Filter Pump For Juwel Rio 180

Author Topic: Filter pump for juwel rio 180  (Read 14651 times) 5 replies

Offline lindseyvic

Filter pump for juwel rio 180
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,
Tanks background: Been running my tank for about 6 months now, it was second hand when i got it and has been running for about 7 years all told. Currently semi planted with a piece of bogwood/hidey tube for plecos.
Currently battling high nitrates (previous owners - old tank syndrome?!) but fish are dealing with it, as they have done for years. Just keep persevering with water changes etc - need to get rid of one of my plecos tbh.
(any takers?!)

Anyhoo, onto my reason for posting, noticed a split in the cable housing of my current pump so went to LFS to buy a new pump, got what i though was correct one, looked exactly the same on the box, seemed to indicate it was for my filter, but when i came to putting it in my tank i found it was a 400L/H pump rather than the 600L/H i'd just taken out.  :o
Will my tank cope with this smaller flow filter pump or do i need to get the larger one, or does anyone have any suggestions for improvements i could make (if im going to change it i might as well make it better if i can)
Thanks in advance
Lindsey

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Neon Tetra (6) - Golden Pencilfish (5) - Kribensis (2) - Honey Gourami (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Peacock Goby (2) - Platy (1) - Cherry Barb (3) - Angelfish (1) - Lemon Tetra (1) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Madagascan Rainbowfish (3) - Kribensis (4) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (3) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Glass Catfish (6) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (4) - Neon Tetra (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Filter pump for juwel rio 180
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »
You don't really give enough information here but...  I see from your other post that you have a Juwell 180.  You should be looking for a filter that can turn over between 5 and 10 times the capacity of your tank.  For planted tanks, you should be aiming at the higher end.  So for a 180 litre tank, your filter should be able to deliver between 900 and 1800 litres per hour.  As you can see, even your 600l/h pump was inadequate.

Beware when buying filters (or pumps).  They all have ratings that are measured empty of media and at a head of 0m.  That is they are not having to lift the water.  Since the most common place for an external filter is underneath the tank, this will reduce it's capacity considerably.

High nitrates are caused by two things.  Either too few water changes (or too small a change) or a high level of nitrates in your tap water.  You need to know the level of nitrates in your tap water.  Even with the most conscientious water change regime, you cannot get below this value unless you plant a lot of quick growing plants.  You should be aiming for tap water level plus about 20-25 as your limit.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »
Having a Juwel Rio myself, I know that Juwel seem to think that a slower flow rater is better for a filter as the water hangs around longer in the media which gives the bacteria more chance to get the ammonia and nitrite. But 400 litre/hour is a bit too slow for a 180 litre tank.

I would add two further things as causes for high nitrate - having too many fish and feeding too much.  Uneaten fishfood is broken down to ammonia which is then processed exactly the same way as fish waste, resulting in ammonia being made. And with an overstocked tank you have too many fish all making ammonia which ends up as nitrate.

The usual concensus about Juwel filters, with the correct pump, is that they cope well with a light stocking and non-messy fish. Plecs are messy fish. And you say you have more than one.
Do you know what kind of plecs they are? Some stay small enough for a 180 litre tank, others get way too big. If your plecs are common, sailfin or gibbiceps plecs, you need to rehome all of them.
Could you list all the fish you have in the tank and how much/often you do a water change,  then we can see if the nitrate problem is due to overstocking or insufficient water changes.

And back to your filter pump problem - you could always get another filter! Either a second small internal (though that would clutter your tank with boxes) or an external, and remove the built in Juwel filter. I removed the Juwel filter in my Rio 125 and replaced it with a different make. If you get a second internal, chopping up a bit of Juwel sponge and putting it inside the new one would help grow bacteria in that. With an external, just put all the Juwel media into it and fill the spaces with the media that comes with the external.

Offline lindseyvic

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Hi Steve, Hi Sue,

Thanks for your replies,
Been and tested my tank and tap water with API kit and got 20ppm for tap and about 40 for tank (did 25% change yesterday) These rise to around 60ish before a clean out, so i probably am overstocked (sooo missed that community creator! It was a godsend for us newbies! Will be glad when its back online the new one looks v.good)

In terms of loading i have the following in the tank:
2 x plecos - i think they are stunted L022s, both are about 7years old and both about 20-25cm. I am looking to get rid of one though, they are messy fish as you said Sue!
1x albino cory (also about 6/7yrs old)
1xsmall suckermouth catfish (not sure what he is, have tried to get him ID'd and had answers ranging from a otocinclus to a type of garra!) he's 8cm long.
5xcherry barbs
4x neons
3x lemon tetra
2x platys
1 dwarf gourami
3 male guppies
5x penguin tetra.
Tank is also fairly well planted - 1xanubias, 1xcrypt, 1xhygrophilia, 2x broadleaf plants, few bunchs of vallis, a mossball, and java fern on wood.

Will probably look at getting another filter pump for the tank in that case, figured 400L/H would be too small, but had to put it in as I didn't want to risk electrocuting my fish by using my old one!

Have asked LFS about rehoming my pleco but they didn't want to know :( they already had a big one in so didn't want another. Will try putting him in the local paper.

Thanks again for your help
Lindsey

Cherry Barb (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (6) - Neon Tetra (6) - Golden Pencilfish (5) - Kribensis (2) - Honey Gourami (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Peacock Goby (2) - Platy (1) - Cherry Barb (3) - Angelfish (1) - Lemon Tetra (1) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Madagascan Rainbowfish (3) - Kribensis (4) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Swordtail (male) (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (3) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Glass Catfish (6) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (4) - Neon Tetra (3) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »
Leaving out the plecs and the suckermouth catfish for now the rest of the fish should not be a problem with the built in filter (with the right pump). Using the unreliable 1 inch of fish per gallon, you come out at max stocking, though as most of those fish are not big waste producers you are realistically understocked - without the three fish I named!
The L022 plecs grow to 12 inches/30cm when not stunted (checked on planet catfish) so even one of them will make a serious dent in your stocking level. I wouldn't be surprised if they are what's pushing up your nitrate.
Have you tried aquarist classifieds (google it  :) )? You might find someone on there who'll take one of them.

As for the suckermouth, look up chinese algae eater, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri. There is a gold version as well as the standard grey one. These are commonly sold as algae eaters and are often labelled as sucking loaches. The problem is they grow to 28cm and as they mature they stop eating alage and develop a taste for the slime coat of other fish. If it does turn out to be one, I would get rid of it asap.

In itself, a nitrate of 60 is not a problem. Nitrate only becomes a problem to the fish in the hundreds (except for a few nitrate sensitive species). But once it passes the tap + 20 level just before a water change, it does indicate something not right in the tank. In your case, I personally think the 'something not right' is the two plecs.
To get rid of seroius amounts of nitrate, the plants need to be jungle-like  ;D

Offline lindseyvic

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
Hi Sue,
Thanks, will look for those classifieds. The little catfish dude isn't a CAE, already checked, he has a much flatter body, no stripe, and can change colour depending where he is sat, but thanks for checking. Tank isn't quite jungle status yet but would love it to be!
;D

Will see about moving on my plecos, and upgrading my filter pump, should be good then!
Thanks again Sue

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter pump for juwel rio 180"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 05:51:50 PM
by Don
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 03:48:34 PM
by Sanjo
8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 12:29:49 PM
by Diz1
4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 08:13:59 AM
by BT Bob
5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2018, 10:22:05 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 09:18:45 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: