Chris's Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Chris's Fishless Cycle  (Read 15799 times) 49 replies

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
Chris's Fishless Cycle
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So, i started my fishless cycle sunday 17-03-13 its now day 4.
i started off with 4ppm+ of ammonia (kleen off household) and testing using the api master test
i havnt even tested for ammonia in day 2,3 or 4. looking at others previous results and especially sue's fishless cycle which im following, the ammonia doesnt drop for at least a week. i will be putting gravel from a matured tank in the first slot of my 2 filters. about a cup/mug full in each. hopefully this will kick start the process. i will be testing and posting my results daily when ive actually added the gravel.

i hope i get a lot of help because i dont think i can do this on my own lol.

will get some pics up soon  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
Re: Chris's Fishless Cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »
photo 1

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
photo 2

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »
photo 3

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
photo 4

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
photo 5

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
photo 6 - filter with empty first slot

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:48 PM »
Hope you like the pics ;)

i havnt yet got real plants, but in future il be looking to add some. not many tho, as i dont wont it looking over crowded. il buy them the same time as my fish and add the plants first

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »
Great pics - thanks.

That gravel might be a bit too course for plant roots so you might want to consider planting in small pots and putting the pots in. I've used these before and they're very good, plus they age well and can help supply a good surface for beneficial bacteria. It also means you can pull the pots and rearrange your planting easily.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Will do. Can't quite get the link up cause I'm on my phone, il check it out after on my laptop.

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
STRANGE???

its day 5 and ive added gravel from a matured tank into the first slot of my 2 filters at 1:30pm.
I tested for ammonia at 5pm and it give a reading of 0.50+ ??? compared to 4+ on day 1

must be wrong

i dont think the gravel would have done that in that amount of time and i also dont think my ammonia eating bacteria would have developed that quick...

so, im putting it down to me adding the ammonia on day 1(30 drops) and not giving it enough time to mix with the water(150L) before testing. im sure i tested between 5-10mins after i'd added it

do u agree?

and also colinb

30 drops of ammonia + 150litres of water = 0.50+ppm???

does that sound about right with your average?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:03:14 PM »
STRANGE???

its day 5 and ive added gravel from a matured tank into the first slot of my 2 filters at 1:30pm.
I tested for ammonia at 5pm and it give a reading of 0.50+ ??? compared to 4+ on day 1

must be wrong

i dont think the gravel would have done that in that amount of time and i also dont think my ammonia eating bacteria would have developed that quick...

so, im putting it down to me adding the ammonia on day 1(30 drops) and not giving it enough time to mix with the water(150L) before testing. im sure i tested between 5-10mins after i'd added it

do u agree?

and also colinb

30 drops of ammonia + 150litres of water = 0.50+ppm???

does that sound about right with your average?

I agree with what you said about testing 5-10mins aftre adding. I usually waited a couple of hours.
And your 30 drops in 150litres is in the same ball-park as me.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
well thats great to hear

so i think if i add another 20 - 25 drops i think il be roughly at 1ppm

thanks col  :)

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
day 6

i added another 30 drops of ammonia to my tank yesterday and tested today to make sure it was thoroughly mixed, it give a reading of 2- ppm
im not going to add any more ammonia now untill it starts to go down.

i got a bottle of 'aqua safe start' coming tomoz, hopefully this gets the bacteria spreading and multiplying

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »
Avg hardness          Hardness            Classification        Degrees Clark          Degrees German
          52                    20.8                      Soft                       3.64                  2.91

South Wales Water

mean anything to anyone? what should i be taking from this?

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
day 7

ammonia 2- pmm

ph 7.6 - 7.8

added 125ml of 'tetra safe start' to my tank

still got half a bottle left. Anybody know if it be ok just to throw it all in another 125ml ??????

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
Morning Chrisp!

I don't know if it would be ok but I threw 60mls in to my tank when it said it needed 50.  I figured it couldn't hurt and as I wasn't going to get any fish until my double zeros were making a regular appearance, I didn't have to worry about keeping any little bubble-blowers happy :)
See what Colin or Sue think though.

Good luck and happy weekend!

Resa
 :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
thanks for the reply resa

thats what im thinking, the more bacteria the better, i dont wont half a bottle going to waste.

I checked the date on the bottle and that was all fine, but 1 thing i did notice was when i unscrewed the lid, the bottle was open. i thought it would have been sealed with a bit of foil u got to peel off or something. but when i googled it, it says it comes unsealed? was this the same as yours? anybody could have opened the bottle and replaced the liquid with something else or even added something else. just thought that was a bit strange thats all.

yes i will wait to see what they say, just encase  ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
I don't really know anything about SafeStart really, except it's unreliable. It can't hurt, tho'.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
Chris - your water company's stats tell you that you have soft water. Very soft water. Most home test kits use german degrees, and that's the unit you'll find in fish profiles. 3 degrees (OK, 2.91) is very soft. You won't be able to keep Rift Lake cichlids without adding something to the water. You'll find livebearers won't be happy either (sorry!) so I wouldn't get platies or guppies. But on the plus side Amazonian fish will love your water. Lots of tetras, cichlids and cories would suit your water fine.
Your pH may be higher than the figure quoted in fish profiles but hardness is more important than pH to fish. They can adapt to the 'wrong' pH easier than they adapt to the 'wrong' hardness.

If you really want livebearers, you could add remineralisation salt to increase the hardness. Things like this or this or any other product that is meant for adding to RO water.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Chris's Fishless Cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: