Fishless Cycling And Bacterial Bloom - I Am Confused (not Unusual)

Author Topic: Fishless Cycling and Bacterial Bloom - I am confused (not unusual)  (Read 14793 times) 54 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Re: I am confused (not unusual)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

Last night all parameters were zero, so I added another 2ppm NH3 to the tank. This is the second addition since the last w/c. I have now added a total of 17ppm of NH3, and am still yet to see any NO2 or NO3. This morning parameters are: NH3 2, NO2 0, NO3 0. (and I am adding NO3 with each w/c!!)
The white deposit on the black gravel has spread, and is now "growing". It looks like thin cotton wool, 5-10mm high, wavering in the flow. Quite eerie really. The evil smell has virtually gone, and there is only a little slime on the surface in very small patches. The tank seems clearer than yesterday. So, w/c no.7 is to be done, and I will try and target the white "growths". This is definitely different.....let's hope it's progress.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
Hello All,

It is nearly 2 days since the last NH3 addition....and there is still some there. It's rate of disappearance seems to be slowing down. Also, and I am NOT sure about this, but there may just be a hint of nitrite.  :o. The test was a little darker than the "duck egg blue" that I am used to. As usual, no nitrate. I also measured KH & GH, as I know that my tap water figures are low.
Parameters were: pH 7.4, NH3 0.5, NO2 0-0.25?, NO3 0, KH 3, GH 4

The tank is now almost clear, with only a faint hint of the smell. The oily slime seems to have gone. However, the white deposit on the gravel has returned - I am hoping that this is due to dead heterotrophic bacteria. I suspect that others in a similar situation may not see this white deposit, as my gravel is black. So, w/c no. 8 is to be done, and I will add a small amount of baking soda to help with KH.

I have drawn some conclusions from this episode:

1) Something, probably one of the heterotrophic bacteria, has eaten the nitrate that was added at each w/c. 
    There are some references on the web that this is possible.
2) Either,
        a) something has eaten the ammonia without converting it to nitrite, or
        b) I do have a cycle going, and the ammonia has been converted to nitrite, and maybe then to nitrate,
            but either or both are being eaten as in (1) above.

Now where is that siphon tube....
                      Happy Days
                                Skittler

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
I do so admire your cheerfulness and patience. I was ready to throw the first tank out of the window!

I expect you can walk to the siphon tube blindfolded now can't you  ;D

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
Hello Sanjo,

Thank you for those kind words. I carry the siphon tube around my neck, and the bottle of ammonia is always in my pocket! Honest!

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
Hello All,

BINGO !!  :cheers:  :cheers: and I WILL be going for a celebratory pint shortly. After 17 days, I am cycling. 22 hrs. after the last w/c and NH3 addition, I have: NH3 0.5, NO2 0.5, NO3 0-0.5? (maybe), KH 4. I am so chuffed.

However, the slight down side is that the white growth is there again - and I should have noticed this before - it is mainly encircling the (mature) bogwood which I stole from my 125L. Bogwood is organic? .... and I have this picture in my head of the last remaining heterotrophs desperately trying to get there to eat......you ain't gonna make it boys!  :raspberries . The Last Stand at the Little Bogwood!

So, off to the pub  :cheers:

Skittler

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »
Congratulations,

I would have given up at the slime and bad smell.

Enjoy your pint - you DO deserve it  :cheers:

Remember to leave the ammonia and syphon tube at home.

Anne

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »
I'm with Anne on this one. First hint of bad smell and that would have been it.  It's bad enough when I cleaned the tank ornament ready to go into it's new position. It has a hole in it and the water that came out of that was UCKKKK, but then I knew it was a one off. Stayed up my nose for ages though.

And he can't leave the siphon tube at home because it's part of him now, like a necklace  :rotfl:

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
Thank you ladies,

What made the stench worse was that I have a very good sense of smell ..... unlike my hearing ....  :isay:.
Pardon?

Today is w/c day on the 125L, so I suppose I might as well do them both......?

Do you think that this w/c business could be contagious?.........buy a tank ....w/c's .... MTS .... aaargh ! ... another tank ... more w/c's ....  siphon tube around the neck ... more MTS ... etc ....where will it all end?

Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »
Well done  ;D

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »
Hello All,

Well, the cycle is definitely underway, but as always with me it seems, it's not straightforward.  :'(
Parameters are: NH3 0, NO2 2-5, NO2 0-5?
The white growth encircling the bogwood has returned, and been removed with a 60%w/c. The tank is still not totally clear. I have added the 1/3rd NH3 dose and replaced the baking soda for the KH, and we will see what happens.

I am starting to think that this "mature" bogwood from my 125L is one of the prime movers in this little saga. So, I have moved it to another position in the tank. If the white growth eventually follows it, out it comes! (for the time being, at least).

Will keep you posted!

Skittler

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 02:32:32 PM »
Hi,

Re the white growth you have around the bogwood - I had that for ~6-8 weeks after putting that into my tank and it often left a bubble-like film on the water surface. It didn't do my x-ray tetras any harm - it was put in at the same time as they were introduced to the tank. I scraped it off every few days with a sponge/scrubber but it kept returning. Finally, it eventually went, lessening by 6wks and then disappearing altogether after 8wks (although that coincided with the introduction of my cories who may well have kept it at bay by nibbling on it). Hope that's reassuring ie that, if the white growth is indeed coming from the bogwood, then there's hope that it might vanish in time.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
Thanks fcmf,

That is reassuring. When I first put the pre-soaked bogwood into my 125L, the tank had only been set up for two weeks. After a while, I did notice a white growth on one end of it, but it soon disappeared, and I didn't think too much of it at the time. It does sound as though your experience is the same thing, particularly with regard to the bubbles and slime on the surface. I suppose, at the end of the day, a piece of bogwood is a very slowly decomposing organic lump, which has all sorts of benefits for our fish and shrimps. Unfortunately, I imagine that an unplanned large colony of heterotrophic bacteria will love it too! Maybe it's best to add bogwood much later than I did, when the good bacteria have had more time to establish?

At the moment, the white growth has returned - it looks like a creeping "snowfall" on the black gravel, but as yet it is still in the same areas as yesterday. So, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »
Hello All,

Whilst siphoning out the white growth during the previous w/c, I decided to give the gravel a gentle stir to make removal easier. Result - the white patch is now much larger. I think I "pruned" and "replanted" it without  realising.  >:( As yet, it doesn't seem to be following the repositioned bogwood. So, w/c no.12 has just been done. The tank is still not absolutely clear, and I can still detect a slight oily film on the surface when the light is on. Parameters before the last w/c show that nitrite is being produced and eaten. There is 5ppm of nitrate, but this is my tap water level. There is still something else at work here, other than our friendly bacteria ..... but it still feels like progress (hopefully).  ;D

Skittler

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »
I'm really enjoying the continuing saga Skittler  :)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »
Hello Fiona,

Saga is indeed the word ....... I only wish I had the "foresight" ....sorry!. I keep looking at all those Red Cherries in a lot of LFS's ....... it does keep me going. One day ........ ;D

Skittler

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »
I'm cycling a tank just for my cherries too. I'm amazed how big the ones in the main tank have grown, 1 has to be 3cm at least and thats not including the antennae. I assure you they're well worth the hassle.

Umm this is a bit of a long shot but if you have eSHa 2000 and it is a bacterial bloom, a dose or 2 of that should kill it off and it wont harm the filter bacteria.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »
Hello Fiona,

That is an interesting thought. I have just sent eSHA an e-mail for their opinion.

Thanks,

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Be very careful of adding anything to a tank that has or will have inverts. The med can linger in a tank and kill shrimps and snails.
Having said that, if anyone has used eSHa 2000 with shrimps and they weren't harmed, please let us know.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
Thanks Sue,

I didn't think of that. I will await their reply.

Skittler

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
I found this on Esha's website in their FAQ section.

And I quote

"All eSHa products for fresh water are suitable for use in fresh water aquaria containing fresh water shrimps."

http://www.eshalabs.eu/english/faq.html

Hope that helps!

FC76

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless Cycling and Bacterial Bloom - I am confused (not unusual)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
by Gaynor
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post November 25, 2014, 07:15:16 AM
by Richard W
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: