Changin The Media In Filter

Author Topic: Changin the media in filter  (Read 6607 times) 9 replies

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
Changin the media in filter
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have just brought new foam and carbon filters for my Interpet PF1 filter. The filter works fine but as it is now 4 months old I am changing the media.

Advises please on how to change. I am up to speed not to change all at once and cut in half the media so bacteria continues to establish. Any further advise will be much appreciated.

50ltr tank, set up 4 months, internal filter, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite, 0ppm, nitrate 20-25ppm, PH 7.5-8
live plants, 24-25 degrees water, 3 leopard danio, 3 zebra danio, 6 glowlight tetra

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Changin the media in filter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
If it's all working fine then don't change them. You don't need Carbon at all, and the foam will carry on 'working' until it falls apart - except for the occasional squeeze in old tank water. All this changing filter media is just a scam by the manufacturers to extract money from us.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »
Hi Colin, thanks for the quick reply

being new to the hobby, just over 4 months I want to believe everything that is written on the box and the info leaflets. I have now ditched these and the font of knowledge on here is fantastic and better than any manual.

Looks like I may have wasted my £8 but luckily still have the receipt

Cheers Jay

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
No probs.....

.....there's some good info here.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:08 PM »
Since I leaned about not changing media several years ago, I haven't changed any at all.  My sponges are still as 'springy' as ever and my substrat pro is showing no sign of crumbling.

Googling your filter, it looks like it has plain sponges and a carbon sponge, and the pics of the two types look as though they are the same size. You could always replace the carbon sponge with a plain one. The only time I use carbon is if the fish are sick - it removes the medication after the treatment has finished. I use loose carbon in a mesh bag in a separate small filter when I need it.

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »
Hi Sue,

The filter i have does indeed have a black carbon filter and a white sponge filter. From what the manufacturer says you need to have the carbon filter. I assumed this is them trying to get you to buy and spend more money as per the entry from Colin. it is good to have the reassurance of all the members on here for any questions that i have. The reason i was looking to change the filters is that i have just done a tank clean and the water has become slightly cloudy and thought the filter media was on its way out. 24 hours on and the water is nearly crystal clear again. Is there any use in using the Filter Aid liquid that Pets at Home recommend to keep water clear? I have only used this once before and to be honest doesn't male that much difference.

Jay

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
Carbon has only a few uses - it removes medication after a treatment has finished, it removes the brown colour that leaches out of bogwood, and it removes peculiar smells.
The reason it is in new filters is historical. Going back several decades, the nitrogen cycle was not known to fish keepers. They rarely did water changes as they considered them dangerous to their fish, and the water slowly turned yellow because of all the things secreted by the fish and plants, if they had any. They didn't like this yellow colour, so they had filters to removes it. My parents had a book dating back to the 1960s on how do do repairs, and there was a section on fish (how to repair a leaky tank with putty; how to change the diaphragm in an air pump; how to repair a faulty heater thermostat) and it showed a cross secton through a filter. It was just a box containing carbon granules with a layer of filter wool on top, and water was sucked through by an air pump.
People resist change. Even after the nitrogen cycle became understood, and filters evolved through undergravel ones to today's filters, fishkeepers still wanted their carbon. So manufacturers included it in the box. And new fishkeepers found the carbon in the package so assumed it was necessary.

If you mean Interpet Filter Aid, I never found that worked very well. What might help is to replace the carbon sponge with a superfine pad rather than another plain sponge. They will catch smaller particles than a plain sponge but will be a home to the filter bacteria.

The water can become cloudy after a water change as cleaning the gravel (assuming you did that) can throw up light debris into the water column. The filter should suck it up quite quickly, especially if you had a fine pad (or even a layer of filter wool) inside the filter. And this debris is then washed out when you clean the filter by squeezing the sponges/pads in water that you take out during a water change.

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
Hi Sue,

Yes it was Interpet filter aid. Think i will but some superfine pads as i had a sample when i first got the tank and used it and yes the water was amazingly crystal clear. I will try and get some photographs up soon of the setup i have as i know everyone likes photos.

Jay

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Ooo...goody! :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »
We all do like our photos! Looking forward to seeing them!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Changin the media in filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 10:53:14 AM
by Narm1971
1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
29 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 08:31:37 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 10:26:29 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 08:13:59 AM
by BT Bob
2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2021, 04:10:36 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: