Fish Dying Off In My Tank Over The Last 3 Months

Author Topic: Fish dying off in my tank over the last 3 months  (Read 12249 times) 39 replies

Offline rosaleen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fish dying off in my tank over the last 3 months
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
HI
Not sure if this is the right section to post my query, so apologies if it is.

In the last 3 months my fish have been slowly dying off,   by about 30% .

I've removed some of the dead which I found at the bottom of the tank. None showed any signs of disease, none were seen gasping  for air or had buoyancy problems.

I checked at my local MA, yesterday, who suggested possible bacterial problems, thinking I might have be over keen  with cleaning the media even though I've been doing it the same way for about 5 years. Is there are likely/possible alternative cause?

Anyway this morning I cleaned  the filter media(it was due). Instead  of replacing the oldest layer of filter floss, which I would normally do, because there was VERY little debris (it's an oversized filter for my tank capacity). due to the lower amount of waste material I cleaned it instead and put it back in.

Did I do the right thing?

I also bought some Aqua balls, wanting to avoid a chemical route,  and put them in the tank  the second best location ( unfortunately I read the instructions about the best location for them being IN the filter AFTER sorting out the filter -and setting it up  again). Can add an extra couple of balls to 'make up' for the balls not being in the effective place? Or not?

Many many thanks

Rosie

PS Before I really started looking at how there was some clear reduction in my number I bought  5 Albino Corys , mid March lost 2, and then stupidly with hindsight,  bought another 5 more recently. So 10 in total. I now have 2 of them left.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish dying off,
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Can I just get this straight in my mind.

Is it just cories that have died?
Are there any other fish in the tank that are unaffected?
Did you buy all the cories from the same shop?

A few of us, including me, have experienced this with pygmy and habrosus cories; we buy a shoal and they die one by one. I currently have just 2 pygmies and 2 habrosus left from shoals bought the way you bought yours (ie by some, some die so buy more, then more die)

The only thing we have been able to come up with is that these small cories would appear to do badly in shoals of less than 10 and in tanks with bigger fish. But albinos are bigger, which suggests something wrong with them, probably from when they were bought.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi rosaleen

Can you talk us through how you clean your filter media? It should be done in old tank water or dechlorinated tap water to avoid killing the beneficial bugs.

Furthermore, you should never recommend place more than 2/3 of your media at one time and aqua balls definitely do need to bring in the filter to work.

Hope that helps, I'm sure that between the members of this forum, we can sort this out for you  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »
Do you test your water parameters?

Offline rosaleen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »
Hi
Thanks for all your posts I really appreciate it. I'll try to cover all your questions.
Firstly cories,  I should have said the first five were peppered cories, definitely bought mid March
The second lot of five, were albino cories bought mid April I THINK. Both lots were bought at the same place.
They were not the only ones I have lost.........
6 neons in December  went down         2 now
6. Red  phantom tetras in December     1 now
6 shrimps December                            3 now
5 copper harlequins December               2 now.
1 rabbit snail OK
1 Bristlenose OK
6 penguin tetras December                   4 now.
3 Rummy nose  tetras December.           0 now

Cleaning the filter. I slways use the  old tank water straight after I've done a water change.
I always test the water when I do a water change. And to check my parameters were right this time  I'd had  the water tested at the MA the day before I did the clean.. They used the strip tests which I'd never seen before. Some slight variation but nothing untoward.
Sorry your advice about 2/3 of the media I couldn't quite understand. Typo error?
In the filter  there are 3 layers of filter floss.  I normally replace  the oldest layer, the dirtiest, with new floss. But because of the possibility of insufficient bacteria, I didn't this time. There was very little dirt on it.
The two other floss  layers,  the 2 different sponges  and the bio ceramics are cleaned in the old tank water.
Thanks for the info on the aqua balls.,  interestingly I'd put them in an old net by the intake strainer  and they'd disappeared / dissolved by the next day.
The thing which might be a problem is the temperature. IF I have gleaned the right info(different sites recommend different temps) The rabbit snail "needs warm water" 27degree upwards and the cory "likes cooler water" below 26."
I hadn't checked this before. I got the cories. And it doesn't explain the other deaths.
Thanks again for  your help. I hope I've covered all the points you made.
Rosie
This doesn't explain the other deaths

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:03:52 PM »
Ok I'm stumped...  :vcross:

Do you use a gravel vacuum?

Can you send a link to the 'aqua balls' - I'm not sure I've got the right product in mind...

Can you post some test results - others may be able to decipher theses for you...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:02 AM »
Do you know the pH and hardness of your water?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline rosaleen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Re: Fish dying off in my tank over the last 3 months
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Hi, apologies for the delay in getting back to you both.
 Yes I use a gravel vacuum
www.evolutionaqua.com is the website.  I am using the pure aquarium balls. This was recommended by the MA on the basis that the problem might be a bacterial one.
My API tests are.........
 Nitrite    0
Nitrate  5-20
Ammonia .25
PH          8.2

The strip test done by the MA showed (rightly or wrongly)
Ph 7.2-8
Nitrate 100
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 1.0.  As you can see  they do not match my API tests!  I'm not  sure how accurate they are meant to be.

Looking through the the records I  kept my parameters  have been roughly the same since at least 1914 (and that includes having a new test kit 2015)  the one exception is the nitrate which went up slowly last year but I brought it down again by putting  ceretopteris plants in the tank which have since been mostly eaten.
Re hardness, Sue on this forum has explained to me in the past that it and the KH are high because  I live in London, but I can't give you  an exact figure.
 Apologies again for not getting back to you straight away. I do appreciate your help
Rosie

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »
The nitrate test - do you make sure you shake bottle #2 very well before using it, then shake the test tube for 1 minute before starting the 5 minute timer? Failure to shake bottle #2 is the most common cause of inaccurate nitrate readings. It contains a reagent that settles out to the bottom of the bottle. All that shaking is necessary to redissolve this reagent. In fact, most people shale the bottle even more than the instructions say.

If the nitrate reading does prove to be high, it is an indication that you have too many fish or you aren't doing enough/big enough water changes or you are overfeeding the fish. High nitrate also means that other things we can't test for (eg plant hormones) are also high.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:35 PM »
Hi, you have an ammonia level of .25? This is the likely cause. In alkaline water it is very toxic. You might not see any signs but chronic ammonia poisoning is still a killer. You should have zero ammonia at all times.

What size is the tank, and what filter are you using?

Test strips are very innaccurate and can't be relied on at all. Neither can getting your tests done by a shop.

Shaking the nitrate #2 bottle isn't enough. This reagent precipitates out on the bottom of the bottle so you need to bang it hard on the table (or whatever) before you start shaking it. You need to do this every time.

:)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
I'd be slightly alarmed by the very high nitrate reading on the test-strip, in the sense that, using both liquid-based and paper-based test strips, I find the nitrate and nitrite readings very accurate on the strips, and tend to believe the nitrate one over the liquid-based testing kit - clearly, my arm isn't strong enough to do sufficient shaking required of the liquid-based test! For that reason, I'd definitely repeat that test, with plenty of shaking and banging, to try to get a more accurate reading. [I've never used a paper-based ammonia test, so can't comment on that.]

I'd also check your tap water rates, just to see what nitrate is coming out at - is it similar?

The best way to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0, and nitrates low, is frequent and larger water changes.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 11:28:32 PM »
Shaking the nitrate #2 bottle isn't enough. This reagent precipitates out on the bottom of the bottle so you need to bang it hard on the table (or whatever) before you start shaking it. You need to do this every time. :)

I noticed this as I had an issue squeezing solution 2 from the bottle, I had to shake the crap out of the bottle before I was happy.

Rosaleen the fact that you have ammonia showing in your test means there's something very amiss in a cycled tank. Can you account for every fish or have you cleaned the filter recently? If you over do it you can remove (inadvertently) some of the beneficial bacteria.

The more you tell us the more we can help.

If you've got ammonia in the water you need to do a water change to bring it to zero and then keep testing until you get a stable zero result for ammonia. (check nitrites too)

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »

The best way to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0, and nitrates low, is frequent and larger water changes.

The best way to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero is to have a filter with a fast enough flow rate, and enough media, for the bioload on the tank. With a suitable filter there should never be measurable ammonia or nitrite.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 11:49:09 PM »
With a suitable filter there should never be measurable ammonia or nitrite.

Very true, I wouldn't expect to find either in my established tanks. Rosaleen is a pretty new fish keeper so she's still learning her way and everybody expects hiccups. We just need to figure out exactly what caused her hiccup  :)

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 12:43:31 AM »
With a suitable filter there should never be measurable ammonia or nitrite.

Very true, I wouldn't expect to find either in my established tanks. Rosaleen is a pretty new fish keeper so she's still learning her way and everybody expects hiccups. We just need to figure out exactly what caused her hiccup  :)

The ammonia, probably. That's why we need to know details of her filter. :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »
Looking through the the records I  kept my parameters  have been roughly the same since at least 1914 (and that includes having a new test kit 2015)  ...

:yikes: You've been keeping fish for 102 years?!?!  :rotfl:  ;)

As others have said, if your Ammonia is anything other than 0, that's a problem that needs addressing.

However, with a tank that's been running for 2 years or so, it may simply be a matter of you over-cleaning and inadvertantly removing some of your denitrifying bacteria.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 08:27:46 AM »
As others have said, if your Ammonia is anything other than 0, that's a problem that needs addressing.

However, with a tank that's been running for 2 years or so, it may simply be a matter of you over-cleaning and inadvertantly removing some of your denitrifying bacteria.

Indeed. Are you cleaning your filter sponges in tank water (as you should) or are you cleaning them in tap water (which contains chlorine and will kill your denitrifying bacteria)?

Are you using a dechlorinator in your water change water?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Another possibility is changing the media. Manufacturers would have us change it every few months but that is not necessary with the exception of filter wool/floss which gets clogged quickly, and isn't a very good biomedium anyway.

There is another line of thought - some people have great difficulty distinguishing between the 0 and 0.25 colours with the API tester and probably other brands too. I know the shop's test strip gave 1.0 ammonia, but which is the real level, 0.25 or 1.0?

Rosaleen, could you ask someone else to perform an ammonia test using your tester, and particularly get them to read the result?

Offline rosaleen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »
Hello to, well everybody!
Slightly overwhelmed by all the queries I'll try and answer a few at a time if that Ok
Firstly Sue re nitrate testing I always do the appropriate shakings  and use a timer to make sure  i do them correctly and wait the five min.
I have had high nitrate before as I said ybut not now and the fish weren't dying off  then. I'm not convinced with the strip. I I will do an API test later today.
 I did buy a JBL easy test when I was at the MA but don't know which letters mean what,  if you see what I mean so haven't used it yet.
Will answer more queries later, sorry, busy morning
Rosie

Offline rosaleen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
Just wanted to add if anyone uses the JBL strips tests and can tell me how to decipher them I'd be VERY grateful

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish dying off in my tank over the last 3 months"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:26:11 PM
by Digs1923
8 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 05:00:13 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB
13 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 12:18:40 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
by Nye
9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2018, 09:06:58 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2021, 10:00:51 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: