Cycling My Fluval Edge

Author Topic: Cycling my Fluval Edge  (Read 67110 times) 295 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Guppies are a problem these days. They used to be hardy once upon a time.

Jesnon - if you buy fish from Pets at Home, be prepared to be questioned. They seem to have a policy that they won't sell you fish unless they can tick the boxes on their sheet. Most of them don't know why they're asking, they've just been told to. For instance, they will quite likely refuse to sell more than six fish to anyone, even someone who has just fishless cycled a 300 litre tank.
Don't tell them you've just finished a fishless cycle. Don't tell them they are the first fish. Tell them your tank is a bit bigger than it really is, maybe 35/40,litres. Tell them you already have 3 fish you are just adding a couple more.
Anything that ticks their boxes  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »
Hi guys,

Well...you did warn me about guppies and otos.  I'm just hoping that will be it now.  The bully guppy has started on the other guppy with the same orange tail and markings as the one that died now....perhaps he's like me and doesn't like orange!  I am left with a beautiful blue guppy and two pink ones, they look slightly different to the two orange ones in that they don't have quite such long tails.  I wonder if anyone has noticed if any particular colour is more prone to bullying or being bullied???

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
Thanks for the warning Sue! The fish I saw looked really bright and healthy at Pets at Home, so I'm hoping they're well looked after there! I haven't seen the 'normal' endlers anywhere else in Bristol so far oddly, which is why I'm resorting to Pets at Home!

I think my tank is officially cycled! :-D

Today:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80ppm

I'm off home for a few days so am leaving the readings to my boyfriend... since I'm not expecting him to do any water changes I've just told him to measure nitrite and ammonia and dose if they're both 0 in the evening. Looking forward to Tuesday! If I get plants on Monday do I need to treat the tank like I was getting fish e.g. do a large water change to remove nitrate, turn temp down etc??

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
I can't stop thinking about my fish! The best way to get them, which endlers to get etc etc... So to distract me slightly any fishy names on a postcard?!

I really hope my green endlers are in stock! They're the ones I'm currently most excited about, still yet to see the Japanese ones

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
I would do the big water change and set the heater to the temp the fish like it before planting the plants. The less messing about once they are in, the better. Since you won't be getting shrimps for a while, I don't think you need to worry about any contamination on the plants.
I should explain that last bit. There is the possiblulty that the plants could have been treated with a chemical to kill snails and snail eggs, which unfortunately kills shimps too. It's mainly on plants imported from the far east. Chucklett, who hasn't been round on the new forum much but posted a lot on the old forum, had a problem with plants killing her shrimps, so from then on she quarantined new plants and ran something called polyfilter to remove the last traces. This is something you need to think about in the future once you have shrimps if you buy new plants. The plants you get on Monday should be OK when you get shrimps as you'll have done a fair few water changes.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Thanks Sue! 0ppm nitrite again :-D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
Right so.... I have fish!! Wooho!

I bought a moss ball but couldn't find any java fern already attached to wood that looked nice enough to buy, so perhaps one day further down the line I'll invest.

However I'm a little concerned about one of my fish already...

In the bag he was looking a little listless floating in the tank, and now I've added them to the tank. Anyway he was hiding behind my wood in the tank, then swimming normally, then he started 'nose diving'. Now he's hiding again. Are these signs of a gonner?! :-(

All my other fish are happily swimming and exploring the tank

Offline Sue

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »
They can react badly to being caught, bagged and put in the new tank. Can I ask, what did you do to get them from the bag into your tank? And was the shop somewhere that'll have the same water supply as you?

At this stage, I wouldn't worry too much. It could be that this fish is more sensitive to everything involved with being sold. He could recover when he settles in, I've seen it happen. Keep an eye on him and if the worst happens remove him as soon as you find him. Dead fish do horrible things to the ammonia level.
It could be that he was sick in the shop tank. Fish will try to look as though they are not sick as they would be the first target for predators in the wild. And being netted out of the shop tank will scare a sick fish into reaction.
Did the shop worker catch them all easily and carefully? I've heard some horror stories - fish dropped on the floor then put in the bag, fish being squashed against the glass with the net etc. Fish subjected to things like that rarely make it.

You could always get a piece of wood and a java fern separately and attach it yourself. I've just tied a piece to the flowerpot cave ready for when my cycle finishes. I had to soak the pot in bleach (as with everything else in the tank with my last betta in case he did have lymphocystis) which needless to say didn't do the orginal java fern much good. It'll slowly attach itself like ivy to a wall then I'll be able to remove the cotton.

Offline Resa

« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »
Oh, brilliant news, Jesnon....at last...fishies!!!
I would get used to worrying about your fishies, I swear mine have deliberately tried to panic me! ;D  Since two of mine died I have been paranoid about the others, as soon as I see one stop swimming around I think he is going to pop his clogs!
I'm sure your little fishy is probably just adjusting to his lovely new home :) 

My son, (the one who lives in the UK) bought himself some new marine fish today.  He SKYPED me so that I could see them....they are beautiful!  He said though, that when the shop assistant was getting one out with the net, it jumped and fell to the shop floor!!!  Anyway, he said he didn't want that one but they gave it to him, so we'll have to see if the little chap survives his ordeal!

Well, I'm really pleased for you that you have at last got your little bubble blowers.  You didn't tell us though, what you decided on and how many you bought......looking forward to some piccies :)

Resa
  :)

P.S. My baby platys seem to be doing well, I have seen at least 5.  One is nearly a centimetre long and some of the others are only about 2mm :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
I used a net to add them to the tank from the bag as I'd heard it's bad to put the shop water into my tank... hopefully I wasn't way off there and causing unnecessary trauma to the fish? However he looked quite poorly before this point and all the other fish were happy despite this :-(

I don't remember them being bashed about or anything in the shop, however the shop keeper did accidentally catch a female fish, which he offered me free but I said I didn't want her so he took her out, so I guess he could have knocked the fish during this process?

I do think I'll be opting for adding a plant to one of my existing woods, as I like the wood I have at the minute and the individual plants looked healthier than the ones in the tanks on wood already!

I'll keep an eye out for him and see... I hope he doesn't die - what a traumatic start to fishkeeping!!

Aww the poor new marine fish Resa, hope he survives!!

In the end I went for:

2 Japanese blue and yellow endlers (one of which is the one I strongly suspect will be dead soon :-( )
3 Green endlers (these are my favourites!!)
3 normal endlers

I was a little disappointed by the Japanese endlers, however the two I got were very pretty. Unfortunately the prettiest one is the one I think is very poorly. In good news all my other fish seem to be having a whale of a time!

Is it OK to put my lights on or shall I leave it for tonight? Is it right to not feed them for two days?

I'll get some pictures ASAP!

Offline Sue

« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
Leave the light off till tomorrow, and you can feed them then as well. Don't overfeed - a fish's stomach is about the same size as it's eye, so for flake food you need 8 eye's worth. Live or frozen is different as they contain more water. For a small fish like endlers, I crush the flakes up a bit. They'll need so few flakes that with lots of bits they all get their share rather than one or two scoffing the lot.

I always net my fish out of the bag, it can be tricky when they use round bottomed ones as they slip under the net, and with square bottomed bags as the fish hide in the corners.
If the shop has different water from you, you should add a bit of tank water every 10 min for an hour while the bag floats in the water - this is especially important if you ever get mail order fish or if the species is known to be very delicate. If the shop has the same water supply as you it isn't as important.

If your endlers are the same as mine, you might find pics a bit tricky. All I ever get are multicoloured blurs  ;D

Fingers crossed for the sickly one.

And don't forget to keep checking your ammonia and nitrite for a couple of days ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
Thanks as always Sue! Yes they were a nightmare to catch, they're so quick and loved hiding in the corners! The water was all the same so shouldn't be a problem :-) hehe will keep an eye on my levels!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
Here's the best i could manage earlier!

Offline Sue

« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »
Oooh pretty! A sort of snakeskin look to him  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #274 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
They're all such gorgeous colours and patterns! He's one of the Japanese ones I think. I need to name them all :-)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »
Congratulations on your new fish and that's a good photo, too. More please.

Just a hint.... don't name them just yet, let them settle in first and see if your sickly looking one survives. It's always worse if you lose them and they've got names.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »
P.S. My baby platys seem to be doing well, I have seen at least 5.  One is nearly a centimetre long and some of the others are only about 2mm :)

That's really good news, Resa.... and you'll have to buy a new tank to keep them in! ;D What's not to like?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
Yeah I definitely know what you mean about the names Colin - I think it'll take me a while to think of some anyway!

Also I think I missed your comment about the platys Resa - congratulations! How are your baby shrimp going Colin?

Unfortunately it looks like the sickly Japanese blue must be dead :-( There's no sign of him anywhere in the tank, and I keep doing a headcount but there's only 7 fish to be found. I just can't see the body anywhere :-( He's not floating near the surface, and I couldn't see him under the wood. I think I'll have to go on a body recovery mission :-( Unless my fish could have eaten him!?

In good news however, all other fish seem to be settling well. They're all SO active! This morning when I first checked them they were all happily swimming together. Then when they caught sight of me they started frantically swimming to the front. Are they hinting they want some food!? I was planning to wait until this evening when my partner is in (still trying to get him more interested in them!) but I might give in soon!

Also my water was:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate somewhere between 5 and 20ppm (same as my tapwater)

The moss ball has rolled itself right to the corner of the tank near my bogwood which is a little annoying, I might have to do some rearranging!

I'm currently charging my batteries before attempting some photos with my proper camera (the other shot was from my phone) so expect more photos soon!

I've just put my lights on too. Unfortunately my plug timer seems to have broken already, I can't turn it to set the time so it won't work :-( Might be popping out later to get a new one, but I'm off both today and tomorrow so it's not too urgent.

How often do I need to supplement flakes for other food? I've only got tropical flakes today, but am tempted to pop out later and buy some loose plants for one of my bits of bogwood (I like the shape of one too much to put a plant on it, but the other is quite well shaped for some plant I think!)

Also should I turn down my filter? It's on one of the highest settings at the minute as I figured the quicker it goes the better and none of the fish seem to be struggling, but I don't want them be worn out!! They all still seem quite confused by the almost mirrored wall effect to the tank - I keep seeing them staring at their own reflections or swimming at themselves!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »
Hiya

The shrimplets are doing fine, thanks. They're getting to the stage where I'm having difficulty telling if it's an adult or a baby/teenager type thing.

You definitely need to (errr) fish the fish out - dead fish can poison the water quite quickly and you don't have too much water to dilute the toxins with. When Tarragon the Guppy died he decided that under the bogwood would be the best place to turn up his fishy toes. We wondered for a while whether the others had given him a decent burial it took me so long to find him.

I've got a block of 'tropical mix' frozen bloodworm, daphnia etc which the fish get a small cut-up cube of every Wednesday and Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon is shelled pea day and Monday is their fasting day. Six mornings are flake and/or granules, and the other afternoons are freeze-dried daphnia or bloodworms. I've had no complaints! ;D

I'd have your filter on the lowest setting. Endlers came from very slow, almost stagnant, backwaters and they don't produce much waste. Too much thrashing against a current can damage flashy finnage.

Offline Sue

« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »
Regarding non-flake food, I find that bloodworm is a bit to big for my endlers. They swim round for ages with one hanging out of their mouths, presumably eating it bit by bit. Daphnia and brine shrimp are much more endler sized (or you could always chop the individual worms in to tiny pieces  ;D ) Most fish shops sell frozen cubes, there is much less risk of something nasty being in them compared to those bags with live things swimming round in them. One cube will be way to big for a meal for 7 endlers. Cut a piece off a cube and put it in a tub with a bit of tankwater to defrost. I usually sieve brine shrimp in a cheap tea strainer and wash under the tap to remove the salt as they are grown in salt water. Feed frozen live food like this once or twice a week. There is more nutritional value in the flakes, but the change is good for them.
Dried 'live' food has less nutritional value than frozen. Some fish (especially bettas) can have problems with it swelling up inside them, so when I've used dried live food, I've pre-soaked it before giving it to the fish.

All my fish love peas too  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: