Cycling My Fluval Edge

Author Topic: Cycling my Fluval Edge  (Read 66783 times) 295 replies

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Cycling my Fluval Edge
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I just want to go fish shopping already!

You're on the final lap!  Note that you are now doing water changes to keep down the nitrates!  Your nitrites are now measurable using your test-kit.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2013, 12:59:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I've found something to distract myself in the mean time... an independent fish shop not too far away, I'm thinking of popping my head in at some point and having a look at their ranges of fish, I'm guessing they might be better 'quality' than the fish down the road and I'm hoping they have some more interesting endlers!

I did my water change and another little dribble of ammonia... fingers crossed my cycle has a kick start again soon!

Do you think it would be worth asking at the independent fish shop about media they could sell me? Or am I nearing the finish line and should just leave my cycle to it!?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
Even with some mature media you could well have to continue cycling. Depending just how much mature media you got hold of, it may not have enough bacteria in it for the fish you want. And it will depend on the amount of fish the filter media was dealing with. A small piece of medium from a very overstocked tank could well house more bacteria than a huge chunk from a very understocked tank. So you'd still need to add ammonia until you knew how many bacteria you had.

But it is still worth asking  ;D

As a side note, if you ever get another tank, you won't have to go through all of this again as you'll be able to use the Edge's media to seed a new filter. And if you decide to upgrade and move all the fish over, you'll just have to move all the Edge's media to the new filter and add more fish slowly, a few at a time.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
Hmm I won't be able to get down to the shop for a little while, maybe at the weekend, but today's readings....

Nitrite 0.25ppm and very light at that, so I'd say between 0 - 0.25ppm
Nitrate 10 / 20ppm
Ammonia 0ppm

Can I have a party?!
I had a massive panic when I first tested for ammonia as it came out bright green so I thought I'd somehow killed my ammonia eaters, but it was then I realised it was because I'd used my ammonia dropper to put the right amount of water in the tube... oops!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
A small party is allowed now, then when your nitrite has dropped to zero for a few days in a row, you can have a huge "welcome fish" party  ;D

Don't be in too much hurry to get fish. Wait a few days to make absolutely sure. And don't forget to check the water for several days after you get fish. It is good practice to do this whenever you get fish, however long a tank has been running.

TigzFish

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
Yay! Getting really close to the finishing line now Jesnon, the prize is within sight.  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
Woop-woop. Nearly there! I congratulate you on your patience and persistance - it'll be well worth it in the end.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
Hehe thanks everyone - I'm so excited now! Makes me even keener to get down to that aquatics shop and eye up their fish :-) I know Maidenhead Aquatics had some interesting green endlers last time I was there, but that was a long time ago now and I've only ever seen the 'standard' ones before. Hopefully this independent shop will have some nice ones. I hear they have a large selection of shrimps and unusual fish too. Don't worry guys, I won't give in to temptation yet! Fingers crossed my little nitrite eaters get nomming over the next few days ha.

A few little things since I'm nearing the finish line... My tank doesn't have any kind of timer for the lights, do you think it would be worth investing in one? I don't really know how that would work though.... also how long should I put my lights on for when I have my plants and fish? And after I've got all my fish and things are a little settled how often is best to test the water to keep an eye on the parameters? I know since my tank is really small they're a little peskier to keep in check, but obviously given the expense of all the tests etc I don't want to be being excessive! One other thing... since shrimps are really sensitive how long should I leave it before getting them? Oh... and what temperature should I be aiming to set my tank to to accommodate everyone happily? I keep reading things about having oxygen in your tank etc and was getting concerned I haven't added anything extra like that to my tank, do you think it should be oxygenated enough for everyone with regular 25% water changes? Sorry for all the questions as usual!!

(As you can probably tell I'm a little excited now, just want to make sure I've got everything set up for when my tank is finally at the finish line!)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
A timer's well worth it - mines set from 7am to 8pm but that's not a 'written-in-stone' timing. A timer means you can have a lie-in at the weekend (or be a dirty stop-out  ;D ) and the fish are looked after. They're only a few quid from B&Q.

My tank's at 24oC, but it's best to check your stock against the fish profiles here to see where the over-lap is. Too cool and your fish slow down a bit - too hot and they can turn up their little fishy toes.

Test every day for a week after getting new fish, then decrease to once a week as long as you're happy.

Wait a fair few months before getting shrimp. You want all your little bacteria nice and settled.

These are just my findings - others may differ - and probably will  :). That's one of the problems with interweb forums - you have to 'vet' all your responces, and responders.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
All my tank lights are on timers, basic mechanical ones that cost a few pounds.
But does the Edge have a separate plug for the lights or is it one of those that has the heater, lights and filter all wired into the same plug?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
I'm not actually sure about the plug... I left the whole setting up of the tank to my partner, however having had a quick look at all the wires it does seem that there's three separate wires suggesting they all have separate plugs... or at least I hope so! I hadn't realised the timers were so easy and cheap to get hold of! Will definitely be looking for one ASAP. The fluval has a'night time' and 'day time' lighting option, though I don't think it would be possible to put these on the timers without some actual electrical rewiring. I'm guessing if I just leave the timer to it and change it to night time on the evenings I'm in? There's no real benefit from what I can tell except for looking pretty and mellow anyway ha.

Ooh a few months until I can get shrimpy friends? :-( Well I guess that's better than getting them only to kill them! Once my tank's fully cycled and been so for the stated length of time is it OK to get all of my 6 - 8 endlers in one go? I can't wait now! Also how do I go about adding plants? Do a big water change to get rid of nitrates for the fish, turn down the temp, go out and get my plants and add them and then the next day go and get fish? Just trying to work out the practicalities now since my hours are so erratic and I know my partner won't appreciate the task of going out and buying everything on his own!

Offline Sue

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »
You should be OK with 6/8 endlers at once. Your plan sounds good re the water hcnage, plants and fish. If it'll be more than a day before getting fish, you will need to add some ammonia to stop the bacteria dying back, but a 24 to 48 hours gap is fine.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »
Sounds good :-)

Pm readings not so good:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 3 to 5ppm
Nitrate 60 to 80ppm

Offline Sue

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
Oh dear  :(  This is why I said not to get fish yet. Bacteria are biological entities, and one thing I learned in biochemistry is that biological entities do not go in straight lines like in chemistry.

Keep your spirits up. The fact that the nitrite was dropping is a very good sign, this is just a little blip. The bacteria will soon get back on track again. As you already know, it's getting them started that's the worst bit, once there are some there they will multiply even if if it is a bit irregular.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
I've just realised I did something a little daft... because I'd been dosing ammonia about 3pm that was when I dosed yesterday, and then measured it again at about 11pm. How long should it really be taking to drop? This am was much more positive!

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate on the lower scale of 40ppm

Not going to lie when I saw the results last night I was massively disappointed! Hoping they continue like this one from now on. Maybe I should start dosing at a more normal time....!  I guess at least I know now they're dropping after just less than 24 hours so maybe things will speed up soon!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
Ah-ha.... that would explain it. They should fall to zero over-night if you dosed in the late afternoon. Fingers crossed for fish by next weekend.  8)  8)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
Yay! Not as disappointing as I thought then! Oops ^^; Fingers crossed indeed! Annoyingly I'm actually away next weekend - typical!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
Annoyingly I'm actually away next weekend - typical!

Cancel immediately!!  ;)

....you know you want to.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
Haha if it were something more dull I would be seriously tempted, but it's a big reunion with some friends I haven't seen for a long time so I can't really :-P I don't think getting them before going away would be advisable either ha. I guess I'll have to wait until the week after, grrr!

Offline Sue

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
If you'll be away from home, it would be safer to resist the temptation till you get back. If you don't trust anyone to dose ammonia in your absence, just leave it, then add ammonia to check on your return.

I do sympathise about the weekend away. I got my 125 litre a week before we were due to visit my in-laws for a few days and although I was just doing a straight swap - fish, filter media and decor from my 60 litre to the new tank - I just left it running with water and nothing else till we got back. It did look odd, a tank of water with nothing in it, not even decor as that was all in the smaller tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cycling my Fluval Edge"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 02:36:01 PM
by ColinB
34 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:54:36 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: