Ammonia around 2 ppm

nitrite 5 or over

Seems to have gone backwards

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Andy M fishless cycle
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It might be worth adding real plants too at some point down the line.

Hmm that does seem odd. I'm assuming nitrate 5 means nitrite? I remember you said your nitrate was really really high, and someone suggested (I think Steve?) whilst I was cycling that high nitrate levels can sometimes stall a cycle, so it may be worth doing a large water change to bring the nitrate down and see if that improves things. Wait until your 24 hour results though, as it still does seem things are being eaten by then!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
Oh, how frustrating for you, Andy. Don't give up though....you're nearly there!  I think Jesnons right about the high nitrates may have caused a problem...Sue will know for sure though.

Have you got a particular reason for not having live plants?  My nitrate levels are also on the high side, but I have a fair bit of planting (live), and they really help keep the nitrates low (along with small water changes) which is very important for me, as I love the panda corys and they are sensitive to high nitrates. Also, the plants keep your tank changing appearance as they grow, but if you find they grow too much, you can just nip bits off.  They also give the fish something to hide in, investigate or just nibble at.

Anyway, I hope you soon get there...it won't be long before you'll be out fishy shopping ;)  Have you decided on what your first ones will be yet?

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
It might be worth adding real plants too at some point down the line.

Hmm that does seem odd. I'm assuming nitrate 5 means nitrite? I remember you said your nitrate was really really high, and someone suggested (I think Steve?) whilst I was cycling that high nitrate levels can sometimes stall a cycle, so it may be worth doing a large water change to bring the nitrate down and see if that improves things. Wait until your 24 hour results though, as it still does seem things are being eaten by then!

Yes i did mean nitrites, sorry, as for live plants i just didnt want to go down that route. I've got enough to be going on with once i get fish ( if ever) without having to look after plants too

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
Oh, how frustrating for you, Andy. Don't give up though....you're nearly there!  I think Jesnons right about the high nitrates may have caused a problem...Sue will know for sure though.

Have you got a particular reason for not having live plants?  My nitrate levels are also on the high side, but I have a fair bit of planting (live), and they really help keep the nitrates low (along with small water changes) which is very important for me, as I love the panda corys and they are sensitive to high nitrates. Also, the plants keep your tank changing appearance as they grow, but if you find they grow too much, you can just nip bits off.  They also give the fish something to hide in, investigate or just nibble at.

Anyway, I hope you soon get there...it won't be long before you'll be out fishy shopping ;)  Have you decided on what your first ones will be yet?Resa
  :)

Think my choices are limited so may be cherry barbs, glowlight danio, honey gourami and some kind of cory

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
It could be your high nitrate inhibiting the nitrite eaters somewhat. You've grown enough to remove the nitrite from 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours, but seem to be stuck growing enough to get rid of it in 12 hours.

I've looked back through the thread and this seems to be the summary:

Day 20 - 24 hours: am zero, nit zero. Dosed to 2ppm
Day 21 - 24 hours: am zero, nit .25. Dosed to 3ppm
Day 22 - 24 hours: am zero, nit 2 to 5. Dosed to 3ppm
Day 24 - 24 hours: am zero, nit zero. Dosed to 4ppm
Day 25 - 12 hours: am 1, nit 5. 24 hours: am zero, nit zero. Dosed to 4ppm
Day 26 - 12 hours: am 0.5, nit 5. 24 hours: am zero, nit zero. Dosed to 4ppm
Day 27 - 12 hours: am 2, nit 5+. Not reached 24 hours yet.

It does look as though both have stopped dropping as much as they were yesterday at 12 hours.
3 possiblilties.
You accidentally dosed more than 4ppm ammonia last night (did you check the ppm afterwards? I didn't because I just added the same amount I had been adding)
The high nitrate is inhibiting the bacteria.
Your pH has crashed - easily checked.

It's not likely to be the pH with your hard water but it is worth checking just to eliminate it as a cause.
See what the readings are this evening. They have been zero at the 24 hour tests for the last three days so if they are not zero this evening, either you did add too much ammonia or something's affecting the bacteria.
If they are above zero, don't add any more ammonia and see what happens tomorrow. If the readings are still the same tomorrow morning, I would do a water change then tomorrow evening just dose to 3ppm. And I would also stick to 3ppm until the cycle has finished. That amount will grow you enough bacteria. And it won't make as much nitrate as 4ppm.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
I didn't check afterwards Sue, As 1ml got me 1ppm and 2ml 2ppm etc, I just assumed 4ml would get me to 4ppm. Having looked at an ammonia calculator on another forum, it would appear my tank is 81 lts and not the 90 i thought it was so maybe i have been overdosing from day 1

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
Day 27

24 hour test
Ammonia zero
Nitrite zero
Ph 8

Did a 50% water change then added 3ml ammonia to hopefully get me 3ppm and no more

Offline Sue

« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
At least the readings were zero at 24 hours and your pH is fine. That's such a quick test to do it is always worth checking to eliminate it as a problem.

I didn't check the ammonia after each addition, just occasionally to make sure I really was adding what I thought I was adding.

Tank volumes are often less than the manufacturers state, and then the decor displaces water too. My 125 litre does hold 125 litres to the mark when empty but my 54 litre holds that volume filled right to the brim which you can do or you risk it overflowing. That's why I call it a 50 litre tank as there's a half inch gap between the water and the rim.
But given the test kits can't be that accurate with the jumps in ppm between the colours, adding the right dose for 90 litres to an 81 litre tank won't be that far out.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
Ah well that's something. See what tomorrow morning brings although may be slightly more than 12 hours cos  i'm off work but if I wake early I will test at usual time 6 o clock

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »
Day 28

12 hour test

Ammonia zero

Nitrate 0.25

I assume the water change yesterday helped and I don't need to do another one yet?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »
Looking good!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
Assuming that's nitrite at 0.25 (the API nitrate test can't measure that low), it's definitely looking good. You won't need another water change for cycling purposes but you'll probabaly need another one just before you get your fish as the nitrate level will be creeping back up.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Assuming that's nitrite at 0.25 (the API nitrate test can't measure that low), it's definitely looking good. You won't need another water change for cycling purposes but you'll probabaly need another one just before you get your fish as the nitrate level will be creeping back up.

Ooops I did it again, yes I did mean nitrite, it was early in the morning  ;D

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
Day 28

24 hour test

Ammonia zero

Nitrite zero,  Added 3 ml ammonia

Offline Sue

« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
That water change seems to have done the trick  ;D

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »
Hopefully so, fingers crossed for double zeros in the morning

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2013, 06:57:59 AM »
Day 29

Ammonia 0.5 ppm

Nitrite between 2 and 5

So frustrating, thinking of either getting fish and hoping for best or just giving up

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »
Just tested again (14 hours) and ammonia zero, nitrite looks 1 or 2

17 hours and nitrite is almost zero, its not the sky blue zero colour but also not got the hint of purple that represents 0.25ppm

Offline Sue

« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
It was that hint of purple stage at 12 hours that I gave in and got fish  ;D Though having said that, I cycled to 2ppm and the community creator says that 1 betta in a 25 litre tank is only 20% stocked so I'd probably got way more bacteria than I needed even with that hint of purple.

In your shoes, I'd either wait a few more days and see if you can get to that hint of pruple or even blue in 12 hours, or there is another option. Get some fish but not all you want. You'll have enough bacteria for half your planned stocking with no problems. It will mean you'll have to continue getting more fish like for a fish-in cycle but at least you'd have some in the tank. If you do decide to do this, get around half of the fish you want to get, wait a couple of weeks then get more; a third of what you'll already have. Then a couple of weeks later, another third-of-what-you-already-have and so on till you've got all your fish.

Whichever you decide keep an eye on the ammonia & nitrite levels after you get fish till you are sure the filter is coping, and also every time you add more fish

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Andy M fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: