Offline Sue

« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
With only 6 fish in the tank I will relent and say as long as you've had both at zero for 4 days, get more fish. But as you add more fish in less than 7 days, I suggest testing twice a day as near 12 hours apart as your lifestyle permits - just to be on the safe side.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
Do you think if I added 3 more harlequins on Thursday or Friday, then check every 12 hours for a few days I would be ok. Would switch back to 7 days after this, thinking was with results always zero I was missing opportunity to add fish?

Offline Sue

« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
The 'wait 7 days' is to make sure that the tank really can handle the last addition of fish, but it is probably overkill. The trouble with a lot of new starters is that they go mad addding a whole lot of fish too quickly to an uncycled tank, so trying to slow them down is the important thing.

In your case you may well have enough bacteria after the weeks you spent trying to fishless cycle it, it's just that we couldn't be sure because of the lack of nitrite. So yes, as long as you keep a close check on ammonia and nitrite after each addition you can probably safely add fish quicker than every 7 days. If you do ever see ammonia and/or nitrite showing up, do water changes till they stay at zero by themselves and take it slower from that point.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
Slightly worried about 1 of the new fish, he hasn't eaten today that i can tell. I read somewhere sometimes new fish don't eat for the first day or so, is that correct?

Offline Sue

« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »
It's not that they don't eat, a lot of people advise not to feeding fish on the day they go into a tank. They advise keeping the lights off til the following day and not doing anything to disturb the new fish, including giving them food.

A fish might not eat when just put into a tank for 2 reasons. It might be very stressed by what has happened to it. Not just being put in your tank but the whole experience since it left the fish farm. This individual might have had more than its fair share of being chased by a net in the shop, for example. And secondly, some fish don't recognise that the food the fishkeeper gives them is food if the shop fed something different. Admittedly this is more likely to happen with fish like bettas, but it could be the problem here.

Keep an eye on it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
I don't want to give false reassurance but, if this helps:
* when I first got my x-ray tetras, one had a tendency to be on his own and spend most of the time staring at his own reflection, being a loner and not eating - at some stage down the line, this all changed
* when I first got my harlequin rasboras, one started spending a lot of its time away from the shoal and never ate much; this situation is still the same, with two harlequins being significantly smaller than the other four, but they're still fine 22 months down the line

I got rid of all "cave-like" decor, so that no-one had an excuse to stay completely hidden away from the others for any prolonged length of time - I think this has probably helped the situation.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »
I don't want to give false reassurance but, if this helps:
* when I first got my x-ray tetras, one had a tendency to be on his own and spend most of the time staring at his own reflection, being a loner and not eating - at some stage down the line, this all changed
* when I first got my harlequin rasboras, one started spending a lot of its time away from the shoal and never ate much; this situation is still the same, with two harlequins being significantly smaller than the other four, but they're still fine 22 months down the line

I got rid of all "cave-like" decor, so that no-one had an excuse to stay completely hidden away from the others for any prolonged length of time - I think this has probably helped the situation.

My only worry is the other 2 who have died showed similar tendencies. Funnily the one tonight was right at bottom of tank, but then 10 minutes later he was swimming with others, but then later on he was hiding on his own.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »
Sadly it seems I might be loosing another rasbora. He seemed dead at bottom of tank but did move very slightly but don't think he will last. Am I missing something? Would something like Seachem stability help? Or is it just due to where they come from? So now back to 5. Water tests still all ok. I suppose I could get more fish but just want to make sure there is no underlying problem I am missing.

Offline Sue

« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »
Have you been getting the harlequins from the same shop? If you have, I suggest you try somewhere else. It might not be the shop itself but the wholesaler who sent them a batch of sickly fish. A different shop (not just a different branch of the same chain) will most likely have a different wholesaler.

Or try getting a different species.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
Have you been getting the harlequins from the same shop? If you have, I suggest you try somewhere else. It might not be the shop itself but the wholesaler who sent them a batch of sickly fish. A different shop (not just a different branch of the same chain) will most likely have a different wholesaler.

Or try getting a different species.

I seem to have lost two from one shop and one from the other shop. I know Cory's are in my list, could get 3 of them and see how we go. or 3 more harlequins.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
Sorry to read about this.

I wouldn't opt for cories yet - they tend to fare better in more mature tanks, say 9+ months down the line once a biofilm has developed. (In fact, that's one of numerous theories I have for why mine didn't fare well.) So perhaps a different species altogether is a better option.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2017, 10:03:55 PM »
Ok that's a shame, Cory's and Harlequins were on my most wanted list. Black Phantoms a possible but will go to other shop tomorrow and see what they have, research and then buy some more fish tomorrow as loosing 2 in 2 days has taken me back to 5. Fingers crossed for no more losses.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Keeping fingers crossed for you and your fish.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless cycling problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: