Author Topic: Fishless cycling problem  (Read 47465 times) 425 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Fishless cycling problem
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ok I think this is where I get confused. As I understand it if ammonia and nitrite stays at 0 for 7 days with no water changes then the tank is cycled? Is this the right way to think about it?

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
Well, as with all things natural - sort of. ONCE you have established a full community of bacteria, both the ones that process Ammonia into Nitrites and the ones that process Nitrites into Nitrates ....and you have Ammonia and Nitrites at 'zero' for 7 days with a source of Ammonia still being fed into the tank (from the fish) THEN you have a cycled filter.
What we need to be sure is that you have the bacteria and not just clean water, so this where the term cycle comes from. We expect to see a rise in Ammonia, then a fall as it is processed followed by a rise in Nitrites again followed by a fall ending up with Nitrates Only then can you say there must have been bacteria doing the processing and you have a Biofilter and not just a tank of clean water.
The water changes and limits complicate this process but they are needed to keep the fish alive.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
And after 7 days of zero readings, with no water changes being done, it means the tank is cycled for the amount of fish currently in the tank. It does not mean the tank is cycled for a tankful of fish as it would be with fishless cycling. This is why more fish should be added slowly.

Say you added the same amount of fish as you have at the moment. You'd have twice as many fish as you have now and they'd make twice as much ammonia as the fish you have now. But you'd have only enough bacteria to eat the ammonia made by the first batch of fish; you'd have to grow a lot more bacteria to eat the ammonia made by the new fish. You'd end up having to do water changes again while the bacteria grew.

The rule of thumb is that it is safe to add new fish that are  equal to a third of the fish already in the tank. The bacteria can grow enough bacteria for the new third quickly enough that ammonia and/or nitrite won't build up, and if they do appear it won't last long.
With 4 fish it is tricky to add a third of that number (one and a third fish) so the most I would add would be 2 new fish. You'd then have 6 fish. Then test the water again and when you've had zeros for a week, add more fish. A third of 6 fish is 2 fish, so you could add 2 more fish, making 8. Then test the water and when you have double zeros for a week, add 3 more fish, making 11. Then when you've had double zeros for a week, you can add 4 new fish, making 15 in total. A third of 15 is 5 so the next addition could be 5 fish. And so on till you have all your fish.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Thanks Sue and Andy

So as I understand things I have had 3 days of 0 ammonia and nitrite. If I have another 4 days of zero readings then you are saying that my tank is cycled enough for the 4 fish I have. Is that correct?

If it is then I plan to add 2 more Harlequins and then wait till ammonia and nitrites have been zero for 7 days, and then add another 2.

What about water changes, should I do any and if so when?

Offline Sue

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
That's right.

Water changes - do them if you see ammonia and/or nitrite; and if you don't see any, once a week. Wth only a few fish you won't need to do a large weekly water change but you'll need to increase the amount changed as you get more fish till you are doing 30 to 40% once the tank is fully stocked.
Remember you have soft water with low KH so you'll need to do bigger water changes than most people just to keep the KH topped up. I have low KH too and with an overstocked tank I find that 40% a week is fine.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
perfect. So checked today and ammonia and nitrate both 0.05 and nitrate 4.18. So that makes 4 days of zero readings.

Re water changes, when I get to day 7, should I do small water change then before adding new fish?

Offline Sue

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
Re water changes, when I get to day 7, should I do small water change then before adding new fish?

That would be the logical time to do a water change. The fish already there will have settled in and you won't stress new fish by doing a water change shortly after they are put in the tank and haven't settled in yet.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »
ok, so plan is if ammonia and nitrites stay at zero, will do 20% water change on Saturday or Sunday, and then add the 2 fish the following day. Does that sound like a plan?

Offline Sue

« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
That sounds good.
You could add fish later the same day if the timing is convenient for you.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
Can anyone suggest a similar fish to a Marble Hatchetfish as my LFS doesn't seem to have them. Other fish that will be in tank will be Harlequins, Panda Corys, Neon Tertras and a bolivian ram. Would also consider another fish similar to neons and harlequins.
I understand you can get fish by post, but would rather get from LFS if possible.

Offline Sue

« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
I assume you want a shoaling fish that lives at the top of the water column like hatchet fish?

While they don't swim as high up as hatchetfish, how about golden/beckford's pencilfish Nannostomus beckfordi? Profiles here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nannostomus-beckfordi/ and here http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/golden-pencilfish.html They are about the same size as hatchetfish and pencilfish have an unusual way of hovering in the water which makes them an interesting addition to a tank.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »
How accurate is the community creator? I only ask as having 8 each of Harlequins, Pencilfish, Neon Tetra and Panda Corys gives me 99% stock level for 105 litre tank. When I use volume calculator it tells me 146 litres, which is not correct.

Offline Sue

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:49 PM »
To be honest it's a bit on the generous side. I prefer to stock to 80% of what it says I can have.

Since smaller fish tend to do better in shoals bigger than 6, your answer might be to have just 3 species rather than 4.

For instance,if you want fish that all come from the same part of the world, drop the Asian harlequins and get the south American neons, pencilfish and cories.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
Well I already have some harlequins, if I drop the pencilfish, I can have 9 each of harlequins, panda corys and neon (or Cardinal) tetra and a bolivian ram makes 81%.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2017, 10:16:02 PM »
Bolivian Rams are pair forming... what stocking percentage would you be on with 2? Could you drop 1 of each of the others to make it work?  You'll get better more natural colouration and behaviour with a pair.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »
Bolivian Rams are pair forming... what stocking percentage would you be on with 2? Could you drop 1 of each of the others to make it work?  You'll get better more natural colouration and behaviour with a pair.

Not got calculator open but that could work.

Offline Sue

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »
You need to be careful with getting a pair of rams, of either species - Bolivian or German/blue/gold/neon blue etc. These fish like to choose their own mate and getting any male and any female can end in a blood bath. And with Bolivian rams it is almost impossible to sex the juveniles in a shop tank. I know, been there, done that.

Several years ago I had a Rio 125 and knew nothing about rams neeeding to chose their own mates. I bought what I hoped was a pair of Bolivian rams which turned out to be 2 males. I was lucky because they did not behave as usual and they tolerated each other with only a small amount of bickering. Until the day I found a shop which had some adult Bolivian rams with their breeding tubes visible and I was able to chose 2 females. Once the males had something to fight over, they did and I had to remove one of the males to my quarantine tank within hours. The remaining male paired up with one of the females, and they both attacked the second female. Luckily the shop bought back the spare rams.

If you definitely want rams watch the shop tank quietly for some time. Once they get used to you standing there they'll go back to their not-being-watched behaviour. Some of the fish will chase other fish away. Those are males. Some of the males might allow one other fish near - these are females that the male likes and are most likely to pair up with. Buy one of the males that allows another fish near, and the fish he allows near. I would take someone with you to go for an assistant while you keep an eye on your chosen fish.

Or get apistogrammas instead. A 1 male 2 female trio is do-able in a Rio 125 - I've done that too. The most common apistos in shops are cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlid) and agassizi, both in a few colour variations.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Hi Sue

I think I will just go with the 3 types, Harlequins, Panda Corys and either Neon or Cardinal tetras. Seems by the stocking guide I can have 9 or 10 of each, although will do some research to see if one kind can have a little less and the other two a little more.  Readings still zero so looking good.

Keep forgetting to ask, my tank temperature when lights off is 25.5c but with lights on can reach 26.5c. is this ok or should I drop temp slightly?

Offline Sue

« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
Looking on Fishbase (the site written for scientists) the temp ranges of the fish on your list are:
harlequins - 22 to 25oC
panda cories - 20 to 25
cardinal tetras - 23 to 27
neon tetras - 20 to 26

Neons would be a better match for panda cories and harlquins with a temp 23 deg C.
The 1 deg rise when the lights are on won't do any harm but I would turn the heater down to get 23 with the lights off and 24 with them on, or even 22 with lights off and 23 with them on.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2017, 08:01:23 PM »
will aim for 23c. My heater isn't very accurate so might take a few days to get down to 23.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless cycling problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: