Andy M Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Andy M fishless cycle  (Read 49592 times) 241 replies

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Andy M fishless cycle
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ok. Will test again around six o clock, expecting no change but will then add cycle

TigzFish

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
Sorry for the constant questioning but without yours, and others help on here I think I would have given it up as a bad job by now

Questions are good, keep them coming.  Getting through the cycle is the most difficult portion, which is why all but a tiny fraction of Fish Shops do not tell the truth about it.  If an LFS were to spell out exactly what was required, most people would simply not bother buying a tank; they are commercial, they must sell stuff to survive.  However, it *is* worth the pain, I absolutely guarantee it.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Sorry for the constant questioning but without yours, and others help on here I think I would have given it up as a bad job by now

Questions are good, keep them coming.  Getting through the cycle is the most difficult portion, which is why all but a tiny fraction of Fish Shops do not tell the truth about it.  If an LFS were to spell out exactly what was required, most people would simply not bother buying a tank; they are commercial, they must sell stuff to survive.  However, it *is* worth the pain, I absolutely guarantee it.

Thanks for that, will keep telling myself that

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
Don't worry Andy we've all been there! When my tank was stuck in the nitrite stage i was really starting to lose patience and think i should give up... But trust me it's worth it! I'm so glad i stuck out the cycle and touch wood things have been pretty simple and straightforward since with some happy fish!

If you do get desperate both me and Resa added terra safe start and it might have helped things along a bit (though it's impossible to tell really!).

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
At last!  Our internet has been down all day, and I have been getting withdrawals not being able to get on to 'Thinkfish'  ;)  I don't know how long it will last for, we have had some incredible downpours for the last 2 or 3 days.  The water is rushing down our drive and I could probably make some money by doing white water rafting ;D ;D Yesterday, just to make things even crazier, we had a massive hail storm.....mad!

Anyway Andy, don't give up!  It really is worth the effort...and frustration!  I too, thought I'd never get there sometimes (but then, I'm not known for my patience ;) )but my little happy band of bubble-blowers are all settled now.  It feels like I have always had them :)

As Jesnon said, we both tipped the 'Tetra Safe Start' in to our tanks, and whilst we have no real idea how much this may or may not have helped, I'm fairly convinced that it made a huge difference to the time it took for mine.  I would have to look back through my posts to tell you how long, but it was very short compared to what I had been expecting.
This particular filter seeder seems to have the best results of all of them.....so you decide, but good luck and don't lose heart. Use the time to really plan your set-up, I changed my mind a couple of times on what fish I was getting, (apart from the pandas ;)), also wished I'd gone straight for sand as opposed to gravel and actually prefer some other plants to what I have.
So, have a look at some of the aquascapes on the net, and relish choosing what you want your tank to look like without rushing it.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
Its ready and waiting, nothing special, few plastic plants and ornaments. Just needs fish at some point

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »
I forgot all about mentioning Tetra Safe Start  :-[

Quick history lesson.
The research on the filter bacteria was done by an American called Tim Hovanec. He identified the species of nitrite eaters that lives in our filters - before his work it was thought to be a different species, one which grows in the wild but not in aquariums. He invented a bottled bacteria called Bio Spira, which was marketed by Marineland, the company he worked for. This worked, provided it was kept refrigerated all the way from the factory to your tank. Bottles that were allowed to warm up anywhere along the supply chain failed to work. There was also a UK equivalent called Bactinettes which you might find mention of. It is no longer made.
Tim Havonec left Marineland and set up his own company making a product called Dr Tim's One and Only, which also works, again provided it is treated properly along the supply chain. It is very hard to find this in the UK.
Marineland was taken over by Tetra. The story I've heard is that Tim Havonec patented Bio Spira under his own name (though I thought all companies insist it is done in the company name  :-\ ) so Marineland and then Tetra couldn't use his forumulation once he left the company. Tetra has developed it's own bottled bacteria based on Tim Havonec's work, though not identical for patent reasons - Safe Start. It does not need to be refrigerated but it is damaged if it gets too warm (or even too cold), thought to be the reason that it does fail to work on many occassions. But it is the brand that works most often.

If you decide to get some, look for the bottle with the longest shelf life!

Offline Resa

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
Oops....yes, forgot to mention get the longest expiry date :-[

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
I forgot all about mentioning Tetra Safe Start  :-[

Quick history lesson.
The research on the filter bacteria was done by an American called Tim Hovanec. He identified the species of nitrite eaters that lives in our filters - before his work it was thought to be a different species, one which grows in the wild but not in aquariums. He invented a bottled bacteria called Bio Spira, which was marketed by Marineland, the company he worked for. This worked, provided it was kept refrigerated all the way from the factory to your tank. Bottles that were allowed to warm up anywhere along the supply chain failed to work. There was also a UK equivalent called Bactinettes which you might find mention of. It is no longer made.
Tim Havonec left Marineland and set up his own company making a product called Dr Tim's One and Only, which also works, again provided it is treated properly along the supply chain. It is very hard to find this in the UK.
Marineland was taken over by Tetra. The story I've heard is that Tim Havonec patented Bio Spira under his own name (though I thought all companies insist it is done in the company name  :-\ ) so Marineland and then Tetra couldn't use his forumulation once he left the company. Tetra has developed it's own bottled bacteria based on Tim Havonec's work, though not identical for patent reasons - Safe Start. It does not need to be refrigerated but it is damaged if it gets too warm (or even too cold), thought to be the reason that it does fail to work on many occassions. But it is the brand that works most often.

If you decide to get some, look for the bottle with the longest shelf life!

Is Nutrafin cycle not the same?

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »
Day 12

This evening, ammonia 0.25 ish

Nitrite, off the scale, deepest shade I have seen yet!!

Got some safe start, says add 5ml for every 6ltrs water. That'll be the 100ml bottle gone in one swoop whereas Nutrafin cycle is 10ml for every 40lts water.
Guess they're not the same

Offline Sue

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
Good news about the ammonia reading!

All these bottled bacteria products are different. Some even used the wrong species of bacteria (the one out in the wild rather than the tank one) but I think most of them have now changed to the right species.
The filter bacteria can survive in a bottle but in a sort of hibernation. When they are put in a tank they have almost no measureable activity. And they can live for only a year maximum in a bottle. Despite the claims of some products, there are no chemical additives that can extend the life, only refrigeration can, and how many of these bottles are in the fridge in a shop? Freezing the bottle and temps of 45oC can kill the bacteria, both of which can occur during transport and warehouse storage.

Nutrafin Cycle is a product that have not read any reports of it working. Tetra Safe Start - I have read reports of it working, but not instantly. It helps shorten a cycle when it works.

I have just been reading an article by Tim Havonec. He reckons that you need to get the nitrite level well below 5 before adding his bacteria product. Not doing this is one reason for the product not working. It's probably the same for Safe Start.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
Ooooops,  I've already put it in now

Offline Sue

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
I wouldn't worry. It might just slow things a bit.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
Oh no, slow enough already

Offline Sue

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
But hopefully it will be faster than it has been, just slower than what it could have been if you'd been able to do the water change.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »
I could have done one but don't particularly want to be doing them all through the cycle

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Day 13

Ammonia zero, another 0.5 ml added

Nitrite, off the scale

Offline Sue

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »
The nitrite is behaving quite typically. This stage is the longest one.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »
So carry on as normal?

Offline Sue

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
Yes.

Sorry, my laptop gets turned off ~7.45 which is why I seem so slow at replying.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Andy M fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: