Help.....

Author Topic: help.....  (Read 2530 times) 3 replies

Offline chriscooldude

• Tropical Fish Forum User
help.....
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I need help.......I emptied my entire tank, cleaned the orniments and bought new gravel.  Cleaned all.  I ut some of the water from the old set up to help balance, however after a day of all set up the water went cloudy and my fish started dying.  I did a partial water change and added some accu-clear.  after 2 more partial water changes I have lost all my fish but one  :'(  .  My water still looks slightly cloudy less than what it was but also has a green tint which is the main reason I changed it all in the first place(as well as not having a full clean for 2 years)  What have I done wrong, what can I do to sort it before I try adding new fish?  I have 1 fish in the tank (a large plec).  any advise?

:fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: help.....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi Chris, sorry that your first post has to be with a problem  :(

There would have been bacteria on the ornaments, substrate and glass - which I assume you cleaned as well - so that would have removed a lot of bacteria.
Did you do anything to the filter?
Unfortunately the old water would have done nothing to replace the bacteria you cleaned out of the tank as they do not live in the water but on surfaces.

Basically it sounds as though you started re-cycling the tank and the resulting ammonia killed the fish - did you test the water at all after the cleaning?

You have 1 fish left, a plec. So you can't do a fishless cycle as that would kill the plec. You need to monitor the water for both ammonia and nitrite on a daily basis - you'll need a test kit if you don't already have one - and do a water change every time you see a reading above zero for either of them. Once the levels stay at zero for a week, you can get some new fish, a few at a time. You say the plec is large, it will be safe to add fish equal to a third of the mass of the plec. Then test the water every day for ammonia and nitrite and when the readings have been zero for a week, get more new fish - this time a third of the plec plus the previous new fish.

Once the tank is fully ss tocked again, a weekly cleaning should stop the same problem arising again.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I sorry you've had to seek advice after losing fish.

Unfortunately, your spring-clean might have done more harm than good.

In the gravel and on the surfaces of your tank there are colonies of bacteria. Their job is to help deal with the waste produced by your fish.

The fish waste produces Ammonia which is poisonous. Bacteria eat the Ammonia converting it to Nitrite. Nitrite is also harmful to fish, but not as much as Ammonia is.

Nitrite is eaten by another bacteria watch then converts that to Nitrate.

We remove Nitrate by doing frequent water changes.

If you clean too vigorously you can remove all or some of the friendly bacteria.
This means that there aren't enough bacteria to deal with the waste.

Before adding new fish you need to Cycle the aquarium.
Cycling is the name given to the process of encouraging and maintaining the bacterial colony needed to deal with the waste produced by the fish.

If your remaining fish survives you need to do a fish-in cycle which is described here.

If your last fish doesn't survive I recommend a fishless cycle as it's far more humane, less stressful for the fish and the fishkeeper.

The fishless cycling method is described here.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Sorry to hear about your tank, that's very unfortunate.  :(

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: