Author Topic: API master test kit - test tubes  (Read 4528 times) 10 replies

Offline Andys101

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
API master test kit - test tubes
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all.

I'm happy with the kit, but the caps on the test tubes are utterly rubbish so when you shake them to mix the contents they leak!

Is it me?  :yikes:

Am I doing something wrong?  :yikes:

Can you suggest an alternative?

Thanks everyone in advance.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Neon Tetra (7) - Glowlight Tetra (8) - Blue Tetra (8) - Silver Tip Tetra (6) - Lampeye Panchax (7) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (3) - Panda Cory (9) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (5) - Sterbas Cory (8) - Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (12) - Brilliant Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (6) - Sterbas Cory (14) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: API master test kit - test tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »
I find that with the Waterlife ones. Quite impressed with JBL's testing kit, at least for ammonia.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Try a disposable centrifuge sample tube, the ones I use have screw tops and can be discarded after a number of test (monthly for me) You won't be able the read the sample in them but you can decant back into the test tube for that. A few months ago a posted a reply to another user giving more detail of the methods I use and some more tips, I will see if I can find it again and will give you the url later

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:44:43 PM »
@Andys101 Here is the other post if it helps

@suzie61
I 100% agree with your comments on the inadequacy of the colour charts. I went through that same "What the Hell?" phase when I started. It gets worse when you buy your second and third test kit and find different colour cards in each!
I found three solutions, one is quick and easy, the second is just an improved test method the final more involved but completely solves the problem.
The quick solution is to google images of the colour charts and find an accurate one - I know that a stupid statement but what I mean is find one that 'looks' correct, that does actually transition from yellow through to whatever the darkest colour is in progressive steps without repeats (I have even seen even inversions in the charts!)
Once you have a good one view it on a tablet and zoom in so its nice a large with part of the white background in the view. Then hold the tube with it backlit by this white area. I accept this may also not be a perfect reading method but it is very consistent and much easier to read as it removes the variability of lighting.

A couple of other things I then do to improve the test itself.
No 1 Always but always shake the solution bottles, especially bottle 2 of the Nitrate test. Shake and bang this one to death before starting the test and then again as the instruction say before adding it, this will ensure the solution is fully suspended. It will give a better immediate test result and more importantly, doesn't allow the solution to get progressively more concentrate over the months as it is used up. I have seem people complain about 50ppm differences between old and new kits but I have done the same and been within 3ppm NitrAte so this does work.

Mark the tubes so you always use the same tube for the same test, and wash them well and straight after testing, this reduces the contamination.

Those were the big ones, the next are optional.
The test tube volumes are not consistent - try pouring from one to another and you probably see a difference. I now use a 5ml syringe that I blagged from the practice nurse (careful how you ask, unless you want some drug counselling :) ) these are much more accurate and remove the need to read the meniscus.

I don't use the test tubes for mixing the test but have a supply of disposable centrifuge phials, the tops actually seal and again you can give them a good shake and discard them after a couple of dozen tests to again reduce the possibility of contamination.

The final fix is a big one and I absolutely accept its not for everyone, but it is the gold standard.
I found a low(ish) cost colourimeter, it was $100 but it has the colour spectrum for all the API tests built in.
It its just a techy way of reading the colours but its much more accurate than the eye and massively better than the stupid colour charts.
I think it is actually much more accurate than is required, I believe it can repeatedly test water samples to within a ppm. This is definitely not required for NitrAte, but for Ammonia and NitrIte this sort of accuracy is fantastic, and I still think its the best bit of kit I have ever bought. But there again, I'm weird :)
Regards
Andy

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
I hold mine in a piece of kitchen role as I shake them. They only seep a miniscule bit, not affecting the readings (so I have found).

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
I hold the tube with my thumb underneath and forefinger on the lid and squeeze. They don't leak that way.

Of course stronger members might need to take care they don't squeeze too hard .......

The worst tests are GH and KH because you add a drop, shake, remove the lid, add another drop, shake, remove the lid, add another drop etc etc to the end point and the lid dribbles when it is removed after each drop.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
I looked into this a while back and may pick it up again, I ordered two batches of different Pyrex tubes (approx 12 each per type).

The first were only just large enough to hold 5ml of test water meaning that for the tests requiring lots of drops ie. Nitrate, 16 drops, there wasn't enough room at the top of the tube to give the solution a good agitation. Plus the caps were rubbish blue plastic type that would often pop off of their own accord!

The second batch were big enough but similar to the API tubes, fragile and again the caps weren't what I wanted. I complained and got a refund for mis-selling as the seller stated they were Pyrex. They definitely were not... I cracked the first one between two (gloved) fingers!

I'll be doing more digging on tinterweb and will update my findings. When I find some decent tubes I'll build up some test tube holders and see if anyone fancies taking one off me to trial and get some feedback.

Offline Andys101

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
@Paddyc
I would be interested,  thanks.

Black Neon Tetra (7) - Glowlight Tetra (8) - Blue Tetra (8) - Silver Tip Tetra (6) - Lampeye Panchax (7) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (3) - Panda Cory (9) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (5) - Sterbas Cory (8) - Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (12) - Brilliant Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (6) - Sterbas Cory (14) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »

@Andys101 I use something like these, they are especially good for the KH and GH test.
I don't use the 5ml level indicator - not even when using the supplied tubes because I noticed the volume varies. I snaffled a medical syringe as mentioned below.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-15ml-Sterile-plastic-centrifuge-test-tube-vial-container-powder-craft-PP-/111521797831

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
@Andy the minion I also use those centrifuge tubes, but luckily my boss allowed me to take a few packs from work, so they even come in cardboard racks - very handy.  :)
I do tend to read the colour from the centrifuge tube, but my tests tend to be very consistant, so I'd only go with a clear tube to reassess a sample if there was any doubt.

Offline Andys101

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
They look cool.
I'm going to have a butchers on eBay.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "API master test kit - test tubes"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 01:36:52 PM
by Nat
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2017, 09:01:50 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 01:34:43 PM
by Aquamaid
19 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 09:47:08 PM
by Extreme_One
3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 08:33:01 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2017, 11:53:35 PM
by Aquarius Barbara

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: