Fishless Cycling And Bacterial Bloom - I Am Confused (not Unusual)

Author Topic: Fishless Cycling and Bacterial Bloom - I am confused (not unusual)  (Read 14739 times) 54 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

I thought I had got to grips with this fishless cycling, after the trials of my 125L, and all those dozens of tests. However, as you may have seen elsewhere on here, my shrimpery is underway:

Filter: Moray 320. This model has three main compartments, for sponge (top), carbon canister (middle), and ceramic canister (bottom, nearest the inlet). At the back of each compartment, there is a separate space with a water inlet/outlet to which I have added some crushed coral for my low KH/GH.. Initially I replaced the carbon with a piece of mature sponge from my 125L. The flow rate was almost undetectable, so I removed the sponge and placed it in the tank, near to the filter inlet. Flow is now OK through the (optional) spraybar. I intend to add another ceramic canister in the empty compartment.

Other Mature Media: I have added a Java coconut, a large piece of bogwood, and one piece of Bacopa (currently floating) from my 125L.

Water: About 60% from my 125L - NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 20-40, the remainder is conditioned tapwater -NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 5-10. The water is currently very cloudy, which I know is not unusual.

My estimated water volume is about 32L,  allowing for the filter, gravel etc., so I added 1ml of Jeyes Kleenoff for 3ppm (I may have some otos or pygmy cories in there as well). I hour later I had a nice green NH3 test.
Today, my first "3 day test", I found NH3 0.25, NO2 0, NO3 0. I repeated the tests just to be sure. I also did a 1/5th nitrite test - still zero.

To me, none of this seems logical. The low NH3 says that nitrite has been produced, but it isn't there. I added NO3 with the tank & tap water.....where is it? Should I add another 3ppm of NH3?

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Re: I am confused (not unusual)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 02:28:46 PM »
Having posted the above, and then sat down to think (often helps), could it be that the "bacterial bloom" has "eaten" the NO3 & NO2, or NH3 ? I have just noticed that there are some white "stringy" things on the surface. Tank smells OK.

Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »
It does seem a bit odd with all the nitrate that went into the tank and I don't think you have enough plants to get rid of it. Does 'java coconut' mean a half coconut shell covered with java fern/moss? Even if that is what you mean, that plus a bit of bacopa shouldn't get rid of all that nitrate that quickly. Though I'd better ask, you do shake whichever bottle it is of the nitrate test that needs shaking?

As far as ammonia and nitrite are concerned, you may well have added enough bacteria to deal with them in 3 days. I would add another 3ppm just to check everything, and test after 24 hours to see what the levels are then.

You'd posted your extra bit by the time I tried to post! Bacterial blooms don't do anything to ammonia, nitrite or nitrate directly. They do remove oxygen from the water which could potentially deprive the bacteria in the old media and on the surface of the things from the old tank. But if that was happening, they wouldn't be removing the ammonia or nitrite. The main way the bloom bacteria interfere with cycling is by dying when all their food is gone and decomposing to make ammonia. I would ignore the bloom and keep on with the cycle.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »
Hello Sue,

Yes, the coconut has Java Moss.....and some snails, which were unintentionally transferred with it.....and they are currently sitting above the waterline. So your comment about oxygen depletion is spot on.

Yes, I give the NO3 no.2 bottle a good 30 secs. vigorous shake, and this tester is currently finding 20-40 ppm in the 125 L. Fascinating. I will add a further 3ppm NH3 tonight and will keep you posted.

Thanks as always,
                                          Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »
Even if that is what you mean, that plus a bit of bacopa shouldn't get rid of all that nitrate that quickly.

Ooops, bit of a typo in my last post. I have changed it to what it should have been, the bits I've added are in red in the quote above. It does change the meaning of what I wrote quite a bit  :-[

The snails sitting above the water line could well be due to the ammonia you added. They don't like it very much.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:05:38 PM »
Hello Sue,

No problem - read and understood as you intended. Perhaps I'm getting old.....or maybe a visit to Specsavers (again) is called for.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »
Hello Sue,

Just repeated the 3 tests from this morning before adding the NH3. Results exactly the same. There is now a thick oily film on the surface, which is clearly affecting gas exchange, despite the efforts of the spraybar. There are a number of large gas filled bubbles just sitting there. I burst the largest (about 3 cms. dia.) and had a sniff. It smelled odd (not like the 125L), but it wasn't a smell I remember from school chemistry days, (mind you, that was about 97 years ago), certainly not ammonia or hydrogen sulphide. Should I do a water change first, or just add the NH3.The fog in the tank now looks like an old London smog! (no wonder the snails have moved out......they were just within range....)

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
I would do two things.
First, lay a paper towel flat on the surface and lift off carefully to remove the film. Repeat as necessary.
Then when you have removed as much of the film as possible, do a water change, refill and add ammonia.

The film is usually caused by oil in fish food, but as you aren't using any fish food, I'm at a loss to know what caused it.

One silly thought. Does the bottle of ammonia say Kleen Off Ammonia multi-purpose household cleaner? I have heard of people using other products in the Kleen Off range which aren't pure ammonia, if they are ammonia at all.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 10:33:24 AM »
Hello Sue,

Thanks for the reply. I will do that. The Kleenoff I used is the NH3, which I also used on the 125L.

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time googling and reading about "bacterial bloom". Much of it was either very old, or of little use. However, I did find an article on www.oscarfish.com which, in my eyes, describes what has happened in my tank. It even explains the mysterious disappearance of the nitrate. Apparently, it's all down to "heterotrophic bacteria" as opposed to our much loved "autotrophic" ones.

It also suggests that one of the solutions is active carbon, which removes the organic food source for the heterotrophs......and I took mine out! If you have time to read it, I would love to know what you think.

I think my source of organics could be the water from the 125L. I replaced my active carbon pad in there with another ordinary sponge some time ago.

Thanks again, will keep you posted,

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
In a brand new tank like yours the main source of organics is the tank itself. All the plastic things in the tank (filter casing, top of the heater etc) contain plasticiser; the sealant leaches organic chemicals. This is why bacterial blooms are so common in new tanks. But adding things from your other tank will also add organic matter.
Yes, carbon does remove organic matter but in these scenarios it will get full quickly and need replacing frequently. And water changes will get rid of the organics too, though until they've all gone the heterotrophs multiply faster that you can get rid of them so water changes won't remove the bacteria.

With 32 litres, It won't be that arduous to do frequent water changes. I did my first fishless cycle a couple of years ago, before this new method of cycling had been thought up, and I did regular water changes on that 25 litre tank to prevent nitrite and nitrate building up. If you don't have anywhere in the filter for carbon, try water changes just before you add a dose of ammonia.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 11:58:36 AM »
Agreed Sue. In the middle of the first change now, and the odour from the tank is most unpleasant. I am still doing small w/c's on the 125L every 4 days, to keep nitrates between 20 & 40, as my pathetic first attempt at fishless cycling produced 100's ppm of nitrate (mind you, the plants are growing very well). I have also recently reduced the amount I am feeding. So, another half an hour with the bucket and tube won't make a lot of difference. The space for the carbon in the filter is still empty, awaiting a second ceramic canister. I thought I would try just frequent w/c's first and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then I'll add the carbon. Otherwise we won't know which was the better solution.

Whilst I am desperate to have my Cherry Shrimps, I do enjoy "problem solving" (sad isn't it?). So, as the saying goes: "never a day passes when I don't learn something".

Thanks yet again for sharing your expertise,

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »
Update.
80%+ w/c completed. Oily slime wiped from tank sides. NH3 added.

Sue - I struggled with the paper towel, so I used a 2 pint plastic jug, and slowly pushed the bottom into the tank (with the jug at about 45deg). As the lip reached the surface, most of the oily slick from the surface slowly poured itself into the jug.

Fingers crossed that I haven't killed whatever good bacteria were in there....but if I have there is always some more in the 125L filter.

The stench in the lounge has dissipated somewhat.......mind you I did have beans for lunch!!

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »
I've never mastered the paper towel technique either, it always ends up with oily patches on the surface when I've tried. But then I am well known for being on the clumsy side.

As long as you haven't added any undechlorinated water, your autotrophs should be unharmed. We can get away with quite a lot of messing during fishless cycling as there are no fish to harm.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Update 2.

Have done 3 x 80%+ w/c's in 3 days, adding 2 ppm NH3 after each one, and I thought I could see (literally) a slight improvement. So, I left it for 48 hrs., and the thick fog, surface slime, and awful stench have returned. When I arrived home last evening, I had to open the outside door to clear it from the lounge!  :sick:  Just done w/c no.4 .....will keep you posted.

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »
I'm at a loss to know what to suggest. I have no idea what could be causing the smell, or the cloudiness.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
Hello Sue,

Don't worry - I will keep on with the w/c's for a few days  - I will get rid of the organics eventually - and then I think I may have to "start again" - but I WILL have learned something. Will keep you posted when I can see the "light of day".

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
Hello Sue,

Progress! (possibly). The "light of day" (i.e. the cable behind the tank) is still just visible after 2 days. Also, the awful smell is now only discernible when I lift the hood. So, I thought I would test my parameters again.
NH3 0, NO2 0, and NO3 0! PH is 7.4, and the same as my tap water. Remember, this about 48 hours after adding 2ppm NH3 after a large w/c (4th time). I have retested my tap water, and confirmed the Water Authority NO3  figure of 5-10 ppm. I have read (oscarfish) that heterotrophic bacteria can consume NO3 and release nitrogen - which is odourless (according to Wikipedia). Also they can apparently operate with & without oxygen, whereas our "good" autotrophic ones can't. I really can't decide whether I have a cycle going on or not yet. So, here comes w/c no.5, followed by tests, and we will see what happens. I know that this is really sad, but I AM enjoying this.........fascinating.......Will keep you posted.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
It's Me Again!

Just an update. One hour after w/c no.5, I did an NH3 test - a nice green 2ppm as expected. One day later, tests were: NH3 0.25, NO2 0, NO3 0, and the tank is still somewhat cloudy, with a slightly unpleasant smell. As a further check (on me and the nitrate tester) I tested the 125L, and found the 20 - 40 ppm I was expecting. After tomorrow's w/c, I am going to remove the Java Moss coconut, and the piece of bacopa, just in case they are consuming the NO3 - which I very much doubt. Just think....... bacteria like these could be everywhere.......what will they eat next? :yikes: ........Will keep you posted.

Skittler

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
You seem to be enjoying yourself far too much with all these cycle problems.

You don't need another tank, you need a science kit! 

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Hello All,

Anne - 97 years ago I trained to be an Engineer, today I ARE one!  I am afraid all those C's, H's & O's in Organic Chemistry were too much for me, I even found Latin easier! I did once ask for a Chemistry Set for Christmas, but my Dad was convinced that I would blow the house up......he, of course, was able to read what the Chemistry teacher thought about me in my school report!

I made a mistake with w/c no.5 - I forgot to decant the slime from the surface. Within 24hrs, I was back to a very cloudy tank, and a lounge with an all pervading (sulphurous?) stench! :sick:. So, w/c no.6 was done,  the slime removed, and the tank sides wiped. The Java Moss coconut and the small piece of bacopa were also removed, and 2ppm NH3 added as usual. One day later, tests showed NH3 0.5, NO2 0, NO3 0. I wish I knew who was stealing my ammonia! This morning (36 hrs. approx.), the tank is a little clearer and the smell is again only detectable when I lift the hood. Also, I can see a lot of whitish strands on the black gravel. They stand out quite clearly. Could this be the beginning of the end of those nasty little heterotrophs?

It seems that ensuring that the slime is removed from the surface is vital in this situation. If you could see the large bubbles of foul smelling gas that sat beneath it, unable to escape, you would be horrified! I suspect that the tank was in serious oxygen debt whilst this situation continued.

I hope that I am not boring you all with the detail of my trials & tribulations. Perhaps it will be useful for the next poor so & so that suffers. Will keep you posted.

Skittler

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless Cycling and Bacterial Bloom - I am confused (not unusual)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
by Gaynor
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post November 25, 2014, 07:15:16 AM
by Richard W
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: