Cycling My Fluval Edge

Author Topic: Cycling my Fluval Edge  (Read 66812 times) 295 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Cycling my Fluval Edge
« on: January 21, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
OK! I thought I'd post a new thread for my 'cycling story' and readings!

I set up my 23l Fluval Edge properly yesterday and added the first dose of 'nutrafin cycle' since a bottle came with my tank just to see what happens! My tank has a mixed colour gravel, two small pieces of bogwood and two small rocks and four plastic plants.

Eventually I'm planning to get a larger piece of bogwood (though only small given the size of my tank) with some java fern and one small moss ball, and some cherry red shrimp and probably 6 endlers!

So it's been running for around a day now and I've dosed with 2.2ml ammonia.

Day 1:

Temp= 30*c
Ph normal = 7.5 / 7.6
Ammonia = 4ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = somewhere between 5ppm - 20ppm

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
Ok, some interesting things going on with my Ph! It looked to me to have gone to almost 8 at standing.. is that actually possible!?

Day 2:
Ph 7.8 - 8
Temp 30
Ammonia 2ppm
I dosed the last of my nutrafin cycle too

Day 3
Temp 30
Ammonia 2ppm

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Yes it is quite possible.

Did you test the pH of your tapwater after standing 24 hours, I've forgotten  :-[
The gravel could affect pH if it's made from limestone or coral
Ammonia dissolved in water does make the pH higher.

The pH will fluctuate quite a bit during a fishless cycle. The ammonia you add will push the pH up, then the nitrite and nitrate will push it down once they start to build up. You don't need to worry about pH during cycling so long as you check it every so often to make sure it doesn't drop below 6.5. If a cycle appears to get stuck, low pH is usually the cause.

You can eliminate the gravel by putting some in a tub of water, letting it stand a week and testing it. Have a tub of plain water standing alongside it as a control.

That reminds me, we had a thread on the old forum comparing different substrates for any alteration of pH and hardness. I think I saved all the data somewhere before the old forum disappeared..........

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Ahh sorry I should have said that Ph was my normal tapwater after standing rather than my tank water, I haven't actually checked that yet (I probably should!). I haven't measured anything except ammonia in my tank since I started - should I be measuring anything else at this stage? I'm happy ammonia has got down to 2 so far, hopefully it'll go down a little more the rest of the week!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Aha, so it's your tapwater that went up from 7.5/7.6 to 7.8 after standing 24 hours!

It's quite common. Mine goes up from 7.4 to 7.6. A lot of water companies pump carbon dioxide into the water supply. It makes the water acidic, which helps reduce limescale build up in the mains pipes. When you leave a glass of water to stand, it's like leaving a glass of lemonade out overnight - the carbon dioxide gasses out. The acidic effect of the carbon dioxide is lost so the pH rises a bit.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
Ahh thanks for the explanation Sue - that makes sense! Would that Ph be problematic for any of the suggested fish and shrimp or should it be OK?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
If you are still thinking of endlers, it's not a problem. They like hard alkaline water.

Which shrimps were you thinking of, cherry or amano (aka japonicas)? They are both fine at your pH.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
That's good then :-) I think cherry red for my tank size :-) that's a relief!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
Day 4:
Temperature 30*c
Ph of actual tank = seems to be up to 8!
Ammonia 2ppm

No movement on my ammonia yet! My siphon still hasn't arrived either so I'm yet to rearrange my tank and retrieve the tangled up algae magnet! I'm guessing the best time to add my plants (java fern and moss ball) is going to be when eventually down the line I need to do a large water change before I get my fish?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »
That's when I'd say to add the plants though others may disagree   :D My reason is that once you have live plants you need to have the light on for part of the day and this, coupled with the ammonia you have in your tank, will encourage algae to grow. You may well get algae anyway (most commonly brown diatoms) but there would be more if the lights were on.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »
That does sound like it makes sense! I don't want to mess around with my tank too much whilst it's cycling apart from to sort out the tangle so I can use my magnet again ha. I filter wool I ordered arrived the other day too... my filter's currently got two lots of biomax as I replaced the carbon with an extra biomax and one of the fluval sponge... should I add in the wool or would that be unneccesary? I've also got a pre-filter to put onto the intake tube at some stage...

The tank has been looking really clear so far, I test the lights every day just to make sure they're OK though as everyday I get some condensation under the hood and on the lights so I'm a little paranoid they might get damaged unless I wipe them down every day as I've heard that's happened to a few other people with these tanks. My heater needs moving as well as it seems to have dislodged slightly. I'm just wondering as well with the condensation - is this a normal thing or just something with these tanks?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »
Condensation is normal - don't worry about it.

Be aware, however, that the water level might drop slightly due to evaporation and it's only pure water that evaporates leaving the dissolved minerals behind. If you top-up the evaporation loss with conditioned tap water then over time your water hardness will increase. It's a sort of 'Dead Sea' effect. It's best to have some Reverse Osmosis water (i.e. pure H2O) to top-up evaporation loss. My local Maidenhead Aquatics sells it for 70p for 5 litres - supply your own container. It'll last ages in with your tank.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
Ahh I didn't know that thank you :-)
Day 5 and 6 both still 2ppm

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
It's just a waiting game now. I know you added the nutrafin cycle but assuming that had no live bacteria in it, the source of filter bacteria is the water supply. The chlorine or chloramine that your water company adds kills virtually all of them and getting the few survivors going is the long part. They split into 2 roughly once in 24 hours, so for each survivor they multiply as: day 1 - 1 bacterium; day 2 - 2 bacteria; day 3 - 4 bacteria; day 4 - 8 bacteria; day 5 - 32 bacteria and so on. As you can see, a slow start getting faster and faster.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
That makes sense! My pump finally arrived today so I was able to retrieve my algae magnet and sort out the tank a little. My water has gone a little brown from my bogwood despite best efforts but in the tank itself it doesn't look too brown luckily!

Today the ammonia is potentially 1ppm, or edging that way from 2ppm - it seems much lighter than the last few days... so fingers crossed some of my little bacteria are growing!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
Day.... 11??
Ammonia has been at 1ppm since the 28th now! Eek!

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »
Do you have a nitrite reading?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
Ahh I completely forgot to start testing for nitrite!

Day 12:
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite between 2ppm and 5ppm... literally can't tell the difference between those colours on the chart! These API test kits are making me a little paranoid about my colour vision ha

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
The main thing is the nitrite reading is above zero. That shows that you have some ammonia eating bacteria growing, as they are the things that make the nitrite. The actual amount is not too important, what you need to know is zero or not zero.

I notice that your ammonia seems to be staying at 1 - are you topping it up to that level or is it 'stuck' at that level?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
It just seems to be 'stuck' there for whatever reason :/ I was quite surprised since the level decreased really rapidly at first, but since the 28th it just seems to have got stuck there and not much seems to be happening! I haven't actually dosed any more ammonia since the first lot =/

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: