Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Changing filter - what process?
« on: February 14, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I have a Hagen Marina i110 filter in my 54L tank which has been there since the tank set-up in mid-October. It doesn't seem to circulate the water surface much, if at all, although it definitely has a strong 'waterfall' like effect immediately in front of the filter. I haven't changed the cartridge yet as I don't want to risk losing the good bacteria when the tank is still relatively immature. Therefore, I'm thinking of reincarnating my goldfish's (RIP) first filter - a Clearjet 1 (which, from recollection, only housed sponge) - and having this as a second filter.

Also, thinking ahead, I notice that the cartridges contain carbon and zeolite http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/aquapet/product/A134/ , and from recollection from my goldfish-keeping days, ought to be removed if adding medication. Then, if the tank should need to be medicated at any point, the Hagen Marina i110 could be removed, or the Clearjet 1 transferred into another tank and it set up as a quarantine tank (I have an old, slightly smaller tank which could be set up for this purpose if/when the need arises).

My thoughts are:

(1) to add the Clearjet 1 with some sponge firstly into the 54L tank, in addition to the Hagen Marina i110 filter, and that hopefully after some time (how long?), this Clearjet 1 filter would then be considered 'cycled'. Is this counted as a "fish-in cycle" or not, given that there's an existing filter already in there  ie do I need to take extra precautions to ensure that all is well (or am I putting the fish at risk in any way), and would I need to do more frequent water changes than my current 20% weekend changes involving siphoning and 10% mid-week non-siphoning changes? (Sometimes I just do a 20% change with siphoning every 5 days rather than a weekend water change and a mid-week mini water change.)

(2) once the Clearjet 1 is fully cycled, to replace the Hagen Marina i110 cartridge, which might improve its water circulation on the surface of the tank.  Would the replacement of that cartridge then count as a new "fish-in cycle", requiring extra precautions, etc.

It's possible that, once all the above is done, given the extra filtration, I may consider adding a third and final shoal of fish which would bring me up to full stocking capacity.

Does this sound sensible enough?  Also, would I be correct in thinking that if the Clearjet 1 were fully cycled, then a QT could be set up on an as-needed basis  ie immediately as the need arose by simply transferring across the filter and some of the water from the main tank?

Sorry for the long posting. Everything has been going well so far with my 6 x-ray tetras and 6 pygmy cories, and I want to keep it that way! Many thanks.

Offline Sue

Re: Changing filter - what process?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
The zeolite in the filter - assuming it has been in there a while it should be full of ammonia by now, though I don't know if that means it won't absorb any medication you may add in the future. The same applies to the carbon in the cartridge.
How many cartridges are in the Marina filter, just one? Hagen does say that the filter also has
The Bio-Screen, with its large surface area, is designed to promote the growth of friendly bacteria.
so there is something for the bacteria besides the cartridge(s).

The Marina filter holds all the bacteria needed for the fish you currently have. They do not just migrate home because there is another filter in the tank so adding the Clearjet and doing nothing else will not make bacteria grow in there in any great numbers. As the bacteria in the Marina reach the end of their life span you might get replacement bacteria growing in the Clearjet but more likely in the Marina.

What I would do is firstly make a slit in the Marina's cartridge and empty some of the contents, and at the same time set up the Clearjet in the tank. I said the bacteria won't migrate to the Clearjet if you do nothing else, but removing some of the media from the Marina is doing something else. It is removing some bacteria so you have to grow more. A week later I would remove the rest of the cartridge contents and if possible cut the outer layers of the cartridge off the support and squeeze them into the Clearjet alongside the sponge. There will be some bacteria in the outer layer and they will migrate into the sponge better if they are in physical contact.
Then get some sponge and cut it to fit in the plastic frame from the cartridge and put that into the Marina filter.

Just in case, keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels each time you remove cartridge contents, but you should be OK with the 'bio-screen' in the Marina as well as the cartridge.

After a month or so, the bacteria should have spread into both filters, and you won't have any carbon or zeolite to worry about if you ever need to medicate the tank. And either filter will be fine moved to a quarantine tank. It will take that month or so for the bacteria to colonise the new media (the sponge in the Clearjet and the sponge replacing the cartridge in the marina) so I wouldn't take either out for a QT for a few weeks.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
Thanks for posting this fcmf, I was just about to post a similar question when I saw yours.

I would like opinions please.  As you may know we have our little 22 litre Aquanano 22/30 which has now had it's first babies added.
We have started off with 6 Endlers from our local MA. They gifted us an extra one because I couldn't make up my mind whether to get fully stocked all in one go  and the fish were 5 for £11 and I wanted 11 or 12 of them.
Unfortunately, despite the fact that MS taped the bottom of the bag the last one kept getting stuck in a fold near the tape and I had trouble getting him out and in the end had to cut the bag a little way from him and let him out that way.  He never looked happy and within a couple of hours he started "spiralling" and sinking before trying to swim and eventually he sunk to the bottom but I cannot find him and haven't seen him since so assume he didn't make it.

Four more disappeared completely and we were left with just one very active one.
I was so upset, couldn't see the little darlings anywhere.
I didn't even want to look in the tank this morning and having criticised number 2 grandson's overstocked tank didn't know how I was going to admit that within a few hours of putting them in the tank I had killed them !!

Looking at the lone survivor after breakfast I noticed there were TWO, then three then four and five . Pheww!! Great relief and excitement.  Goodness knows where they have been. (Although I do have a "dip" at the back with a little clay pot arch.)

I am now paranoid that I am going to lose them!!  They seem active, have fed a bit and have been exploring the tank.
So the only missing one now is the one that got stuck and probably damaged by me trying to release him.

Since I started cycling the tank I have had a homemade sponge filter in there together with the overpowered supplied filter. This was with the intent of having a ready made filter to go in the hospital tank should it be needed.

These fish are tiny tiny things and I was worried that the spray bar I made to reduce the flow  would still make it too powerful for them but I've just noticed they seem to be "playing" in it.

They didn't seem to like the bigger bubbles from the sponge filter and avoided that part of the tank.  I have now turned that one off and almost straight away they were swimming around it and seemed to be eating algae from the top of it.

My question is this:
If I leave this sponge filter turned off but still in the same tank, will I still have the bacteria which I hope has been growing in there over the past 5-6 weeks. Would it help if I turned it back on for an hour of so a day to refresh the water in it. Best of both worlds.

Sorry, that was a long winded way to ask a basic question but I wanted to set the scene!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.  Everything I've read (and was told by MA) suggests that these Endlers are hardy but having managed to kill one before he'd even had a look around it'd made me very nervous in case I lose them all.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 06:52:14 PM »
The one that died could have had something wrong with it that made it hide in the corner of the bag even before it left the shop tank, so don't worry about the others yet. They are strong swimmers so a current shouldn't be much trouble for them.

The sponge filter, is it the kind that is driven by an air pump? If it is, can the pressure on the air pump be turned down or a bleed tube added to it to leak out some air and slow down the bubbles? To keep the bacteria in the sponge it should be left on all the time as they like water flow past them bringing oxygen and food (ammonia and nitrite). If they don't find conditions they like in the sponge they may not multiply in there and as they die a natural death they'd be replaced by other bacteria multiplying elsewhere.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sue.  Yes it's just a simple air pump, no bleed or anything. Perhaps I could make a pin hole in the tubing, That might work eh?

One of the Endlers is a bully and keeps charging the others and going nose to nose with them. Hope he doesn't frighten them to death. I'm pretty good at that myself!!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »
Thanks ever so much, Sue - very helpful explanation generally on the process and also on steps to take. Very much appreciated!

Yes, the filter just has the one cartridge. Although the plastic bioscreen will hold some of the bacteria, it seems odd to me that the filter has been designed in such a way that the entire cartridge (with 2 polyester, carbon-/zeolite-filled compartments but held strongly together and not designed to be taken apart) has to be removed, to be replaced by an entirely new one, rather than for one of the two compartments to be detachable at a time, allowing for the transfer of bacteria onto a new compartment.  It also seems with its design that, in the event that it needed to be removed when medicating, the entire filter cartridge would need to be removed, leaving only a plastic bioscreen and nothing to trap the fish waste/debris. Both seem odd to me.

Anyway, thanks again for your help - I'll start on this now.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
It is designed that way to try to force you to buy new ones on a regular basis, to make more money from you.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
And it doesn't matter to the company that you will throw away a lot of your bacteria when you change the cartridge  >:(

Sanjo, I must admit that in several years of having endlers (both pure bred with pedigrees 10 years ago and hybrids more recently) I have never had a bully among them. They do chase each other but never one being aggressive. Perhaps he'll calm down once they have settled in thoroughly. Although rogue individuals in any species can happen.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
He is a definite bully. He chases them and their top fins go down as they swim away but his is upright. Will probably get the rest on Tuesday so he'll have more competition

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Changing filter - what process?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
by SteveS
2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 10:53:14 AM
by Narm1971
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
by Fishx4
16 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 08:07:48 PM
by Diz1
9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
by bferg4
22 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:56:22 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 08:59:32 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: