Error

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Cycling tank - the restart
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Without mature media or Tetra Safe Start it can take a while to drop. I had the same thing happen - ammonia dropped but no nitrite then stayed at the same level for a while. It took 21 days for my ammonia to drop to zero with no mature media or TSS, though every tank is different.

Thanks @Sue

Checked the 125 litre today, 3ppm gone in 2 days, will check in another 2 days to check it is still 0ppm and then start the 1ppm stage.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
@Sue

Pleas help, ive done something stupid. Checked my ammonia today and for second test in a row ammonia was 0ppm and nitrites were 0ppm. So I meant to put in 1ppm of ammonia but have put in 3ppm.

So do I test tomorrow, or next day? And what do I do if ammonia is 0ppm and nitrites are also 0ppm?

Thanks.

David

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
Don't panic  ;)

If you added the 3 ppm today, test tomorrow. If both are zero, the cycle has finished.

If one or other is above zero, carry on as if you had added only 1 ppm, it'll just take a bit longer to reach the next target levels. The only thing to watch for is the nitrite level. That's just because when a tester shows the highest colour it could be that level or anything above that level.
Hopefully yours will be somewhere less the chart maximum when you test tomorrow. Let us know if it is at the highest colour as there is something you can do to check the actual level.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 11:38:25 AM »
Don't panic  ;)

If you added the 3 ppm today, test tomorrow. If both are zero, the cycle has finished.

If one or other is above zero, carry on as if you had added only 1 ppm, it'll just take a bit longer to reach the next target levels. The only thing to watch for is the nitrite level. That's just because when a tester shows the highest colour it could be that level or anything above that level.
Hopefully yours will be somewhere less the chart maximum when you test tomorrow. Let us know if it is at the highest colour as there is something you can do to check the actual level.

Hi @Sue

So ammonia is about 0.50ppm today, nitrites are just above 0ppm and nitrates are 80ppm. Will check ammonia tomorrow and if zero will do the 1ppm stage. Think that is best thing to do.

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 12:07:15 PM »
I would test again tomorrow, and if ammonia is under 0.25 add another 3 ppm.

Since you added 3 ppm by accident instead of 1 ppm and both are so low after just 24 hours, you are almost there.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
I would test again tomorrow, and if ammonia is under 0.25 add another 3 ppm.

Since you added 3 ppm by accident instead of 1 ppm and both are so low after just 24 hours, you are almost there.

So if 0ppm ammonia tomorrow, top up to 3ppm and if zero the next day, my cycle is complete?

If so, does that technically mean I could stock the whole tank? I wont but thought id ask the question.

Thanks.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
Hi  :wave:,

When I followed the procedure I checked my proposed stocking Levels by the community calculator which showed the percentage of stocking levels. I also staggered when buying my chosen fish to avoid the overload on the filter and biological bacteria.

Hope that helps  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
So if 0ppm ammonia tomorrow, top up to 3ppm and if zero the next day, my cycle is complete?

If so, does that technically mean I could stock the whole tank? I wont but thought id ask the question.

Thanks.

Yes, if it's zero 24 hours after adding a 3 ppm dose, the tank is cycled. If you are getting fish straight away, do a big water change, make sure the water has settled to the right temperature then go fish shopping. If it'll be a few days before you can get fish, add 1 ppm ammonia every 4th day, then do the big water change and go shopping.

In theory, you can add all the fish at the same time. But I would only get a maximum of three quarters of the fish I want at the start.
A cycled tank is not a mature tank. Cycling only grows the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria, and a mature tank is one where lots more micro-organisms have grown; a tank is usually thought to be mature 6 months after cycling is completed. There are some fish species which don't do well in tanks which are not yet mature, and these fish should only be added after a few months.

If you choose to add fish a few at a time, don't leave it too long between batches. If you check the ammonia and nitrite levels after each batch of fish and they never show anything other than zero, it is safe to get more.
And with shoaling fish, you need to get the whole shoal at the same time.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks @LeakysLab and @Sue

Tank was 0ppm ammonia today so topped up to 3ppm, so tomorrow could be the big day.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
What are / remind us of your plans for stocking this time?  Best of luck when it happens.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
What are / remind us of your plans for stocking this time?  Best of luck when it happens.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Ah!!

Well been going back and forth on what to get. So much misinformation out there but think I have whittled things down. In the 125l I am going to put 2 Oranda goldfish or similar. In the 200l going to have corys, tetras, hatchet fish and a centrepiece fish, although that hasn't been decided on yet.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 02:11:43 PM »
Sounds good, although, on the topic of goldfish (very envious!), you'll need to upgrade them into a larger-sized tank soon.  There are a couple of goldfish sites out there which are notorious for their misinformation but you'll get 'bona fide' and peer-reviewed information from well-respected aquarists at http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/

Maybe a gourami of some sort as a centre-piece fish in the other tank?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
error

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Oh well down from 3ppm to 0.45ppm ammonia in a day. Nearly there but not quite.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »
It’s an agonising wait but your soon get there keep it up  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
So some movement on my 200 litre tank today. Ammonia 0ppm and nitrites above 2ppm so have added 3ppm ammonia and now in stage 2, checking every 2 days.

The 125 litre was down to 0ppm ammonia so added 3ppm and will check tomorrow, fingers crossed it is at 0ppm tomorrow.

As for stocking, have decided on the 125 litre tank. Done lots of research on forums, facebook and youtube and going to try Harlequin Rasboras, Cardinal Neons and a Betta fish. I fully understand that some bettas might be nasty so have a plan B just in case but think it should work.

Also have a 30 litre tank for a Betta on his own, but not started that one yet.

The 200 litre stocking is still up in the air. I love Corys but I am really liking goldfish too. I think 3 would fit in it all ok but need to look into more, currently reading @fcmf links and going from there.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2020, 11:45:21 AM »
Exciting times.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »
I think these stocking plans sound good. :cheers:

The 200L would be much better for goldfish so that's a wise plan. [If you do proceed down this route, I'll expect regular updates and photos - I miss keeping goldfish and would like a 'surrogate tank' to read progress updates about.  :D]

The 125L plans also sound good, and the fish choices great for your soft water.  If the betta does have to be moved into the 30L tank, then cories may well be an option in that tank along with the harlequins and cardinals/neons, even if later down the line. If you were unsure between cardinals and neons, then cardinals are meant to be stronger and less susceptible to the infamous neon tetra disease.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2020, 04:17:03 PM »
I think these stocking plans sound good. :cheers:

The 200L would be much better for goldfish so that's a wise plan. [If you do proceed down this route, I'll expect regular updates and photos - I miss keeping goldfish and would like a 'surrogate tank' to read progress updates about.  :D]

The 125L plans also sound good, and the fish choices great for your soft water.  If the betta does have to be moved into the 30L tank, then cories may well be an option in that tank along with the harlequins and cardinals/neons, even if later down the line. If you were unsure between cardinals and neons, then cardinals are meant to be stronger and less susceptible to the infamous neon tetra disease.

I would love corys but have been told that they only like sand substrate, and my 125l has tropica soil in it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling tank - the restart"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
by CoronaFish
5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 09:35:53 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
13 Replies
Last post February 14, 2016, 07:55:06 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: