Adding Fish To A Cycled Tank

Author Topic: Adding fish to a cycled tank  (Read 4975 times) 8 replies

Offline Mogwai

• Fishy Member
Adding fish to a cycled tank
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I finally finished my fishless cycle after nearly fifty days, and added my first fish this weekend. Hurray!

I was hoping to buy six Black Ruby Barbs and six Kuhli Loaches to go with the six Green Tiger Barbs I now have (which are great, btw). But my local MA advised adding the fish six at a time. I'm a bit worried I don't have enough fish to retain my bacteria, and effectively I will be doing a fish in cycle, which I went to a lot of trouble to avoid.

What do people think? There are a few other shops nearby, so I could go to one of them.

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Adding fish to a cycled tank
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:06:16 AM »
If you completed the full fishless cycle with ammonia then that should theoretically allow you to stock fully from the start. Fish shops never seem to understand the fishless cycle method.Also remember that the fish you buy will not be full adult size and so in effect you won't be stocking fully, but as the fish grow the number of bacteria should increase as well. If you delay adding more fish you would probably lose some bacteria but I think this is also exaggerated by people who don't really understand bacteria ...................
I'd go ahead and add all your fish, but whatever you do it's important that for the first few weeks you test very regularly for ammonia and nitrite and keep up with water changes.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »
I'm with Richard on this - bacteria didn't get to rule the world by dying immediately something went wrong.

I'd also keep a close eye on your tiger barbs and make sure they play nicely with your new additions. They have a reputation as nippy, but his is OK as long as there are enough of them to establish their pecking order between them. However; everybody's idea of 'enough' seems to be different and seems to be anywhere from 6 to 10.

I'd love to see photos and hear how you get on. My plan for my next tank (once we've moved house) is based around Tiger Barbs and Ruby Barbs.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Hi Mogwai, "fifty days" i don't know if to feel pleased or fed up as i'm on day 35 and ready to throw the towel in  :( did you keep a tank record at all of how it all went, id be interested to know if you had any stalls or set backs, or if it followed the course just slowly lol. Glad you finally got there, enjoy your fish shopping  :fishy1:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
Keep tight hold of that towel.... it's worth it!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »
Perhaps there's a market niche out there for selling old, used filter media which is just waiting to be exploited! Can't imagine how the advertising campaign would work though....

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
A teaspoon or so of good garden soil in the filter would be just as good. The bacteria are everywhere - except in tap water, which is why starting with a clean tank and tap water takes so long to get going.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
A teaspoon or so of good garden soil in the filter would be just as good.

Well that's just ruined my 10 year business plan  :(

I know you advocate garden soil for a Walstad-esque setup, but have you tried using it to seed the filter before? Seems like it would be something worth testing.

Offline Mogwai

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
Thanks all. I think I’ll stick to my local MA, but I’ll go in mid-week and hope they don’t remember exactly when I was last there   :)

Hi Aquamaid, I am quite patient and extremely stubborn, so probably would have waited 500 days if necessary  :) . I suppose there is a point when it makes sense to change tack if it is not working. But I was happy I stuck with it. It feels like a job well done, and you do see a few threads where people’s fish are struggling a bit with fish-in cycling.

It didn’t go entirely smoothly for me. I had to go away for work for a few days when I was near the end, and doing daily tests. When I got back the ammonia was not dropping as fast, so I went back to a partial dose. I lost a week, but did get back on track.

Two other things I noticed in case they help anyone else:
-   I bought some ammonia from Homebase. It said it was 9.5%, but unless there was a chemical reaction I have not thought of, it was actually a fair bit stronger, and I needed to use quite a bit less than the maths said.
-   I had a lot of trouble with algae, it killed some Tiger Lily’s and left everything else looking a bit mangy. I probably wouldn’t put the plants in until I got to the mid-point of the cycle next time. I probably made a mistake putting in some fertiliser balls at the start on the advice of my lfs too, since I think they were feeding the algae more than the plants - particularly in the diatom phase.

Thanks for the interest in my Barbs Colin, I’ll share my experience in a new thread.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Adding fish to a cycled tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
by jowjow1976
2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 07:18:06 PM
by evan47
6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 02:24:44 PM
by SteveS
19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 10:50:05 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 05:14:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: