Author Topic: Cycling my Fluval Edge  (Read 66810 times) 295 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks Sue :-)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
PM readings:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate between 20 and 40ppm

I've dosed 1.6ml ammonia, waiting for it to mix in

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2013, 11:31:03 PM »
Things are looking good here.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate about 80ppm

I'm too tired to do a water change right now (14 hour shift, bleugh), but shall probably do one tomorrow. Dosed 1.7ml ammonia in the mean time.

Offline Resa

« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
I'm not surprised you're tired....that's a really long shift.  Good news though on your readings ;D  It's looking like you might be able to get your little fishy chums when you're off next week....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :) :) :)

In the meanwhile, have a good nights sleep.....

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
The increasing nitrate is good, looks like you are getting there. Don't worry about a reading of 80, it's when it gets so high it's off the top of the chart you need to worry about inhibiting the bacteria.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »
Thanks Resa! I definitely agree that we need a rota system here :-P not sure I will cope alone with my new fishies!!

This morning, less than 12 hours since dose:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 80+

And thanks Sue - I'm quite relieved about the water change, I hate doing such big water changes without any fishies to benefit! There's a few days now which are going to be awkward to measure... tomorrow I'm in work for 31 hours, and then go back home before I'm heading 'home home' to see my family for the weekend... So I'm going to have to leave my cycle in the hands of my boyfriend!! In this case it might be worth me doing a big water change tonight or on Friday before I go. Tricky! I'm planning to get fish either Tuesday or Wednesday next week.... I hope nothing happens in the mean time!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »
This evening nitrite is at 0ppm, so I'm doing a large water change to bring the nitrate down as I'm away for a few days and don't think my boyfriend will be happy if I ask him to do it!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »
My broadband has just decided to let me post!!!  We are definitely going to get satellite broadband....it's got to be better than what we have.

Anyway.....Jesnon!  31 HOURS!!!!!!  Are you doing a marathon??? :o

Happy water changing, not long now, eh? :)  Have a lovely Easter weekend with your family :)

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
Haha it does seem it some times! It sounds worse than it is, I'm 'only' working for 21 of those hours, the other 10 hours are part of a sleep shift ha. I did basically a 100% water change (with warm declorinated water of course!) to bring the nitrate down and added more safe start (there's still some left even after this dose!) and dosed 2ml ammonia (which should come out around 3-4ppm ammonia). I'll be able to test the water early tomorrow, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my nitrite eaters get chomping away!

Yeah Tuesday doesn't seem too far away at all! Thanks Resa - can't wait to go home to see them all!

I'm trying to decide what makes sense... Since I'm off all of Tuesday and Wednesday, but my partner won't be back from work until 5:30. Hmmmmm. I was wondering if it would be worth me getting the plants and two of the fish from one specific shop myself, but I'll have to be on the bus for about 15 minutes and then a bit of a walk. Given the cold weather would this be a really bad idea!? Actually.. I've just realised the shop I wanted to get most of my fish from closes at 5:30 :-( Not sure how to do this now! I did work out I could get a bus there, but there's a lot more faffing in the cold on public transport with that shop. Tricky things! Maybe I need to get a taxi ha. I don't really want to wait any more than I have to haha. I can get two of my fishies from the Maidenhead, two more from Pets at Home (unless people would strongly advise against this??).. it's just the four from the other shop that would be tricky on my own!

Offline Resa

« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
If I was you, I would ask if I could go to part-time at your work....and just do the 10 hour sleep bit ;D

Now, bearing in mind that " I know nothing" (best said in a spanish Manuel accent) I would be concerned about public transport and/or walk with fishies in the temperatures the UK has at the moment.  Can anyone give you a lift or is a cab really out of the question?  Best thing would probably be if your partner developed some kind of ailment and , oh dear, had to leave work early, say, just before the shop shut ;D ;D ;D
I don't know about any of the fish shops in the UK except when I still lived there, Pets At Home didn't have a terribly good name and I believe they were once featured on some undercover TV programme, of course, that could mean that they have got their act together now. Also, individual branches may vary hugely. I would go by what other folk on the forum say and also your gut feeling on how healthy the fish look and how well they are kept.  Also, probably worth thinking about how knowledgable the staff seem.
One of the good things about fishless cycling is that it does give you chance to really think about the fish you want and also to suss out the different shops....that, and you stand a better chance of your little fellas settling in happily....and healthily.

Well, however you end up getting them, I wish you a fun day choosing and finally buying your new little friends....

Happy Easter

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »
P.S. Colin or Sue may advise differently, but I would be inclined to get plants in before the fish so that you're not rummaging around in the tank trying to decide how they look best while your fish are waiting.  They of course, need to float for a bit in their bags in the tank to adjust to temperature, which would make it extremely difficult to place the plants, plus I would imagine, it would give your substrate and water chance to settle again......just a thought......

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
P.P.S.  Just spotted 2 fry in the plants :D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2013, 08:40:46 AM »
Yes, get the plants in before the fish. I'd find it tricky enough in an Edge without trying not to kill fish.

There is a way to take fish on public transport in this weather, though it does depend on how you value your appearance. Wear a really thick jacket that's a bit on the big side then put the fish bag inside and fasten up. Ideally, use a jacket with a belt that you can pull really tight so you have your hands free and the bag won't fall out. Your body is at 37 deg, more than enough to keep the water at 25 deg. The downside is that it makes you look rather an odd shape  ;D It's what I do if the car park is a long way from the shop, and also while I'm in the car.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
Well assuming they are open easter Monday I can buy my plants and set them up nice and early. I guess the temperature needs to be brought down for plants the same as my fish and the lights need to go on!

Maidenhead sell a fish transportation bag:
 http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/product/maidenhead-aquatics-thermal-fish-transportation-bag-

It's not too expensive and I can use it again when I buy my shrimp and if i move. do you think it would be worth buying? I'm quite concerned about introducing the fish since the hole in the edge is quite small already! Maidenhead are open late so I can go there and pets home quite easily.. it's just the other store I'm concerned about. It could be tricky finishing early because of easter weekend too!

Offline Resa

« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

Looking at the transporting fish bag, it doesn't seem to me to be much different from most other thermal or picnic cool bags.  I have a few like this that I have just bought either at the supermarket or the cheap shops, and the linings are a muted grey/silver.  Might be worth a look around to see if you can save yourself a few quid....might be just enough for an extra fishie :D :D :D

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
Good idea resa! I've just remembered I have a picnic rucksack that has a thermal layer... would that be adequate as a fishy transport? I'm thinking if i can get plants in on Monday, then tuesday I can go to maidenhead and potentially pets at home and get my first 4 fishes in :-) then maybe later on I can get my other 4 fishies.

This evening my partner checked nitrite which was at 0ppm and dosed 2ml ammonia again. Looking on track!

Congrats on your ickle fry! And I definitely agree - the sleep part alone would be nice haha

Offline Resa

« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
Hi Jesnon,

I'm sure the thermal rucksack would be fine, and I think getting your plants in and how you like them on Monday is a good idea.  You're nearly there now, it is so lovely to finally get fishies...but then you get different worries!
I love mine and I'm so chuffed they have had babies.... probably be moaning about that in a few months time when I have 17,000 of them in my tank ;D
Then again, it was horrible to lose my little oto, and I have been worried about one of my guppies, then he perked up, then I was worried again, then he looked fine again, then when I came home this evening he was very listless and alternated between sitting on the gravel and resting on the weed.  I decided I was probably going to have to get some clove oil tomorrow to do the dreaded deed...looked to see how he was doing and he was with the others eating and swimming around. Half an hour later he was at the bottom of the tank dead :(
I am so worried that I will lose all my fish, I'll just have to be vigilant. I must go tomorrow and get the clove oil though, just in case....I don't want any of them to suffer, and you know if any of them get ill, it will be over Easter when everywhere is shut.
Colin says it gets better after 6 months.....I hope so!

Don't forget to let us know what fishies you get when you have them....have a good Easter :)

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
So sorry about your fish resa :-( guppies have a bit of a bad rep if it's any consolation, you probably had a poorly one to start with :-(

Offline Resa

« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Thanks Jesnon,

Yes, I'm  hoping that was the case.  Colin said it was unlikely that the bully guppy took the chunk out of the sick ones tail, so I'm wondering if he developed fin rot due to stress from being harassed.  Oh well....I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for the others....

Resa

Offline ColinB

« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Sorry Resa. They just seem to do that for no obvious reason, but it's still poo when it happens.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: