Discus Preperation

Author Topic: Discus Preperation  (Read 4877 times) 6 replies

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
Discus Preperation
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As I've discussed in other peoples threads (sorry), I am preparing for Discus next month hopefully. I currently still have;

5 neon tetras
4 rummy nosed tetras
8 thread fin rainbows
1 horse faced loach
12ish guppys plus 8 new borns

but I am planning on removing all these except my horse face before adding 6 young Discus that will be around 3 1/2" (including tail). I've just thought about checking on the community creator but my question is; how similar will the 2 bio loads be? Will the biological filter notice much of a change and more importantly be able to handle any difference without the Discus being effected?

I have been trying to slightly overfeed my current stock in an attempt to prepare my filter; is that a good idea?

All thoughts appreciated as always.

Stuart

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Discus Preperation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
This is a tricky one. All the fish you have are torpedo shaped; discus are not. You can't go by the length (the standard way of calculating stocking levels). How big will the discus be when you buy them - babies, juveniles or adults?
You could try to estimate the mass, how much do your current fish weigh compared to the weight of the discus? Though even that is not perfect as 10 grams of discus will have a lighter bioload than 10 grams of assorted tetras and guppies.

Overfeeding your current stock should grow more filter bacteria. I think what I'd do in your situation is overfeed as you have been doing, then as soon as the other fish are gone and the discus in start to underfeed. Make sure you get out any uneaten food before getting the discus, maybe do a huge water change and clean a couple of days before. Thorough cleaning, especially on gravel, can kick up sediment which can cause ammonia/nitrite spikes, so doing it a couple of days early will allow the tank chance to settle down again.
And you'll already know about testing several times a day once you have the discus  ;D

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
The Discus at that size will be as young as I have seen them sold.

I have checked on the community creator and according to that I am at 37% stocking levels at the moment and with 6 Discus the size I have stated I would be at 38% (with my Horse Face Loach. Having said that, the community creator suggests I can keep 12 discus with my Horse Face Loach and still stay below 70% stocking levels. That is way above what even I know is suitable for my 4' tank.

Does the community creator take into account bio mass? Even if it is over generous (which we all know it is) It should be at least consistent in it's over generosity regardless of fish size/shape.

Thanks for your input again Sue.

Stuart.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
From what Peter, the owner, has said about the CC, it does take bioload into account. That's why it allows you to have more low-bioload fish than the 1" per gall guideline allows. However, Peter is not infallible and there could well be some errors in the CC which is why I always err on the side of caution.

Have you noticed that the new CC has slightly lower stocking guidelines than the old CC? Peter did respond to criticism when he set up the new forum.

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »
I assumed it did take bio load into account.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig and I apologise if it came over that way. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to set up the CC and create all the rules.

I have tested my water this morning. I did PH and high PH, I always have had trouble getting an accurate reading because I seem to be too high for PH but too low for high PH. Again this morning the PH was blue (7.6) but the high PH was a light brown (7.4.)

I have an 'API PH down' that I have used this afternoon. I have now put about 20ml in, at 5ml intervals, but the reading on the PH hasn't changed. It is in date so either it isn't working or my PH was higher than I thought. My water, carbonate hardness reading, was quite low last weekend so that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps I'll get my own carbonate hardness test as discussed elsewhere.

Stuart.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
I have tested my water this morning. I did PH and high PH, I always have had trouble getting an accurate reading because I seem to be too high for PH but too low for high PH. Again this morning the PH was blue (7.6) but the high PH was a light brown (7.4.)

I had exactly the same trouble as this.... so I ended up buying a Nutrafin wide-range pH tester which showed my pH to be a tad under 7.5. It only goes up in steps of 0.5 but I found it easy enough to work with. My KH is reasonably high so my water is bullet-proof, but I wanted to know what it was and didn't trust the API kit on this test.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
Don't worry Stuart, I realised you weren't having a dig. I wondered if you knew that Peter has changed the CC in the new version after people complained it was overgenerous.

That's where my pH sits, in the overlap between the two testers with the API kit. Since the odd point or two doesn't make very much difference, I just call my pH the mid value of the overlap.

I would be very wary of using pH altering chmicals. I can't find out exactly what's in that one (except sulphuric acid as that's on the hazard sheet) but some of these products contain phosphate which will do terrible things for algae. Maybe email the company and ask exactly what's there.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Discus Preperation"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2014, 06:50:30 AM
by biffster
1 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 02:11:34 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 11:32:18 AM
by Aquamaid
5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 07:39:51 PM
by Bosco
3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2016, 02:38:12 PM
by Barzers
3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2016, 06:28:30 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2017, 08:18:30 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: