Affinity Water And Sodium Hypochlorite

Author Topic: Affinity Water and sodium hypochlorite  (Read 6114 times) 6 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Affinity Water and sodium hypochlorite
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I emailed Affinity water to confirm they used chlorine, which is what the website said but the guy who replied said they use sodium hypochlorite.

Anybody know exactly what impact that would have on my fish if I didnt use water conditioner?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Affinity Water and sodium hypochlorite
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »
Your water definitely requires conditioning.

The chlorine ion dissolved in water is hypochlorite (Cl2O2), the same ion as found in regular household chlorine bleach like Clorox. There's no negative anion without a positive cation, so hypochlorite comes to you as sodium hypochlorite (NaCl2O2).

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chlorine-chloramine

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »
Chlorine itself is a gas and would be quite hard to dissolve in water in a controllable way. Sodium hypochlorite is a solid and it is very easy to add a solid to water in a controllable way.
Sodium hypochlorite decomposes to liberate chlorine. Affinity uses chlorine as their disinfectant, they just use hypochlorite as the safest, most convenient way of adding it.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:07 AM »
I don't suppose you'd know how long it would take the sodium hypochlorite to decompose Sue?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:08 PM »
Sodium Hypochlorite is simply the method of delivering the Chlorine into your water supply. It dissolves and releases free chlorine.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the most common method employed by most, if not all, UK water companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification#Chlorine_disinfection

The most common disinfection method involves some form of chlorine or its compounds such as chloramine or chlorine dioxide. Chlorine is a strong oxidant that rapidly kills many harmful micro-organisms. Because chlorine is a toxic gas, there is a danger of a release associated with its use. This problem is avoided by the use of sodium hypochlorite, which is a relatively inexpensive solution that releases free chlorine when dissolved in water. Chlorine solutions can be generated on site by electrolyzing common salt solutions. A solid form, calcium hypochlorite, releases chlorine on contact with water. Handling the solid, however, requires greater routine human contact through opening bags and pouring than the use of gas cylinders or bleach which are more easily automated. The generation of liquid sodium hypochlorite is both inexpensive and safer than the use of gas or solid chlorine.

ps. Sorry for answering when the Q was directed to Sue - I was just at work with a bit of free time and noticed the post.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »
Nah that's ok, if it releases free chlorine then the chlorine should evaporate off the water, negating the need for water conditioners. I wonder what happens to the sodium though?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
The sodium will be in the form of the ion Na+. Its charge will be balanced by any anion in the water eg Cl- or NO3-

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Affinity Water and sodium hypochlorite"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
27 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 07:57:15 PM
by Andy M
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 11:16:12 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 06:53:51 AM
by Gav
6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 07:25:15 PM
by Skittler

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: