Author Topic: Cycling tank - the restart  (Read 7081 times) 91 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cycling tank - the restart
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm not sure what is the best option.

The safest would be a big water change and add another 3 ppm ammonia - but that would take a fair bit of time and effort, and you could end up stuck at the same point again.

Or you could buy some floating plants. Do the big end-of-cycle water change, put floating plants in the tank and add fish.
The big water change is intended to remove the nitrate made by the cycle, but it will also remove the last bit of ammonia and nitrite. Plants remove ammonia faster than bacteria so between the almost-enough bacteria and floating plants, all the ammonia should be taken up.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2020, 11:42:11 AM »
I'm not sure what is the best option.

The safest would be a big water change and add another 3 ppm ammonia - but that would take a fair bit of time and effort, and you could end up stuck at the same point again.

Or you could buy some floating plants. Do the big end-of-cycle water change, put floating plants in the tank and add fish.
The big water change is intended to remove the nitrate made by the cycle, but it will also remove the last bit of ammonia and nitrite. Plants remove ammonia faster than bacteria so between the almost-enough bacteria and floating plants, all the ammonia should be taken up.

How about if i top up to say 2ppm today, and see what it says tomorrow? Just to see it can deal with 2ppm which would give more confidence.

Offline Sue

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2020, 11:56:22 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
That would work.

You just need to find something that will balance your frustration will the time it's all taking with being confident that it's safe to add fish  ;)

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »
Hi @Sue

So checked my tank this morning and got 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite after adding 2ppm ammonia yesterday. So think its just a waiting game . Have added 3ppm ammonia today so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Offline Sue

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »
Yes, it should't be too long now. The tank can clear 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, they just need to grow some more of them

Or - get fish now but only half the total number you intend, and add the rest slowly.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
Yes, it should't be too long now. The tank can clear 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, they just need to grow some more of them

Or - get fish now but only half the total number you intend, and add the rest slowly.

Well been having terrible trouble deciding on fish, but might have a plan for the 125 litre. Looking at a Betta Female soriorty tank. Done lots of research and looks interesting, but still want more information.

Offline Sue

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2020, 02:32:09 PM »
The general guidelines for betta sororities are:

Lots of plants/decor to break up line of sight
Plenty hiding places
Have 1 or at least 4 as with 2 one with bully the other, and with 3, two will pick on the third.
Get them all at the same time. They form a pecking order - you'll see a lot of bickering at first as they sort this out - and any fish added later will disrupt the pecking order.
Keep an eye on them. Some females are as aggressive as males and can't be kept in a sorority. And a lot of sellers can't tell the difference between females and short finned males - these often end up in a tank of females at the shop.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »
YIPPEE!!!!!!!

At last the 125 litre tank is cycled. Now got to decided what fish to have.

And 200 litre tank just done 3ppm for last stage.

Offline Sue

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »
Well done for persevering  :)

Any thoughts about fish? Do you have to decide because you like so many you can't make your mind up  ;D

If you don't go fish shopping for a while, leave the water change till the day before you go, and add 1 ppm ammonia every 5 days to feed the bacteria.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2020, 12:19:11 PM »
YIPPEE!!!!!!!

Congratulations and well done on Persevering, looking forward to see what you buy. I was lucky enough to know what I wanted before the end of the cycle so I could get my fish straight away (after big water change)  :cheers: :fishy1: :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »
Well done for persevering  :)

Any thoughts about fish? Do you have to decide because you like so many you can't make your mind up  ;D

If you don't go fish shopping for a while, leave the water change till the day before you go, and add 1 ppm ammonia every 5 days to feed the bacteria.

There are lots i like but information is extremely varied. Sort of driving me mad to be honest. People that have them have differing views, sometimes the science disagrees with other science, groups even have different opinions on the same fish, it is a minefield.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

Congratulations and well done on Persevering, looking forward to see what you buy. I was lucky enough to know what I wanted before the end of the cycle so I could get my fish straight away (after big water change)  :cheers: :fishy1: :)

I'm sure i will decide at some point.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
I think the problem, as I'm aware you're asking these sorts of questions elsewhere too, is that there will always be a range of opinions and views; the more you get, the more confusing it will become. Sometimes people ask questions and try to find a midway point between them all which isn't the wisest; other times, people ask questions hoping that answers will fit in with what they really want and justify that desire. I think it's best to stick to the 'bona fide' sources as a bare minimum from where to start, then find out if there are any nuggets of useful advice that expand upon that ie are in line with it but add more to it.

For example:
*if I had a 30-litre tank and thought that I'd like cardinal tetras, I'd check Thinkfish and Seriously Fish profiles, realise that they're advocating a 60cm-length tank as the minimum size tank, and then discount them as a potential option for stocking - I wouldn't start asking questions about whether or not I might be able to keep them, otherwise folk will give all sorts of answers like managing to squeeze them into a 20L tank without any problem, etc, and I might get lots of these answers which may start to convince me that it's do-able after all and simultaneously this would dilute the 'bona fide' evidence (which it oughn't to do);
* if I had a love of platies but, checking the Thinkfish and Seriously Fish profiles, realised that my water was far too soft for them and that I wouldn't be able to use reverse-osmosis water, I would discount them as a potential option for stocking - I wouldn't start asking questions about whether or not I might be able to keep them, otherwise those that are keeping them in softer water will pipe up that it's no problem, and the weighting I'd attribute to those answers might outweigh the 'bona fide' evidence (which it oughtn't to do).

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
I think the problem, as I'm aware you're asking these sorts of questions elsewhere too, is that there will always be a range of opinions and views; the more you get, the more confusing it will become. Sometimes people ask questions and try to find a midway point between them all which isn't the wisest; other times, people ask questions hoping that answers will fit in with what they really want and justify that desire. I think it's best to stick to the 'bona fide' sources as a bare minimum from where to start, then find out if there are any nuggets of useful advice that expand upon that ie are in line with it but add more to it.

For example:
*if I had a 30-litre tank and thought that I'd like cardinal tetras, I'd check Thinkfish and Seriously Fish profiles, realise that they're advocating a 60cm-length tank as the minimum size tank, and then discount them as a potential option for stocking - I wouldn't start asking questions about whether or not I might be able to keep them, otherwise folk will give all sorts of answers like managing to squeeze them into a 20L tank without any problem, etc, and I might get lots of these answers which may start to convince me that it's do-able after all and simultaneously this would dilute the 'bona fide' evidence (which it oughn't to do);
* if I had a love of platies but, checking the Thinkfish and Seriously Fish profiles, realised that my water was far too soft for them and that I wouldn't be able to use reverse-osmosis water, I would discount them as a potential option for stocking - I wouldn't start asking questions about whether or not I might be able to keep them, otherwise those that are keeping them in softer water will pipe up that it's no problem, and the weighting I'd attribute to those answers might outweigh the 'bona fide' evidence (which it oughtn't to do).

I think i will stick to seriously fish as the go to source, it is suggested quite a bit. Think i know what will go in the 125 litre tank, a soriorty of female bettas. Then just the 200 litre to stock. Corys in that one, just need to find other fish to go in it as well. It looks a large tank so want to get right sized fish for it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2020, 08:06:47 PM »
How long is the tank?

My main tank is 107 cm long (odd size as it's custom built and and they worked in inches, 107 cm = 42 inches). I have 5 pearl gouramis in mine, I can recommend them.

For anyone wanting to buy pearl gouramis, try to source large ones as they are easier to tell males from females. I thought I'd bought 1 male 4 females but even in the quarantine tank I began to wonder and once they were in the main tank one of the 'females' started to grow fin extensions  :o

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »
How long is the tank?

My main tank is 107 cm long (odd size as it's custom built and and they worked in inches, 107 cm = 42 inches). I have 5 pearl gouramis in mine, I can recommend them.

For anyone wanting to buy pearl gouramis, try to source large ones as they are easier to tell males from females. I thought I'd bought 1 male 4 females but even in the quarantine tank I began to wonder and once they were in the main tank one of the 'females' started to grow fin extensions  :o

Its 100cm long. Saw some dwarf neon rainbowfish, might be a possible with some corys and tetras. Pearl gouramis also possible

Offline fcmf

« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »
Saw some dwarf neon rainbowfish
Very envious.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2020, 08:48:02 PM »
Saw some dwarf neon rainbowfish
Very envious.

Saw them on Tropco, a mail order place.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:35 PM »
 :cheers:
My water is just a tad too soft for them and my tank too small - this is one of a few species in which I think SF hasn't updated its profile to appropriate tank size (55L seems too small for a fish that grows to 6-8 cm and is active), another one being trilineatus cory (42.5L too small for a 5.5 cm fish) and the other one temporarily forgotten.  Anyway, absolutely fine for your tank size.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:56 PM »
Funny how cycling goes. My 200 litre i added the 3ppm ammonia to start last part, but unlike the 125 litre which had some mature media in it, it used up the 3ppm in 24 hours. Ok, nitrite not ok, but no rush.

For stocking i think i have decided on following.

In the 125 litre i am going to do a betta female sorority. Need to plant tank up more first but should look good when its done.

As for the 200 litre, 2 or 3 different tetras, a group of Forktail Rainbows and some corys. Sounds like a plan.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »
If you want any advise on planting the tank let me know  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling tank - the restart"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
by CoronaFish
5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 09:35:53 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
13 Replies
Last post February 14, 2016, 07:55:06 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: