Andy M Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Andy M fishless cycle  (Read 49597 times) 241 replies

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Andy M fishless cycle
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I will see what its at the next couple of days after 12 hours, ( I may not dose ammonia till around 8 o clock tonight so I don't have to be up at 6 for the 12 hour test). If it gets double zeros then all well and good, if not I will part stock maybe on Tuesday. If I part stock will I need regular water changes like I would with a "fish in" cycle?

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
You're so close now definitely don't give up! Sounds like youll have a tank of fish in no time :-)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
If you part stock and your ammonia and nitrite stay at zero at your twice a day tests (I would carry on with that for a few days just to make sure) then you only need do weekly water changes. But if either or both show up in any test then you would need to do a water change.
You aren't in the same situation as fish-in cycling as you already have a lot of bacteria, just not quite enough to process 3ppm ammonia in 12 hours. But there should be plenty to process the ammonia from half a tank of fish. There may even be enough for a full load of fish but I don't want to say go and get all your fish and you report back in a couple of days that you have ammonia and/or nitrite. Half a load with no am & nit is better than a full load with some am & nit. And although you won't have all your fish, at least you'll have some.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
That's true. I will see how I go the next couple of days and maybe get some fish on Tuesday if all is ok

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
Day 29

24 hour test

Ammonia zero

nitrite zero

Added 3ml ammonia to 3ppm, also got java fern in now to hopefully help with nitrates

Offline jesnon

« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
Fingers crossed your 12 hour readings drop now too

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
Been hoping that the last 3 days, took 17 hours last night/ this morning

Offline jesnon

« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
I know it seems to be going on forever but your cycle has actually been quite quick so far and you will get there! Looking forward to seeing pics of your tank and fish soon!

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
Day 30

12 hour test

Ammonia zero

Nitrite 1 or 2  ppm

Did a 50/50 test with tank/tap water and got 0.25 so in theory my tank should be 0.5 ppm

Offline Sue

« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
I would go with a half load of fish. You have enough bacteria for that number of fish and it'll put fish in your tank. A few fish are better than none at all. It was a lot easier for me as while I had an empty cycling tank I also had two other tanks full of fish.

Gpoing from this list:
think I will be going for honey gouramis......... golden headed purple harlequin ...... Galaxy rasboras, cherry barbs, lemon tetra  and some kind of cory. 

I would look at the harlequins and cherry barbs as first fish. And if you change you mind back to lemon tetras, those as well. Leave the cories a while as some species can be a bit sensitive (not quite as bad a neons but along those lines). Gouramis and galaxies as the second and third batches of fish. So for example - shoals of harlies and cherries first. In 2 weeks, assuming your ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, a pair of honey gouramis. Two weeks after that, a shoal of galaxies (or celestial pearl danios as their correct name is for the time being; it keeps geting changed). Then in a couple of months, the cories.

Word of warning I'd missed before - your water might be a tad on the hard, alkaline side for galaxies. Is there anyhting else that you like that could replace them in your list?

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
Thanks Sue, I will leave it one more day I think and probably get 5 cherry barb and five harlequin. As for the galaxies, I will have a couple of weeks at least to find an alternative. So I will be ok for ten fish yeah?

Offline Sue

« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
Ten will be fine. 6 each would be better though. It is thought that shoaling fish lose count at 6. With 6 or more, they consider themselves in a shoal whereas with 5 or less they can get stressed as the number is small enough for them to realise they aren't in a shoal. In the wild, shoals number in the hundreds.

If you want a small colourful fish that would do well at high pH and hardness, I can thoroughly recommend endlers, though the fish in shops are all endler guppy hybrids rather than pure endler. Most Maidenhead Aquatics stock them and they do come in a variety of colour patterns. Males only though - females are larger, pale grey and have fry every 4 weeks.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
I'd also agree with Sue that endlers are great little fish :-)

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
Well six it shall be then, wonder why the shops sell them singularly or in fives?
I may go for the endler option too then if I can get all males (remember jesnon saying shop found it hard to sex them). Are they hardy enough? I thought they were from the guppy family? Does it need to be 6 of these too?

Offline Sue

« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
I've always wondered why so many shops sell them at so-much for 5 rather than 6. If you had a big enough tank, or only a few species, the way to go would be 10 of each, but that does mean only half the species you could have with 6 each.

Endlers are a lot hardier than guppies as they have not yet been subjected to the same inbreeding. And being closely related it means they do not suffer problems with being cross bred with guppies. If you go for fish around the inch mark, if they are coloured they are males. Females are always plain grey as are fry of both sexes, but males do develop colour quite small, smaller than the fish in shops. Just choose endlers that are colourful and they'll be males.

I have 8 male endlers in my 125 litre. They don't seem to realise there are other fish in the tank. They stay as a group (maybe the odd one will wander off for a while) and though they do chase each other it's only for a few seconds then they chase another one. And they display to each other which can look a bit odd the first time you see it (fins spread, body curved and sort of twitching).
Endlers are not shoaling fish but they do seem to like the company of others. 5 or 6 would be fine.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
Thanks Sue, think I will go for 5 endlers, 6 harlequin to start off. Then add 2 honey gourami, then will have to decide on either getting cherry barbs or waiting a while longer and getting neon tetra and corys

Offline Sue

« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
That sounds like a good plan  :D

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
Just been to take a look at the endlers in MA. Lovely fish, was expecting them to be priced same as guppies, how wrong was I?  :o . Also saw some hengeli harlequin that looked nice

Offline jesnon

« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
 :) Sounds great Andy, they are really lovely colourful things - i love mine and they're the only fish I can keep with my small tank! If you want some slightly different colours for your endlers have a look around some of your local shops as they may sell different varieties. In my tank I managed to get yellow tiger endlers, black bar,Japanese blue and pure endler. They are quite colourful generally and you may find your LFS of choice stocks different kinds, but i got a varied batch by going to three different shops in the end!

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
Been to 4 shops today but only MA had them in so if I do get them it will have to be from there. Another shop ten mins from MA were a lot cheaper for other fish but had nowhere near the choice

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Andy M fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: