Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Cleaning Seachem Purigen
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a bag of Purigen in my sump
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Purigen-250ml-Laboratories-Inc/dp/B018OIUAK4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504113642&sr=8-4&keywords=seachem+purigen
It is claimed to reduce Nitrates so I took a chance on it and liked it because it can be 'regenerated' by soaking in ammonia - Incidentally I think it does have an effect in Nitrates because there appears to have been an increase in weekly Nitrate build up since I removed it to regen it.
Anyhoo, a few weeks ago it was regen time, I tried standard 9.5% ammonia (Cleenoff) mixed with water, no effect overnight, so I repeated, still nothing. Then I tried it neat and left it for a few days, by the time I checked it the ammonia had gassed off and still minimal effect, so I tried neat in a sealed container, nada. Not to be beaten I ordered 33% ammonia (WOW this powerful stuff, they say dont sniff the 9.5% stuff, dont breath near this even when outside) This finally started to have affect, but it has taken some time.
So all I have to do now is rinse and dechlorinate (yes I know its ammonia), and now we get to the reason for the post.
I rinsed the bag really well outside with a hose first (remember its powerful stuff) it killed all the worms that were hidden under the gravel, I tried to wash them off as soon as they came to the surface but it was too late :( Then I brought it in and ran it under the tap for a good long time before leaving it soaking in water for two days with a massive dose of API water conditioner. Rinsed again and left to soak for another day before testing the water for ammonia, it went off the scale. I have repeated this three times now and can still detect ammonia but just 0.7ppm last time.
I know the strength of the ammonia will have had a lot to do with this but beware the highly porous nature of the Purigen must retain ammonia, if anybody uses this media or anything else that can be cleaned with ammonia ..... test it, even when you are sure its completely clear.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Cleaning Seachem Purigen
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »
Can I ask a silly question - why did you use ammonia to regenerate it? I've looked on Seachem's website and they say to use bleach, ie hyopchlorite. And while soaking in a dehlorinator will remove bleach, it won't remove ammonia.

From Seachem's webiste
REGENERATION: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of PrimeŽ, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus BufferŽ, Neutral RegulatorŽ). Original color and full activity should now be restored and PurigenŽ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul PurigenŽ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

So, soak in bleach, soak in dechlorinator to remove the chlorine, then soak in one of their products which contains phosphate.
I've just been googling it, and most people don't use the buffer as the last step. I even found one site that said the buffers did horrible things to his tank, he reported this to Seachem who then did their own tests and agreed with him, so they took that bit off the label. But it's still there on Seachem's website.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:53 PM »
@Sue Why use Ammonia? A good question indeed and maybe a lot to do with the poor results (I sense you are smiling as you read this) Then I have been an idiot? Worst than that, I told everybody! :o I always thought (without actually thinking) that bleach was a dilute ammonia solution Oops! Guess which section of the supermarket I'm off to in the morning.
Luckily no fish were harmed in the making of this cock-up ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
I did wonder  ;D

You need one of the thin, cheap supermarket basic range bleaches, or perhaps babies' bottle sterilising solution. These contain just hypochlorite- which decomposes to make chlorine - and nothing else; no perfume, no detergent.
I use babies' bottle sterilising solution for cleaning tank things should the need arise, and for cleaning food containing things that I don't want to reek of Domestos  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cleaning Seachem Purigen"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 04:24:49 PM
by Kirstos
4 Replies
Last post December 25, 2013, 05:16:03 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
by dbaggie
28 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 02:25:17 PM
by Paddyc
6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 12:16:01 AM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post November 19, 2016, 09:39:35 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 07:40:27 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: