Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fishless Cycle
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I am now 11 days in.

My readings last night: Ammonia 4ppm and Nitrites 5ppm. I'm scared! The last ammonia was put in 3 days ago. PH7.4

I did a 30% water change 2 days ago as well.

My plants are doing well, but a few are shedding leaves below and growing above, if that makes sense, but I do try and keep these cleaned.

Should I just do a big water change? I did about 50% 6 days ago.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fishless Cycle
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »
When you last added ammonia, did you test half an hour after adding it to check how much you'd added? In other words, I'm asking did you add 3 ppm or 4 or more ppm 3 days ago.

If you did add just 3 ppm, it could be the substrate that's increased the ammonia. I've just looked at your other posts and see you used ADA aqua soil. This is known to release ammonia into the water. And that ammonia is going to make fishless cycling more complicated because you have ammonia going into the tank from 2 sources.

Can you let me know exactly how much ammonia you have added over what timescale, and what your tank readings have been during the 11 days. Then we can see if it is the aqua soil, and if it is, work out the best way to proceed.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
Hi Sue,
For the first few days I didn't add anything and also didn't get any of the immediate ammonia spike they forecasted.

I added 4ppm first day, reading 30 mins later 3ppm.
3 days later and ammonia reading was 1ppm, nitrites <1ppm. Added 3ppm, reading 4ppm.
3 days later ammonia reading was 2ppm, nitrite 1ppm - added 2ppm, reading 4ppm
2 days later (last night) readings as shown, nothing added.

Above from memory as have my notes at home. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »
That does sound as though the aqua soil has started leaching ammonia. With the level of nitrite now in the tank ammonia should have dropped.

I would do a water change to get the ammonia reading down to 1 ppm. Test the ammonia level before you start and if it's still 4 ppm, aim for a 75% water change. if it's gone up, do a bigger volume.
Don't add any ammonia.
Half an hour after the water change (to allow the new water to mix in) test for ammonia and nitrite so you have a starting point.
Then test both after 24 hours and every 24 hours for the next few days. If by Saturday your ammonia level has stayed the same or even gone down, then add another 3 ppm dose of ammonia and continue the fishless cycle as per the method.
But if by Saturday you ammonia has gone up, you'll know it's the aqua soil. In this scenario, I would do a water change whenever the ammonia level reaches 3 ppm as you don't want it higher. The cycle might take longer if the soil is leaching ammonia as your nitrite might well get high enough to stall the cycle, but as you can't add fish until it stops leaching ammonia, you'd have to wait anyway  :-\

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
Sue, also meant to mention I was persuaded and ended using Tropica substrate with gravel as opposed ADA soil. Not so much influence re ammonia (?)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
That does make a difference.

But I'd still do what I suggest just in case. At least that will eliminate or otherwise the substrate and it'll only add a day or two to the cycle.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
Thanks Sue.....I will see what the readings are tonight and will do the change as necessary.

I wanted the plants, so these situations are actually fine, as I am learning so much along the way. Thanks to all here as without the insight and feedback it would have been hopeless.

On the plus side, the plants seem to be doing well, and I find the tank mesmerising anyway. I used the Interpet Tri Spec High Output LED light, and the app controller is now launched, so the sunrise and sunset settings are fascinating, mixing blue gentle breaking light before a gradual element of white and then red, up to the settings you make.

I am enjoying all aspects of this, although my wife is a bit bored that I keep talking about it and not much else. The kids just keep saying when are we getting fish!

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
morning Sue, some reasonable news, my readings last night - ammonia was 0ppm, nitrite 4ppm, nitrate 5ppm

I think that's alright? I added a 1/3 dose of ammonia, was this right?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
Did you do the water change or did the ammonia go down by itself?

Let me get this straight in my mind.
On Jan 10, you had readings of ammonia 4, nitrite 5. You added ammonia 2 days before that to get 4 ppm (and I have just realised you said that the ammonia was 2 ppm on that occasion so you added another 2. More about this later.)
And on 12 Jan you have 0 ammonia, 4 nitrite.

If the ammonia did drop by itself without a water change, wait another 2 days and test again on 14 Jan. If the ammonia is still zero, you have 2 zero ammonia readings 2 days apart so add the 1 ppm dose then, on 14 Jan and only if ammonia is zero again.

Re that 2 ppm dose ammonia you added a few days ago
I added 4ppm first day, reading 30 mins later 3ppm.
3 days later and ammonia reading was 1ppm, nitrites <1ppm. Added 3ppm, reading 4ppm.
3 days later ammonia reading was 2ppm, nitrite 1ppm - added 2ppm, reading 4ppm
2 days later (last night) readings as shown, nothing added.

Above from memory as have my notes at home. 
The method says that after adding the first dose of ammonia, test every 3 days and wait till ammonia drops below 0.75, and nitrite is above 2.0. So you shouldn't have added that 2 ppm ammonia, you should have waited till you had the test results on 13 Jan. This extra ammonia accounts for the readings

Sorry, I should have spotted that yesterday  :-[

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
Hi Sue, its weird I have read the cycle info so many times, sometimes its so clear and next I obviously get confused.

I added ammonia on the 8th - the Ammonia reading was 2pmm (I added a further 2ppm).

10th the reading was  Ammonia 4ppm and Nitrites 5ppm. did nothing.

11th - (no water change) - reading was Ammonia 0ppm and Nitrites 4ppm. I added 1pmm, so I should have waited until reading on the 13th checking for 0ppm ammonia before adding.

I will test on the 13th (2 days after adding, hoping for 0ppm ammonia, and then on the 15th hope for the same reading - if 0ppm ammonia and >1ppm nitrites, then add 1/3 dose. Just to check if the reading happened to be 0ppm ammonia and <1ppm, full dose.

Crikey it seems so easy, you must tear your hair out!   

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
I'll use my fishless cycle from last year as an example

Day 1 - added ammonia Stage #1
Day 4 - no change
Day 7 - no change
Day 10 - no change
Day 13 - no change
Day 16 - ammonia still same but just a hint of nitrite though still well below 0.25
Day 19 - same as day 16
Day 21 - ammonia still showing between 1 and 2 and nitrite the merest hint. Got frustrated and did a 100% water change then added ammonia to give a reading between 2 and 4 ppm.
Day 24 - ammonia between 1 and 2, nitrite 0. The ammonia dropped from 2 - 4 to 1 -2 but no idea where it went.
Day 26 - tested after 2 days because getting fed up. Ammonia 1 to 2. Nitrite merest hint.
Day 28 - ammonia 0.5 nitrite > 5 (off the top of the chart). Added ammonia to ~ 3ppm Stage #6
Day 30 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5
Day 32 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5. Zero ammonia on 2 test 2 days apart, added the one third dose of ammonia. Stage #8
Day 34 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5
Day 36 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5. Zero ammonia in 2 tests 2 day apart, added the one third dose of ammonia Stage #8 again
Day 38 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5
Day 40 - ammonia 0, nitrite >5. Zero ammonia on 2 tests 2 days apart, added a one third dose of ammonia. Stage #8 again
Day 42 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Added a 2 to 4 ppm dose ammonia Stage #10
Day 43 - ammonia 0.25, nitrite 1.0
Day 44 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Added 2 to 4 ppm ammonia. Stage #10 again Then power went off for 4 hours.
Day 45 - ammonia 0, nitrite 2 - was the cycle affected by the power cut?
Day 46 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Added ammonia to 2 to 4 ppm Stage #10 again
Day 47 - ammonia 0, nitrite between 0.5 and 1. Added ammonia to between 2 and 4 ppm Stage #10 yet again
Day 48 - ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Finally stage #14

Ignore the dose of ammonia added on day 21 - I only added that because I removed all the water from the tank and replaced it with all new water so I had to replace the ammonia I'd put in on day 1.

On day 28 ammonia had finally dropped to below 0.75 and nitrite was over 2.0 so I added the second 3 ppm dose of ammonia and continued testing every two days.

On day 30 I had zero ammonia and nitrite over 1 for the first time.
On day 32 I had zero ammonia and nitrite over 1 for the second time so I added  a 1 ppm dose of ammonia and continued testing every 2 days.

Zero ammonia and nitrite over 1 on days 34 and 36 so added another 1ppm dose of ammonia and continued testing every two days.

Zero ammonia and nitrite over 1 on days 38 and 40 so added another 1 ppm dose of ammonia. Continued testing every 2 days.

Day 42 finally had ammonia below 0.25 and nitrite below 1.0. Added a 3 ppm dose of ammonia and started testing every day.

Day 43 - both above zero. Test again next day.

Day 44 - both zero so added another 3 ppm dose of ammonia.

Unfortunately we then had a power cut in the afternoon of day 44 which seemed to affect the cycle, so it didn't follow a nice pattern from here, but you can see the pattern for the last few days of the cycle.
Just continue as my cycle from day 42 to day 44 until you get zero ammonia and zero nitrite 24 hours after adding 3 ppm ammonia.

Does this help  :)

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
Thanks Sue.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
Update....
2 consecutive readings (every other day) 0 ammonia, Nitrites still high. 
Added 1/3 dose, see what happens over next set of readings. Think I have got it now. Progress I n the cycle.
Have a lone snail, obviously from the plants. Tiny and as non purchased I don't suppose I'll know what species it is.

When do I consider cleaning filter, not in the cycle I guess (if I do it's in the aquarium water being removed)?

Thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:07 PM »
Your cycle sounds as though it is progressing nicely  :)

Unless you have plants that are losing bits and clogging the filter you shouldn't need to do a filter clean during cycling.

Is the snail a tiny flat spiral? That's a species of ramshorn. If it looks like this these are called (sometime incorrectly) pest snails, tadpole snails, pond snails and bladder snails.
Both types will breed readily in an aquarium, and being pests they'll survive the ammonia. The snails we want, like nerites, are killed by ammonia.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:47 PM »
Hi Sue, I'd say it is similar to that picture. It's very small. would you remove it ; kind of nice to have an animal living in the tank, even a pest.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »
It's up to you.

The problem is there's probably more than one. And they breed worse than rabbits. You can control them to some extent once you have fish by not overfeeding them - too much fishfood = snail population explosion.

However, much as some people hate snails they are an integral part of fish ecosystems. They are not a bad thing, just unsightly if there are too many of them.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
When I started keeping live plants, I found 3 snails (each of which I removed) and then one instance of a lone snail which I rehomed to a pond (as I assumed more would follow - this didn't happen, though). Sometimes I do wonder if I ought to have kept him. I can understand that desire to have something living in the tank, so, if I were you, I'd keep a hold of him and wait to see if others do appear or not.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:47 AM »
Hi FCMF, that's my thoughts, and I don't have the heart to dispose of him (her?) anyway.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
When I first had snails appear in my tank quite a few years ago I thought that snails were bad. We had no internet back then and all the rather old library books said snails carry parasites and had no place in an aquarium. So I did my best to get rid of them, failed, gave up and accepted they were there to stay.

Now I know that snails are not bad and I am quite happy to have them. I have both small ramshorns (some species grow to over 2 inches but you have to buy those!) and the pond/tadpole etc snails. If I see them on the glass during a water change, I do suck them up but there are so many more left behind.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
That's how I feel about my loan pest, he/she is staying.

Human nature - I have been so patient taking my time doing things properly. My tank, I think was ready 21st November, I was away in early December, wanted plants, so delayed to get this all done in the right order and now my cycle is (hopefully) probably 2/3 through;

I'm now screaming at it to finish, so I can get some fish. :vcross:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishless Cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
172 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 08:20:45 PM
by Sue
49 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 09:23:25 PM
by jesnon
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: