Ding! Ding! Cycling Round Two

Author Topic: Ding! Ding! cycling round two  (Read 12314 times) 39 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Ding! Ding! cycling round two
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well ive filled my new 260L with water today, and figured out the external filter (just hope them hoses are on tight)  *blink* it filled up great no soil or sand storms, quite a clear fill, just letting it all settle and warm up. Have some old and new bogwood (or such) in it, so i think i may have some colouration, but i don't mind some, and i'm loving the sound of the spray bar. I bought some new bio media to put in the filter and it came with some gel balls with bacteria in them, so along with some old sponge media i'm hoping this fishless cycle wont be as traumatic as the first lol at least i know what to expect this time. So tomorrow all being well i will start my first Ammonia dose

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Ding! Ding! cycling round two
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
Good luck  8)

It doesn't seem long since I started cycling my 2nd tank and I've already got fish in it. I tested the water again this morning and it's still a lovely yellow and blue on the ammonia and nitrite tests  ;D

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
AM

What do you think of that biomedia stuff? It looks like it was made be the same machines that make Cheesey Wotsits!

I'm thinking of getting some for my Fluval 306 filters for my 240L Chrimbo present.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
Hehe NM, more chalky wotsits, i was impressed with Pondguru reconfiguring an external filter on youtube to make it more efficient,  so decided to do the same, and bought the bio ultra. I will be interested to see how many days this takes, another 50 maybe  :yikes: Glad your tank is up and running Gav, isn't it great to get that colour combination every time  ;D

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »
I filled tank yesterday and was about to start my testing, but realised i didn't add any dechlorinator, so ive added it now, not sure how long to wait to test now? Oh and it came with 200w heater, not sure that will do the job of getting temp high enough for cycling 220-40 L of water?, ive got it on 32 but water is at 23c after 12 hours

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
Dechlorinator shouldn't affect the test results, but waiting half an hour-ish will allow the filter to mix the dechlorinator in thoroughly if you prefer to wait.

The usual heater guidleline is 1 watt per litre, so 200 w maybe a tad on the small side.
How cold was the water when you put it in? If it was very cold water (tap water is almost fridge temps at this time of year) it will take quite a few hours to get to the setting on the heater.
If you are worried, you could test it on a bucket of water - but give it time to cool down before taking it out of the tank. There is a risk it could shatter if taken out of the water while it is hot.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
The heater you need also depends on your rom temperature. There's a big difference between a heated room and an unheated one. You could also try covering the tank with a blanket or something, a great deal of heat is lost through the glass and it will warm up quicker if it is covered. I assume you have checked the heater is actually still on when the temperature is at 23 but you have set it to 32, i.e. the light is always on. If not, the thermostat could be faulty.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
Yes light is on constantly, and temp is rising very slowly, i will leave it over night and if not up to 30c tomorrow may add another heater. If you have two heaters in the tank and want temp of 30c do you set both for 30 or what combination? will leave water test and Ammonia for tomorrow also : )

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
Set both for 30.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
Thanks Richard, looks like this one is still rising and up 10 degrees  :)

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 02:30:55 AM »
I'm going to put some insulation at the back of my 240L Roma when I get it. I've got quite a bit of radiator backing which will be just perfect. Any insulation will help.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 09:26:33 AM »
Just a thought Richard, the first heater seems to only heat tank up to 25c and then turns off, so now ive put second heater in and set it for 30c, first heater is off so is it second heater doing all the work on it's own now?
Hi NM i have an arty farty idea to do a rock type backing on my tank somehow with a Neoprene foam yoga/camping mat, that would be good insulation too  :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
It's likely that the thermostat is faulty on the first heater, if it is set to 30 it shouldn't turn off below 30!

Insulation is very useful. All of my tanks have black painted rear wall and so whatever I put on there doesn't show through. On the tanks in unheated rooms, I've put a double layer of bubble wrap on the backs. Can't be seen but helps retain heat and hence save electricity.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »
Bubble wrap eh, good idea, thanks Richard  :) Temps going up as we speak, ive added a couple of kettles full of boiling water and temp up to 27 now.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
One of the best makes is Eheim Jager.

It is quite common for heater thermostats to be inaccurate. The simplest way to set any heater is by turning the dial to whatever setting gets the water to the temp you want.
The chap who replaced the thermostat on my oven a couple of years ago said I'd have to learn to cook all over again as no two oven thermostats reach the same temp on the same setting.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »
I have the Eheim heaters, they are good, but not the easiest to calibrate, i'm running the two for now, till i get required heat, nearly there lol

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
Ok guys, how am i doing this time around, it's Day 11 of fishless cycle,
so far iv'e had readings of 
Day 7 Ammo= 0.50   Nitrite = 0
Day 9  added 4ml ammonia so   Ammo = 2ppm   Nitrite = 0.25
Day 11 today. Ammo = 0.25 (could be 0)  Nitrite = 1.0
should i leave it a day or two and see if nitrite goes up, or do i need to add any more ammonia?
Oh and tank smells like old socks, don't know if it's the pond soil or the bogwood in all that heat lol

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
Since your ammonia is zero (or as near as makes no difference) and the nitrite is exactly 1.0 - ie not under or over 1.0 - add one third of the full dose of ammonia. You are on the boundary between steps 9 and 10 in my method.
If you are adding 4ml for the full dose, add 11/3 ml today. Test again on day 13. Two possibilities for the day 13 tests:

1) In those tests, if the ammonia is zero and nitrite is below 1.0, add the full dose and test after 24 hours. If you then have both at zero, the cycle has finished. But if those tests show either or both above zero, ask what to do next or this post will get very confusing.

2) in the day 13 tests, if the ammonia is zero but nitrite is not zero, add another third-of-the-full dose of ammonia and test again next day.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
Thanks Sue, things are certainly moving a bit quicker this time  :)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ding! Ding! cycling round two"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 09:46:39 AM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
by Gaynor
Cycling

Started by ColB « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

24 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 11:46:09 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 07:34:43 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2013, 04:24:21 PM
by dbaggie
4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 06:45:59 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 01:00:45 PM
by Kirstos

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: