Cycling My Fluval Edge

Author Topic: Cycling my Fluval Edge  (Read 66880 times) 295 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #280 on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Fantastic news about your shrimplets Colin! I'm excited to add some shrimps somewhere down the line, though for now my endlers are keeping me entertained! I keep finding myself staring at them all swimming around. Sounds like your fish eat like kings Colin and Sue! I'll definitely have a look for the cubes you described Sue. I imagine Maidenhead are more likely to sell them than Pets at Home.

After I finished my breakfast I went on a body recovery search. Unfortunately my suspicions were confirmed when I found him under one of the pieces of bogwood :-( He was such a beautiful and big endler too, whereas the one I got at the same time is only brightly coloured if the sun hits him in the right place. I gave him a burial at sea :-( Can't believe I've had a fish die on me already :-( So I'm down to the 7 fishies now. I was very surprised by how content them seem, even whilst I was rooting around in the tank for the poor endler they didn't seem bothered! It's getting easier to tell them apart from too, especially the poor lonely Japanese one! I wonder what they all thought to their tankmates demise!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #281 on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
A tip for you now that you have fish. Start a collection of bits and pieces.
Yogurt/cheesecake pots (individual serving size) make free pots for defrosting food in. Ice cream tubs are useful for when you need something bigger than a yogurt pot. Wash them all carefully under the tap to remove all trace of food.
Toothbrushes are useful for cleaning the corners of tanks and scrubbing impellers - the cheapest you can find.
Those pan scourers that look like a ball of knitted brightly coloured plastic thread are good algae scrapers. Labels from bedding plants are great for stubborn algae - use the flat edge held at a slight angle to the glass. Credit cards work better, but I'm not using mine in a fish tank  ;D
If ever you have to medicate, save the dropper that comes with the medication.
A cheap tea strainer is useful for sieving brine shrimp.

Anyone like to add any more?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the list Sue! Sounds like a great idea. Oddly my tank seems to have been algae-free throughout the whole long cycling process, but now the lights are on I guess that will soon change! My fish seem to have found some spots of algae anyway though, like on my heater, the rocks and they look nibbling at the pre-filter! I had a panic yesterday when I was first adding the fish as the pre-filter fell off, I just had images of my poor new fish being sucked up!

On a similar note, how often should I be rinsing the filter media? And how often should I clean the impeller? I'll definitely be investing in some cheap toothbrushes and some more J cloths, as I always have to wipe down the lights and tank around the hood because of condensation. I've rearranged the tank slightly again and turned the filter down to the lowest setting, they all seem happy enough with the set up anyway!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
The fequency of filter cleaning depends on the individual tank. To start with, I suggest you look at the media once a month. If it looks disgusting, clean it in old tank water, and check again after 2 weeks. If it looks OK after a month, check again in another month. After a few months, you'll get to know how long to leave it. Check the impeller whenever you clean the media. You'll know when it needs cleaning as it'll get a layer of slime on it. Whenever the impeller does need cleaning, clean the well at the same time. Cotton buds are ideal for the well, just make sure you don't lose the end inside as they can be tricky to get back out. I have an old pair of tweezers for just that.

TigzFish

« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
Great to see another water-keeper turned into a fish-keeper.  Well done jesnon, and sorry to read about your loss.

Anyone like to add any more?

Baster (basically a giant pipette from the cookware section). Very useful for minor junk cleaning jobs in the tank, such as small waste matter like dead leaves or annoying clumps of poo (I have shrimp, there should be a Shrimpic Games Poo Competition).  I use mine to gently blow off waste food particles from leaves too. Quite handy where you don't want to drag out your big vacuum.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
Baster (basically a giant pipette from the cookware section). Very useful for minor junk cleaning jobs in the tank, such as small waste matter like dead leaves or annoying clumps of poo (I have shrimp, there should be a Shrimpic Games Poo Competition).  I use mine to gently blow off waste food particles from leaves too. Quite handy where you don't want to drag out your big vacuum.

Now that's a good idea  8) 8)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful ideas! I gave in earlier and fed my fishies. Only one flake and it seemed more than enough - though the greedy little things are still looking at me expectantly! Loved seeing them in a feeding frenzy!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
You big softy  ;D ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
There are certain fish that quickly learn where their food is coming from and who feeds them. Endlers are on that list. They will try to convince you they are starving to death 10 seconds after they've stuffed themselves. Don't give in  ;D

My gouramis and apistos (which are supposed to feed off the bottom) sit and wait at the top corner with the endlers when I go into the cupboard under the tank where the food is kept.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »
Haha I can definitely believe that Sue! Since I've been trying to get some photos of them, extra time I sit next to the tank with my camera they all swim to the front. It's almost like they're posing for the photo, it's just a shame I can't get a good one of them! I couldn't help it Colin, they kept staring at me looking hungry!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #290 on: April 02, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
Be strong, Jesnon, be strong. ;D

The only way I found to take photos without the fish all cramming into the top cubic-inch of the tank wanting to be fed was to put my camera on a tripod and activate the self-timer and run away. This sort of meant it was pot-luck as to getting any fish in the photos. I think I must've deleted about 20 for each one I kept.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
Ha I think I might have to try this approach!

My tank is looking all good! So glad I stuck with the fishless cycle :-)

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5 - 20ppm (same as tapwater)
Ph 8.2 (same as always, I hadn't checked it for a while so thought I better see how it was doing!)

I'm making up a shopping list of fishy things to get today. A plant for my wood, some super glue to fix the broken plastic plant (though my tank is looking a little crowded, I figure I might as well try it in the tank and I can always kick it out if it's too busy looking!), an extra thermometer to check temp, some string to tie the plant with, fertiliser for plants, frozen food for fishies, plug timer for the lights to replace the broken one, toothbrush... wow this is sounding like a busy / expensive day!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
I use sewing cotton to attach my plants. Dark green cotton. Well, I say cotton but it's all polyester now. It can be a bit fiddly tying knots in it, but it's hard to see once it's done.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »
Thanks for the tip Sue! Have to admit I'm a little nervous about attaching the plant, I've never been particularly good at fiddly things like that!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #294 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
I tried 'proper' cotton to tie the plants on - but that disintegrated after 4 or 5 days. Then I tried polyester thread - but I'm not skilled at that fiddly knot tying. So I resorted to small elastic bands - and they tend to get brittle and snap at about the right time (6-8 weeks) for my Java Ferns to attach themselves to the bog-wood, just requiring me to oik them out with the long tweezers.

Offline Sue

« Reply #295 on: April 03, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
Elastic bands are fine for fish like endlers - their mouths are too small to eat any bits before they were found. But I wouldn't trust my male cockatoo apisto - in this species, the males have big mouths for their size.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: