Filter Sponges

Author Topic: Filter Sponges  (Read 7232 times) 1 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
Filter Sponges
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

I have a Juwel Rio 180 with the standard BioFlow 600 pump/filter system.

1) Are the Juwel filter medium any better than the much cheaper non-branded options that are designed for this filter?
2) Do you actually need a carbon filter?
3) Should you switch off the pump when changing or cleaning media?

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Filter Sponges
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
1) The Juwel media is no better but the sponges are cut to be an exact fit, which others might not be. If you buy them bigger and cut them down be sure to keep an old Juwel one as a template. The sponges need to be a snug fit because a gap will make the water take the easier option of going round the edge rather than through the sponge, defeating the whole object of a filter.

But the only part of the Juwel filter that needs replacing is the white pad. Before I removed the built in filter in my tank, I found the white pad got dirty very quickly and disintegrated on the second wash. Since this has to be changed so often, get a roll of filter wool (pond stuff works out cheaper) and cut it to shape.
In almost every other filter, the white pads go last in the water flow and are used for 'polishing' the water, ie removing tiny particles that pass through the rest of the media. In the Juwel filter the white pad is first; it is there to catch the big bits of debris so they don't get into the rest of the media. If it is changed frequently, it won't have time to grow many bacteria before it is thrown away.

The other filter media doesn't need replacing. I had coarse and fine blue sponges which should last for years; a green nitrate sponge which doesn't actually remove nitrate, so treat it like a blue sponge; a black carbon sponge which I never used; and the white pads which I changed every 2 weeks. My tank is pre-cirax, but that only needs changing when it starts to crumble.

2) You don't need a carbon filter. The use of carbon dates from waaaaay back to when the only filters in use were a box full of carbon granules with a layer of filter wool on top to keep it from falling out, all driven by an air pump. Water changes were thought to be bad; they were done a couple of times a year. The tank water got yellow over the months and the carbon removed the yellow colour. No-one knew about filter bacteria back then.
Now that we have our modern filters with their bio-media and know we need to do weekly water changes, the only use for carbon is to remove the brown colour coming out of bogwood (though that's for our benefit, the fish will like it), to remove medication after treatment has finished and to remove any odd smell in the tank.
I haven't used carbon since I found out about this 10 years ago, and my fish are fine. Keep a carbon sponge or tub of carbon granules in the cupboard in case you ever have to medicate but don't bother using it in the filter full time.
Since the carbon sponge in the Juwel filter is only thin, just leave a gap where it fits so you can put one in if needed.

3) I turn them off, but then I clean my filter media during a water change so I have some old tank water ready. With internal filters, they have to be turned off during a water change as they get damaged if the impeller runs out of the water. I think they've changed the design of the Juwel filter since I got mine - I had no option but turn it off as I had to take the pump off to get to the media.
As for turning it off to change the media - if you really do need to change the media, turn it off then as well. But the blue and green sponges and cirax don't need changing. Ignore what Juwel says. If you never buy new media, they don't make as much money. That's the only reason they tell you to change it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter Sponges"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 08:27:14 AM
by sjames
5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 05:00:40 PM
by rosaleen
2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post November 12, 2022, 01:52:51 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: