Fish-in Cycling

Author Topic: fish-in cycling  (Read 8133 times) 15 replies

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
fish-in cycling
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
While the site was down i had a wander around a couple of other forums (none grabbed me as much as this one!)

I noticed on them that there was a huge amount of crticism of anyone who considered or attempted a fish-in cycle.  One poor bloke got harrassed, slagged of and even abused and as far as i could tell he was brand new to fishkeeping so probably didnt even know you could cycle a tank....let alone do it without fish.

I can understand why people would have different views on this subject but rather than offend the poor bloke which would probably put him off that forum for life, you'd think the members would have been better explaining everything to him and helping to complete the cycle properly.

Offline Murf

• Fishy Member
Re: fish-in cycling
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:01:19 PM »
While the site was down I done the same so dont worry ...... I also met a few fishkeepers along the way and one told me to use the bottle of start and you can have the fish in within a few hours ..... this was from a veteran fishkeeper of 25+ years

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »
I noticed similar things on my travels.  It's the main reason I was so delighted with the return of our merry little bunch.  We are generally much nicer than the other rabbles out there!  We have our disagreements, but I have very rarely seen it descend into rudeness.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
I've seen other sites where the replies to newcomers are often 'you can't do that' or 'you have too many fish' or 'you can't keep this fish with that one'. Full stop, no attempt to explain why. It must be so off-putting to new members to the sites. And yes, fish-in cycling is a pet hate of so many on other forums.
I prefer the answer 'you can't do that because.... why not try this instead'  and 'you can't keep this fish with that one, have you thought about these fish instead'.

As for fish-in cycling, yes it can be done successfully. There is one school of thought that it is preferable to fishless as it grows all the micro-organisms a tank needs, albeit slowly. With fishless, we concentrate only on the two filter bacteria, but all the other micro-organisms still have to grow, and that takes time. With fish-in, they all grow together.

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
There is one school of thought that it is preferable to fishless as it grows all the micro-organisms a tank needs, albeit slowly. With fishless, we concentrate only on the two filter bacteria, but all the other micro-organisms still have to grow,

Interesting idea, i didn't think about that but i can see some logic in it.

I can understand people who are against fish-in cycling and they have some sensible reasons why but some of the comments were too much for me im sure these people wouldn't be as forward face to face. 

There is so much about this hobby that is down to opinion and so many things that can vary that it seems daft to attack anyone just for thinking differently to you, nothing wrong with a disagrement as long as its done right.

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »
Darrell, that is exactly what happened to me, everything I had done was wrong and it left me feeling awful.  Needless to say I never logged into that forum again.  I only signed up here last night, but I already feel welcome, and I know that if I have a problem I can now ask without being verbally abused.   :)

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
Hi Gaynor, I have asked lots of questions and they have always been welcomed and answered, it a wonder I haven't done Sue's head in the few weeks I've been on the forum  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »
I've never been an advocate of the "jump on someone so you scare them away" type of forum. Saying "you did WHAT!!!!" never helped anyone. I much prefer the approach of - there is a reason for your problem, this is the cause and this is what you can do to sort it out. Everyone on here is the same, we help people not jump down their throats.

We all have to learn. I've spent over 15 years learning, and still am. I even did my first fishless cycle earlier this year. I resisted the temptation to just steal some media from a mature tank just so I could see what it was like  ;D

Offline SteveS

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:46:24 AM »
Darrell, that is exactly what happened to me, everything I had done was wrong and it left me feeling awful.  Needless to say I never logged into that forum again.  I only signed up here last night, but I already feel welcome, and I know that if I have a problem I can now ask without being verbally abused.   :)

Whoa! I don't recall promising not to verbally abuse anyone!  ;)  Where's the fun in that?  ;D

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Morning Gaynor.....and welcome!

Glad you found us! No-one on here will be mean or unhelpful to you....no matter how many questions you ask.  After all, they put up with me and I know nothing ;)  We recently had someone not so pleasant join us, who was obviously in the wrong place and needed to be in one of the other forums, where rudeness and scathing comments are seemingly acceptable, if not the norm....but they soon returned back to where they belonged and civility reigned again...well, apart from Steve ;D ;D ;D

No seriously, there are some really knowledgable people on here and they kindly give lots of their time guiding and encouraging beginners through the maze of what you should or shouldn't do without making you feel cruel or stupid.  After all, we are all striving for the same thing, a beautiful looking tank full of clean, good water and lots of happy, healthy fish! :D

Have a good Sunday....

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Melanie

• Fish Fry
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
Hi Resa,
I have been “lurking” on the old forum – never posted and this is my first post on this new one.... I feel I need to say a word of defence towards the person you are still attacking although that person is no longer here and did not post a single post towards you. That person, I know, has been on the old forum, not “recently joined in and then returned where they belong”. That person was very-very knowledgeable and used to be very nice... Maybe the reason that person turned nasty and then left was that the people that person was trying to help responded with pretty much “sod off, I know better”... To be honest, I quite understand that frustration, and the fact that only two members from the old forum are still posting is worrying – maybe some very knowledgeable people are lost forever for this forum...
Gaynor, this is probably the best forum for the people new to the hobby, you will learn all the bsics from here – listen to Sue and Steve!

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
I also wonder what has happened to the old forum members. I know that one had a baby in Feb, so she won't have much time for fish forums. But some people just stopped posting  :-\ There were others who joined the forum with a different user name and I don't even know who they were on the old forum but they too only posted a couple of times.

Offline Melanie

• Fish Fry
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
I agree, Sue, very strange and worrying - I wish more of the "old forum folks" were present. Miss them somehow... :(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
I suspect that if the forum was down for some time they flocked elsewhere for fishy related things and found another site and may be unaware this site is back again. It is a shame as it would be great to have some more people about! I would also like to say... I'm not too sure what happened with the person who decided to leave, but when I first joined she was very helpful and friendly

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline SteveS

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »
Gaynor, this is probably the best forum for the people new to the hobby, you will learn all the bsics from here – listen to Sue and Steve!

Ooh! I like fan mail!  8)

... I'm not too sure what happened with the person who decided to leave, but when I first joined she was very helpful and friendly

It's very easy to post something that is somewhat ill-considered in an anonymous environment like this. I sometimes have to "bite my tongue", I'm not the most patient or diplomatic person generally; hard to believe I know!  Perhaps our ex-colleague thought that, as she was leaving, she could relax any self-censorship.

...but they soon returned back to where they belonged and civility reigned again...well, apart from Steve ;D ;D ;D

You're going on my list... again!  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
Ooo...scared! ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "fish-in cycling"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 03:31:18 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 11:43:26 AM
by Sue
30 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 06:41:50 PM
by dbaggie
56 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 09:54:16 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 11:37:16 AM
by Snoopy27
13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 06:47:08 AM
by LeakysLab

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: