Filter Air Line

Author Topic: Filter air line  (Read 7312 times) 18 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Filter air line
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks,

I have changed the filter on my Shrimp tank to a slightly more powerful one now as the oil slick I was soaking up from the surface of the water every evening was beginning to get tiresome!!!

I have modified the flow a bit as it was, I felt far to strong, by sticking a bit of filter foam across the front of the outlet nozzle. This filter has an air line attached to it which I shut with the little valve thingy but I was getting water back flow up into the air line so I tried opening it fully but I still get back flow.

Does this back flow matter?  I know you need a non-return valve for things like air pumps but as as this is basically just dripping back into the tank is it something I should seek to remedy??

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Filter air line
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:29:18 AM »
Hey FC. What's causing the oil slick? I never had any issues with the hikari shrimp food...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:33:56 AM »
Hi Cod,

As far as I can work out its oil from the flaked fish food (I give them a bit of this as well as the shrimp food) combined with lack of surface agitation.

The original filter I had in the tank was not very strong and had a waterfall effect, rather than a jet of water and even with modifications was not causing enough surface agitation to break up the film.

The filter I have now put in is a bit stronger and has a jet and gives good surface agitation so has broken up the film but now I have the back flow in the air tube.

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
The air tube is a venturi. It is designed to suck air in and create bubbles. Several filters I've had over the years have had venturis; some of them worked fine, some didn't work at all - in the latter case the tubing was so limp the top end kept falling in the water, and obviously it can't suck air in from there  ;D   I don't use venturis at all now I just remove them from the filter.

What filter do you have then I can see if it is actually a venturi and if it is removable.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
I've had an oily film on my tank in the past when I've had low fish stock. I think it was due to overfeeding, and was from the excess food. Perhaps you don't need to add the extra food, as it seems as though it isn't being eaten.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
Hi,

I've had a good look on line for the filter and it doesn't exists!!!  It came with my 19 litre PAH tank and has no manufacturers name on it and the closest thing to it I can find is this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidom-Aquarium-Internal-Filter-Filtration/dp/B00BCLD21U

My filter is 250 l/ph and has no spray bar but is pretty much the same otherwise.

I have removed the Venturi as I found a good article on how they work and what they actually do and I have decided I don't want increased aeration in my flow, just more surface agitation which it does without it. The back flow, I've decided, was caused by the fact that I have filter wool across the water outlet so it thinks it's blocked.

http://hopealexander.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Use-A-Venturi

Unless someone tells me I need the Venturi to prevent damaging the filter I'll run it without.

With regard to the feeding, I'm still getting used to how much to feed the shrimps and they do seem to be cleaning up everything I give them, bearing in mind they are sharing the tank with about four snails.

Thanks folks.

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »
Hi Fishcake,
Just for my future reference, what's your maintenance going to be for your shrimpery?
How much water do you plan to change per week? Are you going to 'hoover' the substrate when you do your weekly maintenance and if so, how do you avoid hoovering up and damaging the shrimp?

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
That's a good question and one I am still deciding on the answer too!!!

I think I shall do 25-30% water changes, which on a 21 litre tank isn't going to be much and I shall try tying muslin, like you use to make jam, over the end of the siphon and be ready to stop my flow if anyone gets stuck to the end!!!

I'll let you know how I get on!!

Incidentally, if anyone has any suggestions or sees anything wrong with my proposed idea, speak now, or forever hold your peace!!!!

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 12:17:37 AM »
Yes, please let me know. It's just that I kind of think (Only think, mind you) I know what I'm doing with my community tank maintenance, but I don't have anything as small as shrimp in there. I wonder if it wouldn't be best to have an open- ended syphon with a large enough open end (with no covering) that would be wide enough to suck up any shrimp undamaged. At least that way you could fish them out of your bucket unharmed and put them back in the tank. It would just mean that you would need to have a very careful look for any renegades that had managed to get themselves sucked up during the vacuuming of the substrate, but they shouldn't be harmed?

As ever, my logic is probably questionable, so please feel free to shoot me down in flames!!

Diz

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:17:08 AM »
Can't help with fishcake's original post (haven't got a living thing in the tank yet- not if you exclude plants)
but as an observation on Diz's last post, I think (Sue?) said she sometimes vacuums up shrimp and puts them back.
I bought two new buckets for my fish tank maintenance one black and one orange from B & Q. 
I did that on the basis that if I use the lighter coloured one for siphoning into I would be able to spot shrimp of whatever against the colour of the surface, which I wouldn't be able to do very easily in the black bucket.
Well that's the theory.
Of course, I'll have to be sure not to get the orange shrimp or I'll be in trouble.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:40:57 AM »
Most of the filters I have bought come with the venturi tube or spray bar choice, I always use the spray bar.

For siphoning, it's easy to balance a standard aquarium net across the top of a bucket and siphon the water through it, any shrimp sucked up will be caught in the net.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
Good idea RichardW, and do you think changing around 30% is about right. I think fishcake is right, I normally do 30-40% per week for my big 180 litre tank.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
Thank Richard,

That's a good idea about siphoning through the net, I may try that then!!

I had thought about getting a spray bar so I'll have a look and see what I can get to fit the filter!

Thanks

FC76

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
I'm known for my advocacy of smaller and fewer water changes, I change about 20% every 4 or 5 weeks. I do have heavily planted tanks though.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »
Not sure I'm brave enough for that and the tank won't have that many plants in it. I'll go for 30% initially and see how I get on. Think I'll be setting up and getting my shrimp from a local breeder sometime this week. Going for red cherry shrimp initially, but might try crystal reds once I'm a bit more confident :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »
I don't use a net to catch the siphon water in as I am notoriously clumsy and would only knock the net complete with shrimps off the bucket and all over the floor. As I have snails and wood in the same tank, there is a lot of large bits of snail poo so I wouldn't find the baby shrimps in a net with all the mess  :sick:

It is easy to see adult or even juvenile shrimps in a bucket if you use a light coloured one (grey in my case) but you can't see the transparent babies. I empty the bucket with a jug and check every jugful before throwing it away. Tiny babies can be sucked out using a medicine pipette with the end cut off to make the hole wider. Larger shrimp have to be poured back in. When I find shrimp in the jug, I empty the water into a cheesecake tub (individual portion size) as it's easier to catch the babies and I can suck out the muck before pouring the larger ones back in.
I know this sounds obsessive but I can't bear the thought of emptying tiny shrimp down the drain.

Natalia, who used to be a member and helped me greatly with my shrimps a few years ago, said that shrimp poo grows 'things' on it which are very nutritious for shrimps, so don't worry about too much cleaning. Smaller water changes are better for shrimps, so if you find you need to do big water changes, do 2 smaller ones a week instead.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
Thanks Sue, so in a shrimp only tank, how much water would you change per week and how often would you hoover the substrate, given your comments about nutritious shrimp poo and smaller water changes (it will be a 23 litre tank I'm using).  ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »
I am going to link to a couple of old threads, my learning curve with shrimps. There is quite a lot of info in them.

The first started out as a plant topic and morphed into a shrimp one, so I started the second topic.

First thread
Second thread

Diz, in 23 litres I would think of changing a total of 10 litres a week. If you split that into 2, 7 litres, twice a week should be more than enough for just shrimps. Probably 5 litres twice a week would be sufficient.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »
Thanks again Sue, these threads are brilliant. Just what I needed! I've just got in touch with the breeder and he's coming out tomorrow with 25 red cherries. Very excited!! :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter air line"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 12:45:01 PM
by wooders
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 01:55:56 PM
by Sanjo
2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2015, 05:38:34 PM
by Marineboy
10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2020, 03:08:07 PM
by jaypeecee
2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 07:22:03 PM
by animal_freeride

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: