Cycling My Fluval Edge

Author Topic: Cycling my Fluval Edge  (Read 66866 times) 295 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My bottle said to use it once, immediately go out and buy fish (which I'm obviously not going to do ha!), and then use it too whenever you do a water change / add new water. Is that the same as yours Resa? I was expecting it to be a three day dose thing too :s It's worth a try Chrisp, it at least feels like you're doing something ha

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
Anything to get it goin  ;)

Like sue said tho, storage can be key to this. My bottle is coming tomoz. How do I know if it's all dead already lol. Soon Find out in a couple of days now lol

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
Adding ammonia from a bottle is exactly the same as getting fish as far as the bacteria are concerned. I would add more Safe Start at a few water changes once you have fish just to make sure - you have the bottle so may as well use it. But long term there's no point. If there are enough bacteria in the filter to care of all the waste from the fish in the tank adding more isn't going to improve anything. So long as you don't do something silly like forgetting to add dechlorinator or washing the filter media in plain tapwater  ;D

Chris - the only way to find out is to use it and see what happens  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
:-) Makes sense!

Last night my readings weren't very good (though it has been only about 9 hours since I dosed ammonia). Nitrite was still about 5ppm.

I've just done my water test today, it's been around 21 hours since my ammonia dose:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm (this is beginning to be my favourite colour!)
Nitrate 40ppm

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
Hi Guys!

Sorry about the delay in answering today, our bloody broadband is so-oo slow normally but today it has been up and down all day.....driving us crazy!  Anyway, quick replies before the donkey falls over again :D
Jesnon, yes sorry, my brain does it's own thing lately, on checking with hubby (as I don't have the bottle still) he said I am obviously on mushrooms because the safe start was tip it all in straight away...then get fish!  I was getting confused with the Nutrafin Cycle which came with the tank.  That was the one that was the three day dosing instructions.  The safe start worked out that we needed 50mls for our size tank, but we could only get 30ml bottles, so we just threw two of them in!  I figured it didn't matter and as I wasn't getting any fishy friends until I had had a clear run of double zeros I thought I would just see what happened.
So guys, I wish you luck and hope it works for you and Sue, keep up the good work (without cheating).  At least you have got some fishies to watch ;D

resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
Ahh thanks for that Resa! I was a little worried I'd ended up with a dodgy bottle or something as I got it from The Range round the corner that have quite a few fishy things rather than an actual fish shop!

I'm still mulling over my endler & shrimps vs. betta conundrum! Would there be anything in my tank I need to change e.g. the substrate or anything like that for a betta? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that they don't like gravel but might have made that up entirely!

I'm waiting until this evening to dose 1ppm ammonia (which oddly worked out at 1ml of ammonia... my ammonia must be super weak!). What dose of ppm am I ultimately aiming for to clear within 12 hours for my fishies?

Offline Sue

« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
Bettas are fine with anything smooth on the bottom - smooth so not to risk their fins catching or getting cut. That's the only rule really for anything in a betta's tank. Gravel is fine, I once had large pebbles but took them out when I got the frogs (risk of them getting their legs trapped). Sand is good too - that's what'll be in mine because I have a lot left from the bags I used for my other tanks. I swapped the bigger tanks to sand a couple of years ago.

If you decide on just a betta, 2ppm would be fine - that's what I'll aim for once my cycle finally gets under way. For endlers and shrimp, maybe a tad more, perhaps 3ppm. The thing with small tanks like your Edge and my 25 litre is that they should be understocked, so we won't need the full 5ppm-worth of bacteria.

Offline Resa

« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
It's a beautiful, sunny Spring day...a little on the warm side admittedly, and I have to go and get Easter pressies for my grand-daughters.  Now, strangely enough, the shop I want for that is right next door to one of the fishy shops ;D so as I need to get a new plant for Rafie, (he has eaten all of his old one!!!) I feel it makes sense to pop in there as well ;)  After all, I didn't get to go the other day as it seemed to be the day all my family and friends back in the UK decided to ring me for catch up chats :)
Now, I am ONLY going for a plant....I must be strong, I must be strong, I must.....pray for me, friends :)

Resa
      ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
Thanks Sue, does that mean the bogwood would be OK or might it snag their fins? 2ppm - 3ppm isn't too bad, hopefully my bacteria are doing well!

Haha Resa good luck - try to resist the temptation!!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2013, 06:18:19 PM »
Ooh Sue - I remember you saying previously I could have 6 - 8 endlers... would 8 and eventually some shrimp be too much for my tank? I'm just thinking of all the colours, I could get 2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 normal and 2 green (assuming all the colours are still in stock when my tank is cycled!)

Still trying to decide!

Offline Sue

« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »
8 should be fine. Males are only tiny. I have about that number in my 125 - the reason I say 'about' is because it's almost impossible to see them all at once to count. On the whole they do stick together as a group, though there's always the odd one or two off wandering.

Bettas and bogwood depends on the actual piece of wood. Some is rough, other bits are smooth. Did you know you can get java fern on coconut shells? Half shells with a semicircle cut in the edge are often used for caves and they are smooth enough. Just an idea.......

Offline ColinB

« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
It's a beautiful, sunny Spring day...a little on the warm side admittedly, and I have to go and get Easter pressies for my grand-daughters. 
Resa
      ;)

It's a cold, sleeting, miserable day here - so make the most of the good weather, Resa.

How strong were you? Inquiring minds want to know! ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »
Great - thanks Sue! I think I'm leaning more towards endlers at the minute, but I might be tempted to change a few things in my tank for a pretty enough betta!

I'm intrigued too Resa - any new additions to your tank?!

Offline Resa

« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »
Hi Guys,

Yes, finally spring seems to have arrived here, Colin.  It's about a month behind.  I saw all the snow and rain on the news for UK......bet you still have a hosepipe ban this summer though :D  I wrote a long post to you today about the snakes....and the damn computer lost it (along with my shopping) when the broadband kept pfaffing about.  >:( I'll attempt it again over the weekend.  Hope the weather improves over the weekend for you all.

Just realised, I've hijacked Jesnon's thread.....sorry :(  I'll head on over back to mine!

Resa
  :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:05 PM »
Oh...forgot to say...got the pressies I needed, then went in to TWO fishy shops.  I tried to fight it...I really did!  What beautiful fishies they had though, so-oo...I had to get 6 little pandas and a puffer.
Definitely going back to my thread now...see you there ;)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
Haha New arrivals for you then resa!

I'm away from tank for 31 hours for work but readings this am:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 160

This is my partners readings... I guess I need a water change but cant until tomorrow. Can he dose ammonia in the evening or shall he leave it?

TigzFish

« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
This is my partners readings... I guess I need a water change but cant until tomorrow. Can he dose ammonia in the evening or shall he leave it?

With a high NitrAte reading and more NitrIte to be eaten, I would leave it until after a water change.  You'll need a big one too, well over 50% to get the NitrAte down again.  The Ammonia eaters will be ok without any food until then.

Offline Sue

« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
Oh...forgot to say...got the pressies I needed, then went in to TWO fishy shops.  I tried to fight it...I really did!  What beautiful fishies they had though, so-oo...I had to get 6 little pandas and a puffer.
Definitely going back to my thread now...see you there ;)

Sorry to continue the highjacking jesnon but Resa's post is ringing very loud alarm bells.

Resa - a puffer!!!??! I suggest you keep a close eye on your other fish.

Edit - did you or did you not get any fish?

Sorry... the devil got in to me and I was bored!  So no, I didn't really buy any pandas or puffers

Getting me worried like that. Naughty naughty  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
Oops...sorry Sue, I felt the darkness engulf me, and I couldn't help myself ;D  I think it was probably the stress of seeing my little pandas I want so-ooo much and walking away from them....I swear I heard them calling me back!

Resa
 ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »
I know the feeling. Luckily I didn't see a betta I wanted this morning when I ventured into a shop  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: