Fast Cycling?

Author Topic: Fast cycling?  (Read 3409 times) 3 replies

Offline pesce

Fast cycling?
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone.
I am new to fish keeping and set up my first tropical 60l tank over 3 weeks ago and it seems to have cycled in 2 weeks? I know that although that can happen it's not the norm so I am slightly unsure. Is there anything I should be doing as a precaution?

16th oct: Set up my tank and added a bag of water that the local aquarium kindly gave me.
19th oct: My first little guppy's went in.
21st oct: Test kit arrived. First test showed
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite     5.0ppm
Nitrate    40ppm

The next day the ammonia spiked.
2 days later the ammonia had calmed and the nitrates spiked.
Over the next week the results stayed relatively high whilst slightly reducing.

4th nov: Tested the water
Ammonia 0
Nitrite     0
Nitrate   10ppm

Ive tested the water daily since then, a week later and the results have stayed the same.

What do you all think? Am I safe?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to put some more fish in but only if the waters safe. 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cardinal Tetra (8) - Guppy (male) (1) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Platy (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fast cycling?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
With some nitrite testers the reading can show zero if the actual level is off the top of the scale. Can I suggest you dilute a sample of tank water about 1 in 10 and retest. If it's still zero then you are OK, but if it shows a reading other than zero, the tank water has a nitrite level so high the tester can't cope.

Your nitrate was lower on day 4 than the first day. If you have filter bacteria making nitrate it should be higher. Have you been doing water changes as they would lower it? And on the subject of nitrate, if yours is a liquid reagent test kit, all brands need one bottle to be shaken very well each time you use it - are you shaking it?

One thing that does worry me is that you say your levels remained high then reduced. You should have been doing a water change whenever you had a reading for ammonia and/or nitrite above 0.25. Levels higher than this can kill fish outright and weaken their imune systems if they survive making them more prone to disease.

One thing I'm curious about - what exactly was in the bag of water the shop gave you? Because the filter bacteria don't live free floating in the water, old tank water is virtually uselss for cycling. But did they add something to the water?

Offline pesce

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
Thank you for the response.

On your advice I tested the water again diluted and (thankfully) the results were the same.
Ammonia and nitrites at zero and the nitrates between 10 and 20ppm.
I use the API freshwater test kit. It said in the instructions about the bottle shaking so I always make sure i do it. I even set a stop watch so I know for sure I've done it long enough.

I haven't done any water changes since I started the other week. I was really worried when the results came up so high but a few people said not to change the water as the bacteria was all part of the cycling process.

The water that the aquarium gave me was just a bag from one of their fish tanks. Im not sure if this would have any effect on cycling but I read somewhere that it would help.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cardinal Tetra (8) - Guppy (male) (1) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Platy (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »
You'll find it is a common belief that the filter won't cycle unless the levels are high. This is not true. In fact water changes are regarded as necessary when there are fish in the tank and the levels are high. The bacteria don't live in the water, they grow tightly bound to surfaces so changing water won't stop them growing, unless you don't add dechlorinator in which case the chlorine in the new water could kill them. And they don't need high levels to get them to grow. Our test kits can't measure trace amounts, and trace amounts are enough to get the bacteria to multiply. One way to look at is - it doesn't matter if the bacteria are ankle deep or over their heads in food, so long as there is even a tiny bit more food than the ones already there can eat, they'll multiply.

Keep an eye on your levels for another week, and if ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, the filter will be cycled. But you'll only have enough bacteria to eat the waste from the fish you have now. When you add more fish, there will be more waste and you'll have to grow more bacteria to deal with this extra waste. As a general rule of thumb, it is safe to add in one go up to one third of the amount of fish already there. Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels after you add new fish, and hopefully they will stay at zero. If not, do water changes to get them to zero. When you've had a week of zero, you can get more fish. Again it's a third of the the total fish (the first ones plus the last additions). Keep on like this, a few at a time, till you have all your fish.

Have you found the community creator on this site? It is a useful tool for working out how many fish you can have, though it is a bit overgenerous so don't get as many fish as it says you can have. You'll find the CC in the fish profiles (menu at top of page). Just click on a ny fish and you'll find the CC at the bottom of the page. Fill in your tank details and add fish. You do have to register separately from the forum to save your data.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fast cycling?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 02:50:51 PM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 11:37:16 AM
by Snoopy27
11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2016, 09:53:30 AM
by Littlefish
19 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 05:52:59 PM
by barneyadi
16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2021, 04:40:19 PM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2021, 09:43:54 PM
by barneyadi
2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:54:25 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: