Bottled Bacteria - What Works And What Doesn't

Author Topic: Bottled Bacteria - What Works and What Doesn't  (Read 5231 times) 7 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Bottled Bacteria - What Works and What Doesn't
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:05:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi Folks,

I thought it might be useful to list the bottled bacteria products that have proved effective and those that failed to do the job. When I say 'bottled bacteria', I have in mind both the liquid products and those that are sold as bacteria balls, for example.

I am fully aware that there are many factors that determine the success or failure of cycling a tank. I myself have conducted well-controlled experiments with a variety of bottled bacteria. Most of these products contain the all-important nitrifying bacteria but some aim to go the extra mile. For example, aquavitro (Seachem) seed contains both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria.

In summary, I have had success with Tetra Safe Start but failures with both aquavitro seed and Fritz-Zyme Turbo Start 700.

I look forward to hearing about the experiences of other users.

JPC

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
Re: Bottled Bacteria - What Works and What Doesn't
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
+1 for Tetra Safe Start chez the Cookmeister...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Am I the only person that uses bottled bacteria?

JPC  :o

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
When initially cycling my tank, I tried a fishless cycle using the fish food method but couldn't really get it going properly (I also suspect my next-to-no KH had a role in the lack of cycling too but, at the time, I didn't know that or about the addition of bicarbonate of soda), then used Tetra Safestart.

When setting up the hospital/quarantine tank, I use a portion of mature filter media from the main tank but also wrap it in some new foam with Tetra Safestart added to it.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »
Earlier in the year my tank's cycle stalled and I had to do a fish-in cycle to get it back up and running. After a couple of weeks of very slow progress, I grabbed a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and it really helped get things going a lot faster, so it gets my vote too.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
When initially cycling my tank, I tried a fishless cycle using the fish food method but couldn't really get it going properly (I also suspect my next-to-no KH had a role in the lack of cycling too but, at the time, I didn't know that or about the addition of bicarbonate of soda), then used Tetra Safestart.

When setting up the hospital/quarantine tank, I use a portion of mature filter media from the main tank but also wrap it in some new foam with Tetra Safestart added to it.

Hi fcmf,

Thanks for the feedback. You're correct in saying that adequate KH plays a vital role in cycling a tank. It provides the fundamental building material on which all life depends, i.e. carbon. Without carbon, the bacteria cannot survive and multiply.

Adding Tetra SafeStart to your hospital/quarantine tank will have helped establish the biological filter.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
Earlier in the year my tank's cycle stalled and I had to do a fish-in cycle to get it back up and running. After a couple of weeks of very slow progress, I grabbed a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and it really helped get things going a lot faster, so it gets my vote too.

Hi Fishbeard,

Thanks for your reply.

And, just in case anyone is wondering - no, I do not work for Tetra nor do I have any affiliations with them whatsoever!

JPC

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
Tetra Safe Start never used to work, but it works well these days because they ditched their own attempts and bought Dr Tim’s ‘recipe’.

Dr Tim’s also works of course.

Waterlife Biomature has worked very well since the 1960s.

In the 90s when I was in the trade I tested all of them, about half a dozen. There was no Dr Tim’s then so TSS was useless. In fact the only one that worked at all was the Biomature.

Tags: bacteria bottled 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bottled Bacteria - What Works and What Doesn't"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
48 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 09:31:49 AM
by ColR1948
8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 12:05:24 PM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 01:53:01 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 09:34:01 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:45:41 AM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2017, 09:37:41 PM
by Trish
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2017, 06:08:25 PM
by togtaff

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: