Hidden Filter

Author Topic: Hidden Filter  (Read 5494 times) 5 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Hidden Filter
« on: June 22, 2014, 05:37:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I saw this guys video on utube and thought I should share it and maybe get everyones thoughts on the subject...it seems a genius idea to me and one I might have a go at.

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hidden Filter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Interesting idea if you want an air driven filter. I've never used air driven as you have to use a pump and they are generally noisier than internals - and my husband complains about noise from even them.

Can anyone who uses air powered filters tell me if they have anything like the turnover rate of an internal or external filters? They'd be great for fry or shrimp tanks though.

Offline AdyDnt

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
I have been thinking about air driven filters for my shrimp tank which is in my bedroom, I'm hoping the internal one is quiet enough though. I suppose an airline from the pump could be any length helping the pump to be hidden away somewhere.

Offline Thor God Of Thunder

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
pondguru, that guy is great. his biohome media appears to be the greatest thing ever.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Good morning everyone.

Using Pond Guru's principles I have made two small air driven filters as I wanted one for the tiny 12 litre quarantine rank and one for a spare. It also meant I could play around with different shapes. They aren't concealed ones though as my tanks are too small to fit Pond Guru's one in.

The first one is squat, made from a small clear plastic peanut butter jar (value range - I gave the peanut butter to my husband for his rat  bait). 
It  is currently filled with foam, ceramic noodles and filter floss and is in the quarantine tank.  This had been in the 60cm tank since I put all the stock in several weeks ago. 
It cycled the quarantine tank in just over 48 hours at 1.5ppm so I am now increasing the ammonia slightly until I make up my mind if I am adding fish to the Nano tank as well as shrimp. (I am assuming the low bioload of shrimp means 1.5ppm would be sjuitable?)

The other one is made from a baby's new small bottle so it taller and thinner.  This is now in the 60cm, again with mature media in it, in the hope that if I need an emergency filter there is one ready. Thee 60cm doesn't rely on this filter as it has it's own.

They both obviously run from an air filter. One of these is VERY noisy so would not be possible to use in a bedroom unless you had hearing problems !!

They do appear to be effective at keeping the water clear. At this size I wouldn't expect them to filter the 60cm properly but in an emergency it would help and also provide oxygen. However, if you can stand the noise of the filter, (perhaps using a longer line and placing the filter in the cupboard underneath?) I'm sue it would be pretty effective.

If I had a big tank like the 200lt mentioned then as well as the external I would fit an invisible  version like in the video  so that you always have a ready made backup.

Yesterday I ordered Pond Guru's new edition to his range of biiohome media. 
It's basically the same as his Ultra but is made especially for BioOrbs type tanks. (He has a video in which he is very excited by his own invention!)
It is said to be brilliant for small filters such as my home made ones.  Worth checking out if you are setting up a tank or filter (He uses it in place of gravel).  It isn't cheap, but I know I can be sneaky with this, getting it past the other half without too many queries as to cost, because it looks a bit like cat litter so he wont assume it costs a lot  ;)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »
As a PS to my above post regarding noisy airdriven filters, I got so fed up listening to this old one that I'm using that I decided to put on a longer length of line and drop the pump itself through the back of the drawer on the cupboard the tank is sitting on.

I thought in the drawer it would be quieter.

I didn't get as far as that though.  I attached a line about 2ft long and it quietened down immediately, so much so that my husband, who hasn't complained once about the noisy filter said straight away, thank goodness for that.

I don't know why a longer line has made it quieter.  I had already tried line suppressor thing to reduce the air going through but that didn't work either.

Anyway, just thought the info might be useful to somebody

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hidden Filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 12:45:01 PM
by wooders
8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 07:04:50 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 10:52:15 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 07:55:36 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
by RachelN76
9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 08:56:28 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: