• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A couple of suggestions.
Check the pH of the tank water.
Add enough ammonia to take the reading to 2.0

If the pH has dropped, report back  :)
After you add a bit more ammonia, see if it drops over the next day or so or if gets stuck at 2.

It is possible for a sudden drop in pH to stall the cycle, and if it's not that sometimes people have found that doing a water change can get a 'stuck' cycle going again.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
Thanks Sue! The Ph in the tank is now up to 8.2 so I've ruled out the Ph crash. I've dosed a bit more ammonia, but before it was looking to still be stuck somewhere between 1 and 0.5ppm

So before dosing:

Day 13
Temp 30*c
Ammonia 1ppm
Ph 8.2

I'm just waiting for the ammonia to mix to see if it's taken it up to 2, or if I need more ammonia. Fingers crossed something happens soon!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
Ok so Day 13 after dosing the ammonia I had:
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 2ppm

Day 14:
Temp 30*
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

I'm hoping it doesn't end up stuck there again!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
If your ammonia is dropping, even if it gets stuck at 1.0, don't worry for now. If it stays at 1 for a couple of days, treat it as though it was zero - add more ammonia every time it gets down to 1 and wait until nitrite drops to zero. Hopefully, by the time that happens, the ammonia reading will be dropping to zero too.

Don't forget about fluorescent lights/energy saving bulbs making the liquid in the tube look greener than it really is. Does tapwater show the zero colour?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
Thanks Sue =) I think it showed at 0 when I did my tap water.

Day 15:
30*c
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

If it's still at 1 tomorrow I'll add more ammonia =)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
Day 16:
Ammonia was still at 1ppm so I dosed back up to 2ppm again!

16 17:
30*c
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

If it's still at 1ppm again tomorrow I guess I'll dose some more ammonia!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Day 17:
Exciting things are happening!
30*c
Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

I've dosed what should now be back to 5ppm but I need to wait until it's mixed to make sure that's definitely right!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
Day 18:
am
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
pm
Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

Just dosed back to 5ppm

Offline jesnon

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
Day 19:
am test
Ammonia: 0ppm! I'm a little worried it's because I didn't double check how much I'd dosed of ammonia, but I used the same measurements I usually do so assumed it was fine! I've dosed again now so I'll check it's definitely the right amount when it's mixed!
Nitrite is still off the scale / 5ppm... I wish something would happen with that! Very happy with my ammonia eating bacteria though ha

TigzFish

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
I would have a look at the NitrAte to see if there is any additional movement.

Last time you reported the reading was Jan 21st as somewhere between 5 and 20 ppm.  If the NitrIte is off the scale then looking at the NitrAte can help your sanity.

In my own fishless cycle last year, the NitrAte went too far and caused a pH crash halting the whole process (until Sue kindly helped me out getting it going again).

Worth a shot, if you see movement in the NitrAte, at least you know stuff is working.

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
Jesnon, there is now evidence coming out that a high nitrite level can inibit the growth of the nitrite eating bacteria. You could try doing a water change (practice for when you have fish  ;D ) to get the nitrite down low, then at your usual dosing time add some ammonia - and check the reading after 20 mins-ish to see how much you've added.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Ooh ok so I should start testing my nitrate too and do a water change to try and bring my nitrite down? how much should I change roughly?

Offline Sue

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Testing nitrAte will show if there are any nitrite eaters there to make it form nitrite, but don't forget to subratct the amount in your tapwater.
If your nitrite is showing the highest colour the tester is capable of, try a 50% water change and test again 20 mins later. The 20 mins is only to make sure the old and new water have mixed thoroughly.

Your Edge is more or less the same size as my betta's tank (that's 25 litres). It is very easy to do a 50% water change without realising you've done that much  ;D By the time I've been over all the sand with the tube, half the water has gone. Just a warning to keep your eye on how much you are taking out once you have fish  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »
Day 19
PM Test pre water change:
Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrate somewhere between 5ppm - 20ppm... (a very pale browny orange) so exactly the same as my tap water  :(

I've just done a water change... I know what you mean now Sue! My siphon has a kink in the tube but I've figured out that squeezing where the kink is makes it run faster now and managed to get it to start without having to suck the tube this time... I had a bucket full of water in no time! I did a bit of rearranging too, not sure if I like it better now or not, though I'm happy at least that my heater is a little more disguised.

Stupid question... but how do you all double check your temperature? Do you just have two different thermometers? I have the fluval one and I just want to make sure it's actually reading correctly and I hear you're supposed to double check it when you have fish occasionally too!

Day 19 PM post-water change:
I just tested my water post water change and now I'm even more confused...! Nitrite is still off the scale  :( At least I'm assuming so since the colour is nothing like any of those on the chart. It's almost a magenta rather than any of the lilacy purples  :o Does this mean I need to do a whole new water change? Maybe I didn't change enough  :-\

Offline jesnon

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »
In good news my tank is now nice and clear again, rather than browny from the tanins in my bogwood! In odd news my bogwood looks a bit like it's somehow 'dusty'!? If anyone has any suggestions for tank rearrangements let me know - I still have a moss ball and javafern attached to bogwood to go in eventually too... maybe I was a little optimistic with my small tank!

TigzFish

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
It's a bit odd that your NitrAte isn't moving, but if you have done a large water change and your NitIte is still off the scale (which it seems to be), I would be inclined to do another 50% to try and get it down.  See what Sue says about that before doing anything, but I'm wondering if the NitrIte colony isn't growing because there's too much in the water?  Sue?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 11:28:09 PM »
It's all a bit odd really! I'm getting so impatient now!

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
Since your nitrite is so high, empty as much water as you can and refil with nice nitrite-free tapwater (dechlorinated and warmed!). Then wait till your usual time and add enough ammonia to give a reading of 2.

Nitrite gets very high because of the moleclular weights of ammonia and nitrite. Nitrite is 2.7 times heavier than ammonia; 1 ppm ammonia is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite, so once the ammonia eaters start to grow, the nitrite level goes up very quickly.
The nitrite eaters can't start to grow until the ammonia eaters have made some nitrite, and as a rough guide, the nitrite eaters take twice as long to grow as the ammonia eaters did. Adding smaller amounts of ammonia until the nitrite eaters grow helps keep the nitrite level under control. Once the nitrite level is dropping to zero, you can start adding more ammonia till you are up to 5ppm doses.

The dusty look of the bogwood could be diatoms. They are common in cycling tanks and becasue they are brown like the wood they won't stand out like they would on a white stone. Diatoms grow because of the amonia in the water. Once the tank is cycled they should go away. They can also be wiped off.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
Thanks again Sue! I'll make sure to do a massive water change later (I guess it's all good practice!). It sounds like I'm in for a long wait with my nitrite eating bacteria :-( still it'll be worth it in the end to have nice healthy fish and shrimp!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
Very odd things going on!

Pre water change
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite and nitrate were the same as yesterday and I dosed ammonia again before seeing this

Post water change
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite about 5ppm.. is that still too high? I'm a shift worker so off to work now but if it is i can do another water change tonight. Since I dosed ammonia earlier shall i leave it until tomorrow to dose to 2ppm?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: